NEXTORCH - 300 m long-shot E6        
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Eastern power outages (8/14 - the ONLY thread)

Flashaholic

Default Eastern power outages (8/14 - the ONLY thread)

It wasn't until all local channels started covering it. It appears a large blackout is occuring in the eastern seaboard. Several cities effected include NYC, NY state, Cleaveland, Toronto (Canada)....too many to list. Heard something that the local hardware stores were busy, until word of flashlights being sold out.

Default Re: Eastern power outages (Aug 14)

My first indication was when my UPS started beeping- I looked around quizzically, because the lights were still on, and the other UPS units didn't trip. About 15 seconds later, they tripped out as well. The room lights still were at 1/4 brightness for a bit, then went out entirely.

A coworker asked to borrow my KL1 to hit the head- just told him to be careful not to drop it in.. it'd be difficult to love a flashlight that's seen that kind of doody [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

A friend of mine works for a big IT company and just called me from Detroit to tell me the power was out and he was one of only two people in the entire building that had a flashlight (the had a photon and an ARC LE, the other guy had a 5-c cell Maglite). Silly yankees, how unprepared...... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif[/img]

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator Roy's Avatar

....and where is that nuclear power plant when you need it? .....oh! that's right can't use those any more.

Ya know, they should make it mandatory for everybody to carry an EDC light with them. I'm watching the news as we speak and I just can't imagine how's it's going to be like when it gets dark and people are still on the road trying to get to where they're suppose to be.

Flashaholic*

We lost power in my office some time after 1:00pm EST.

It was... GREAT! Out came the Lightwave 4000 from my car, the Eternalight Ergo from my desk and, in order to get to my desk in the basement, my new Arc LSH-P! Ah, it was a great day. Too bad the stupid emergency lights on the exit signs cut down on the fun. I'm going to have to see what I can do about them...

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I was watching that on the news at the school Carl's Jr, why are all those people walking on the freeway?

I heard the power outage isn't terror related... but it could be flashaholic related! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif[/img]

Any Easterners here have an X990 or superlight?
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

Wow, look at the CNN.com front page picture right now...I made a screen capture to remember this momentous and utterly flattering day...

I have a feeling CPFers were NOT among those in that picture...
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif[/img]

That picture caption should read "New Yorkers line up for batteries and flashlight bulbs at a Manhattan hardware store."

I have somewhat ramdomly decided that this will be the one outage thread that we keep open.

Man, can't get any more exciting news than this, can we? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Heard of a major outage, had to come by here!

I can't believe in this time and age, something like this would happen!

Imagine the kaos that could result??

Gosh, I would love to be there in a few hours!
    SF M6, Tigerlight, Spotlight, C3, E2e, SNII, ARC's and McModule all on person!! What fun!

Bwwwaahhh!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif[/img] Why couldn't this be happening here in LA!

It would suck though if you were in an elevator right now..
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

hawkhkg11 -

Thanks. Definitley an historical pic. Gotta go screenshot it.

Roy didn't bite on my question yet so maybe you can tell me. How's your power grid doing? (Careful, it's a setup question.)

Flashaholic*

The instant I heard, I resolved to come looking for stories from eastern CPF'ers, who are undoubtedly still basking in a popularity blip right now.

but for me, no... Minneapolis remains powered. Unfortunately, my web site and email are in Toronto [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif[/img]

Aparently, there was a lightning strike on a major power plant in Niagra Falls.

So Canada is affected as well as most of NY, NH etc.

Flashaholic

Hope the people will be alright and that power will be up again before night fall...

Chris

There is absolutely NO reason for an outage like this, certainly not in the year 2003. This is unexcusable and someone should be fired over this. If my ATM network suffered a massive interruption of this scale due to infrastructure or human-error, my ass would be history before it even came back online. Fortuneatly for me, it's a hundred or so miles north of me, so I'm not affected.

ABC News just reported that ~50 million people are without power right now.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

How does something like this happen? How is this affecting so many people?

Flashaholic*

I just heard of the news and i HAD to come here first. I haven't been on the CPF for a while...but i think this is a good time check out what's going on.

I wanted to check on our North-Eastern CPF brothers....but remembered that no electricity = no computer connections. DUH! Unless they got some sort of backup.

Anyway, it sounds like mostly everyone in NYC are in a calm mood and everyone just wants to go home, no matter where that is. I, personally wouldn't want to walk home in 90+ temperatures, on the freeway, alongside cars, and among thouasands of people. TOO HOT! I would rather stay in the city, with a few trusty flashlights and help out as much as i can. THat's just the way i am.
    I'd probably go down to the subways and see how i could help, or even into a dark building to see if anyone needs any light, but i certainly wouldn't want to be walking back home.

I saw some news coverage and saw some people being helped out of the subway. THEY WERE ALL SWEATING like crazy. THat must feel horrible in those subways, trapped underground with hundreds of other people.

I hope everyone gets power soon. It only takes one event to remind us how dependant we are on electricity. Its also shocking to see how easily a power grid can be disrupted. Back when there was mass hysteria with Y2K, there was much discussion on the U.S. powergrid. I never believed how easily a power grid could be affected....but now i know. It's almost scary.

Anyway, God bless.

Flashaholic*

CNN confirms outage caused by a single lightning strike to a Niagara power plant...

Flashaholic*

Lightning strike? That's odd, i didn't catch any bad weather in that area from the news. I believed there other theory that it was a software problem, and that hackers/virus caused the damage....but who knows.

Power has been intermittently off and on here in Connecticut. Bring on the dark!

I'm in a self inflicted exile right now. My only way into my house is through garage doors- and yes, they've both got door openers on them. Front door is locked from the inside, so that's inaccessible. I'm locked out from my own house, so all I have with me is my EDCs, Black Diamond Moonlight (the most useful one right now), Arc AAA, KL1.
    Would have liked to have my spotlights with me, and my greenie laser, just for fun- oh well.
    Luckily my friend's house has a working phone line, and I have my laptop, to while away the time until they get it back on. I've been hearing that it may come back in a few hours... hope so-
    The police are doing a good job handling the intersections, with all the traffic lights being out. Though, that was in the daylight; now that the sun set, I'm not sure how they're handling it, unless they have flashlights and dayglo vests on.

Gas ranges are the way to go in this situation; electric ranges need not apply-

Definitely eerie sight outside; NY is a town that never turns the lights out- certainly an experience. Now if this happened when the Mars sighting was due, it would be awesome- where's my telescope? Oh, forgot- locked in my house... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

They are going to have a major problem though as the sun goes down on a dark New York City. This is NOT a good thing. People are going to die as a result of this. One lighting bolt? I am not a conspiracy theorist, but if all it takes to knock out the power to a dozen major cities in two countries is one lightning bolt, we have BIG problems on a much larger scale. This is just crazy. 30+ nuke plants shut down within 3 minutes of each other??????? This reminds me of when I lived in Chicago and a pile driving crew knocked a hole in the bottom of the Chicago River and it flooded tunnels and basements (with transformers in them). Chicago was dark that night.

I called my mother in upstate NY. She has power and is doing fine. My brother lives 5 miles away from her and he's without power.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif[/img]

I mentioned to her about all of the people stuck in the subway and about how last time they had to use the lights from their cell phones to find their way out. I mentioned to her that I couldn't believe that no one had even as much as a flashlight on their keychain. And you know what her comment was? .... "Well, why would they?".... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif[/img]

Well, it 20:40 here in the East now. Right about now, those trapped folks are kicking themselves in the ass for not having a flashlight handy. Yet again, I get to bust some serious balls in work tomorrow morning.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast