Eastern power outages (8/14 - the ONLY thread)

Stefan

Enlightened
It wasn't until all local channels started covering it. It appears a large blackout is occuring in the eastern seaboard. Several cities effected include NYC, NY state, Cleaveland, Toronto (Canada)....too many to list. Heard something that the local hardware stores were busy, until word of flashlights being sold out.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Eastern power outages (Aug 14)

My first indication was when my UPS started beeping- I looked around quizzically, because the lights were still on, and the other UPS units didn't trip. About 15 seconds later, they tripped out as well. The room lights still were at 1/4 brightness for a bit, then went out entirely.

A coworker asked to borrow my KL1 to hit the head- just told him to be careful not to drop it in.. it'd be difficult to love a flashlight that's seen that kind of doody /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast

A friend of mine works for a big IT company and just called me from Detroit to tell me the power was out and he was one of only two people in the entire building that had a flashlight (the had a photon and an ARC LE, the other guy had a 5-c cell Maglite). Silly yankees, how unprepared...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

....and where is that nuclear power plant when you need it? .....oh! that's right can't use those any more.

Zephyr

Enlightened

Ya know, they should make it mandatory for everybody to carry an EDC light with them. I'm watching the news as we speak and I just can't imagine how's it's going to be like when it gets dark and people are still on the road trying to get to where they're suppose to be.

MichiganMan

Enlightened

We lost power in my office some time after 1:00pm EST.

It was... GREAT! Out came the Lightwave 4000 from my car, the Eternalight Ergo from my desk and, in order to get to my desk in the basement, my new Arc LSH-P! Ah, it was a great day. Too bad the stupid emergency lights on the exit signs cut down on the fun. I'm going to have to see what I can do about them...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast

I heard the power outage isn't terror related... but it could be flashaholic related! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Any Easterners here have an X990 or superlight?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

hawkhkg11

Enlightened

Wow, look at the CNN.com front page picture right now...I made a screen capture to remember this momentous and utterly flattering day...

batteries.jpg

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a feeling CPFers were NOT among those in that picture...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Darell

Flashaholic

I have somewhat ramdomly decided that this will be the one outage thread that we keep open.

Man, can't get any more exciting news than this, can we? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

stangster

Newly Enlightened

Heard of a major outage, had to come by here!

I can't believe in this time and age, something like this would happen!

Imagine the kaos that could result??

Gosh, I would love to be there in a few hours!
SF M6, Tigerlight, Spotlight, C3, E2e, SNII, ARC's and McModule all on person!! What fun!

Bwwwaahhh!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif Why couldn't this be happening here in LA!

stangster

Newly Enlightened

It would suck though if you were in an elevator right now..
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

hawkhkg11 -

Thanks. Definitley an historical pic. Gotta go screenshot it.

Roy didn't bite on my question yet so maybe you can tell me. How's your power grid doing? (Careful, it's a setup question.)

Canuke

Enlightened

The instant I heard, I resolved to come looking for stories from eastern CPF'ers, who are undoubtedly still basking in a popularity blip right now.

but for me, no... Minneapolis remains powered. Unfortunately, my web site and email are in Toronto /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

stangster

Newly Enlightened

Aparently, there was a lightning strike on a major power plant in Niagra Falls.

So Canada is affected as well as most of NY, NH etc.

ChrisA

Enlightened

Hope the people will be alright and that power will be up again before night fall...

Chris

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

There is absolutely NO reason for an outage like this, certainly not in the year 2003. This is unexcusable and someone should be fired over this. If my ATM network suffered a massive interruption of this scale due to infrastructure or human-error, my *** would be history before it even came back online. Fortuneatly for me, it's a hundred or so miles north of me, so I'm not affected.