Camping Stoves

Hacken

Enlightened
For those of you who does camping/outdoors/hunting/fishing or anything related to outdoors. i'm planning a family camping trip in the end of August before my kids heads back to school. I've been looking for a portable propane stove for a couple of days now already but couldn't seem to find any real good ones except for the coleman 2burner stove although I've read a lot of bad and good reviews on it and would like to hear reviews on other brands as well.

please give me a review on what kind of portable stove you have use before. i am looking in the range of 200 dollar max.

thanks

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a single burner stove that I've had for years and it works great. I got it even before Coleman came out with a similar piezo-electric ignition model.

However, you'll want a two burner model since your with family and not solo. I purchased the Coleman Roadtrip model (without the legs) for when I camp with friends and it's a nice model, but they're fairly large to cart around. I do like the skillet it comes with for making things like french toast. I also got the optional vinal carry bag for some protection during transport.

The most used stove for camping with friends is actually the smaller two burner model similar to this. These cheaper smaller models are more portable and don't take up too much picnic table space when deployed.

saabgoblin

Enlightened
I have a similar model to the link posted by LowBat with the exception being mine is made out of painted steel as opposed to stainless steel. Century, the manufacturer, I believe is part of the Primus, Bruton, and or Optimus, family of stove products and personally I do like this stove although I rarely use it because when I car camp it is usually because I am arriving at a trail head for solo backpacking so I use a small trail stove in combination with a campfire when needed. Some of the REI reviews are about 50/50 for this stove but I always take those reviews with a grain of salt. Mine was purchased before the piezo starter and I can't recall ever having any difficulty lighting my stove as some of the reviews have put forth as a criticism. What I really like is how slim the stove becomes when folded, Coleman products aren't bad either but I have no direct experience with their stoves, just their lanterns and I tend to sway towards Primus there as well.

Mine gets the job done and it is quite easy to clean so that's all I can tell you without another stove to compare against but I am pretty brand loyal to Primus/Century/Optimus and their line of stoves from a design perspective and ease of use point of view.:shrug:

saabgoblin

Enlightened
Just make sure that you learn how to fill, prime, and light the stove before you need your coffee in the morning. The big plus to white gas is that you can recycle the empty container or at least I can in my environs whereas propane cylinders can't be recycled and or thrown out depending on local regulations. Operating white gas is more economical in the long run but I guess it all depends on how often you plan to go camping.

RedfishBluefish

Newly Enlightened
Check out Century Stainless stoves and also for less than $200.00 you should be able to find a Camp Chef model that fits your needs. We love the higher output of the dual/triple burner Camp Chefs and the available accessories (griddle and grill), but they are really for car camping. If you are carrying stuff a ways, check out the Jet Boils and MSR stoves. Have fun!

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
My family have been using the white gas Coleman stoves for as long as I can remember. Reasonable in price, durable, and pretty reliable. The white gas is nice as I can use it in the lanterns as well, and I don't need to worry about the canisters.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
about 10 years ago i bought the simplest, cheapest, propane Coleman 1 burner stove, still works great, as long as you got not much more that half a gallon, or you'll wait forever, it works great with midsize frying pan, anything bigger, (once in a blue moon) i use open fire.

PharmerMike

Newly Enlightened
I have been using Coleman stoves for about 21 years and am very loyal that that brand. One advantage with Coleman is that you should have no problem getting replacement parts. As to the propane vs. white gas discussion, it comes down to convenience vs. cost. Propane is more convenient, but the white gas will be less expensive.

Another consideration is space. If you are car camping and have plenty of space, I like the idea of using an adapter/hose that allows you to hook a 20 lb propane tank to the stove. When camping, I use a distribution tee that powers both my Coleman stove and my portable Weber gas grill. This setup reduces the cost to use propane (although it is still higher than white gas).

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
How often are you going to use it? If it's just this one shot those cheap $20 stove that takes butane cartrige is plenty (need windscreen if windy).

steveG

Enlightened

Meganoggin

Enlightened
I've got a cheapo one like Carrot has. I have cooked for up to 4 people on it no problems - good and hot, fast boil time and a stable base for large or small pans.

derangboy

Enlightened
My family has had the same Coleman propane double burner stove for about thirty years. It still works great (provided it's not too cold out)! I was never one for the little disposable canisters so I got a short converter hose and a 5 lbs. re-useable bottle. The setup might be a bit excessive to some, but if you're car camping, go all out!

Illum

Flashaholic
I have a single burner stove that I've had for years and it works great. I got it even before Coleman came out with a similar piezo-electric ignition model.

However, you'll want a two burner model since your with family and not solo. I purchased the Coleman Roadtrip model (without the legs) for when I camp with friends and it's a nice model, but they're fairly large to cart around. I do like the skillet it comes with for making things like french toast. I also got the optional vinal carry bag for some protection during transport.

The most used stove for camping with friends is actually the smaller two burner model similar to this. These cheaper smaller models are more portable and don't take up too much picnic table space when deployed.

I have the same kind, it can't boil a pot of water without some frustration but on a windless day it does just fine:)

carrot

Flashaholic
Well I have to say I have a "bit" of experience with other camping stoves... isobutane-propanol canister stoves, wood stoves, alcohol stoves (jet and low pressure), Esbit stoves... but honestly the simple single-burner butane stoves are one of the simplest and most cost-effective solutions around, especially if the extra size/weight does not make a difference to you (it shouldn't, if you're camping out of your car). For twenty bucks you can have a stove and enough gas to make quite a few meals.

steveG

Enlightened
I have the same kind, it can't boil a pot of water without some frustration but on a windless day it does just fine:)
FYI, the Coleman stove I linked above does great in the wind. When I used it to cook beans on the beach a few weeks ago it was somewhat windy and a little cold but it brought them to a boil much, much faster than I expected. Keeping them at a simmer was easy, too.

Illum

Flashaholic
FYI, the Coleman stove I linked above does great in the wind. When I used it to cook beans on the beach a few weeks ago it was somewhat windy and a little cold but it brought them to a boil much, much faster than I expected. Keeping them at a simmer was easy, too.

hmm...maybe mines out of gas?
:ohgeez:

ODatsBright

Newly Enlightened
I've got a Coleman 10K btu burner + grill stove and really like it. Good for cooking hotdogs/hamburgers on the grill while heating up some beans. I also have several other camp stoves and would recommend a Brunton Vesta isobutane stove or the Bantam white gas stove. Both are great for camping use and are smaller than a Coleman type full size car camping stove. Six of one and half a dozen of the other for the camp stove vs. the full size propane mini-grills.