Don't ya just LOVE waiting for parts to arrive...

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don\'t ya just LOVE waiting for parts to arrive...

Right, you've had this wonderful idea for a project /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif (okay, I admit that in this case it wasn't light related), you've got all the diagrams drawn out, listed what parts you need, and gone to get them...only to find that the only supplier in the area (Maplin in my case) hasn't got the most important parts needed in stock (in this case 30 0.1uF capacitors)...and that they have to be ordered...D'OH! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

So now I have to sit and wait until tomorrow (with luck) for my parts to arrive before I can start building myself anything (in thise case an ioniser...why? Why not? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ).

Now, how often does this happen to everyone else???

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Don\'t ya just LOVE waiting for parts to arrive...

I feel your pain /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I"m waiting on a small order from Digikey right now. It's just some special value power resisters, but I can't do any more work on that project until they arrive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

So yes, I am also waiting. Been 3 days and no word of shipping or tracking or anything!

Tomas

Banned
Re: Don\'t ya just LOVE waiting for parts to arrive

Back when I built a lot of "things" it used to happen all too often.

I still remember one project that was based on a specialized part - I got the project mostly built when the manufcturer finally informed me that the item was discontinued and there were none available, period, have-a-good-day!

T_sig6.gif

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah...still waiting myself,
Tomorrow it will be the two week point for my Anglehead flashlight, optics and heatsink order from EL. It should be in tomorrow even if it was mailed 10 days after my order. Or it is lost in the mess somewere on this earth!
Don't you REALLY, really hate it when the LAST part you need for a mod is over a week late? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

highlandsun

Enlightened

Even worse is my last project, where I kept forgetting to order a needed part. Wound up with 4 separate orders to DigiKey in the space of 10 days, as I remembered one thing, then changed my mind or forgot something else. Duhhhhhh.....

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mine arrived today! But my wife is on call and the grandparents are out of town and so I'm a full time daddy and can't build the thing right away anyway!

Arrg!

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast

Even better is when you finally get all the parts together, assemble the thing (hardwirng 30 caps and diodes together takes a while), only to have the thing commit suicide mere seconds after being powered up for the first time. One heck of a bang too. Oh well, we now know that the voltages in use here can jump further than I thought...Oh well, time to pick apart the design and start over. On to Mark 2 I guess...

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast

Let me guess........you`ve been attempting Mike Harrison`s
Quick & Dirty Marx Generator? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I`ve been tempted to build one of those myself, but knowing how much 240v AC hurts and knowing how fond my fingers are of touching live conductors without my knowledge (well, not till they touch!) I`ve put it off for now.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast

No actually, was attempting to build an ioniser, the cabling however I reckon didn't have adequite insulation, and something jumped. Design was found from a site linked to from the LED Museum, www.bigclive.com if I remember correctly. Also mentions lots of crazy (not to mention fun) stuff like exploding Rolos, Smarties and the like...and a Jacob's Ladder, which has been on my list for a while, pending a suitable PSU becoming available.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast

Aah, yes - I know Big Clive`s site too. Not such high voltages, but still equally as dangerous in places. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Latest posts