Buying first Surefire, want cutting-edge

Hellbore

Enlightened
Hey guys. I keep hearing about how great Surefire lights are. I thought maybe I should finally get one and see for myself if they live up to the hype.

The problem is, I have not kept up with the different models and capabilities, and there are so many variations that I don't know where to begin.

First question: Is there a Surefire light I can buy that comes ready to go with the latest in LED technology, such as a Cree XP-G or some comparable emitter? Or would I need to buy the Surefire host for its other features, and then buy some drop-in LED / driver module to upgrade it? It would be hard for me to justify owning a Surefire if it wasn't also at least somewhat cutting-edge in terms of output, runtime, etc. because it would be my go-to light.

Second, batteries. I would love to have the flexibility of being able to use CR123, OR RCR123 lithium-ions, and ideally, be able to use 18650 as well! For example, I know there are lights out there that can take either 2 cr123 sized batteries, or one 18650 cell. I would want a light that could either do:

#1. 2xCR123 or 1x18650
#2. 4xCR123 or 2x18650

Is there a Surefire out there that fits either #1 or #2?

Lastly, I would like this light to have good throw. It doesn't have to have the best throw ever, but at least good throw. Not looking for another super-floody light. I have enough like that. I would want this light to be suitable for tactical use if I so desire (for example, mounted on a shotgun). I'm thinking sort of along the lines of a weapon light, really. That's one reason the Surefire level of quality is important to me for this light.

So, do you have any suggestions for me? Help guide a potential new Surefire owner!

Or, if there is some other brand / model of light that is up to the same level of quality as Surefire, and meets these criteria, make a recommendation :)

Darvis

Enlightened
Hellbore....

Surefires are great lights, my opinion is that they generally shuck cutting edge for the more, bombproof "this is what works and this is what we have tested to the n'th degree."

If you want cutting edge and the ability to use batteries like the 18650, my advice is to consider a P60 capable host (6P/9P C2/C3) and consider buying one already bored for 18650; you can then still use 123's if needed. For cutting edge drop-ins go Nailbender or Malkoff, or Dereelight, or any one of the other reputable modders on CPF. Take a look at Oveready.com hosts; they come pre-bored and with a multitude fo custom finishes. There are alos modders that will bore your host for you if you choose. This may put you over a certain price point that's more than OEM, but you'll get what you want right off the bat.

If you want to run just 123's or 17670's, then any P60 host will do and bargains galore in the B/S/T threads.

With the right extensions and add ons, your scenarios (#1 and #2) are possible, yes.

Guys like Nailbender can help you determine which combo of LED and reflector would give you the best throw...

Are there other mod-able light out there that can compete? Sure, take a look Dereelight- Especially the DBSV3 with an SST-50... a real thrower. Or the CL1H which is also great light, but more akin to the P60 style. Solarforce also makes decent P60 hosts at a very decent price.

hope this helps!

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
No, and no, but the light you are probably looking for is the Surefire LX2 which has good throw, is easy to pocket and should support 17670s, which is about as good as you'll get in any stock Surefire configuration. Personally, I would recommend this as it offers the opportunity to try out a Surefire in pure, stock format with the least hassles involved.

If you really need to run 18650's you will want to get a C-series host such as a 6P, C2, or Z2. That host will need to be bored, so your best bet is to buy one right from the guy who does excellent work with it - ElectronGuru (oveready.com) and you will want an LED module for it, such as ElectronGuru's own, Malkoff's M61 (my personal favorite) or any of Nailbender's offerings.

The latter option is fantastic too, but it will probably turn out more expensive and take more time to put together. It's a good way to experience Surefire's excellent build quality and awesome modularity, but not a good way to experience Surefires the way a good many of us first did -- in a stock format that blew us away.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't be fooled by the "Surefire is not latest and greatest" comments that fly around, just because they don't use the the favored emitter of the month does not mean it is any less bright.

The LX2 and E2DL may not be XPG or SST-50 or whatever but it sure is as bright or brighter than many 2xcr123 light's I own that do have the latest greatest LED. Optics is crucial and the TIR optic design Surefire uses in some of there light's is fantastic, it throws a wide hotspot very well.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
...but the light you are probably looking for is the Surefire LX2 which has good throw, is easy to pocket and should support 17670s, which is about as good as you'll get in any stock Surefire configuration...

I could not fit the AW 17670 into my LX2 but the good news is that I could at least still run it with 2 X RCR123s and it works perfectly.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't be fooled by the "Surefire is not latest and greatest" comments that fly around, just because they don't use the the favored emitter of the month does not mean it is any less bright.

The LX2 and E2DL may not be XPG or SST-50 or whatever but it sure is as bright or brighter than many 2xcr123 light's I own that do have the latest greatest LED. Optics is crucial and the TIR optic design Surefire uses in some of there light's is fantastic, it throws a wide hotspot very well.

:twothumbs +1

Though I am not sure about the SST-50 but I have seen how my LX2 pitted against some lights running XP-G and still holding it's own. I am amazed considering that Surefire is still using the XR-E emitter in the LX2. I know it is XR-E because I peeped through the centre of the TIR and I see this brass ring around the LED, and so is the E1B that I have.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really ? Are you sure it won't fry the circuit and go direct drive instead ?

edit : just found the thread https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/241138
Not really though I can't say with any amount of authority but many have tried and have yet to report any problems so far. As for myself, I have just started using AW RCR for the last few weeks and so far so good.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very good advice.

No, and no, but the light you are probably looking for is the Surefire LX2 which has good throw, is easy to pocket and should support 17670s, which is about as good as you'll get in any stock Surefire configuration. Personally, I would recommend this as it offers the opportunity to try out a Surefire in pure, stock format with the least hassles involved.

If you really need to run 18650's you will want to get a C-series host such as a 6P, C2, or Z2. That host will need to be bored, so your best bet is to buy one right from the guy who does excellent work with it - ElectronGuru (oveready.com) and you will want an LED module for it, such as ElectronGuru's own, Malkoff's M61 (my personal favorite) or any of Nailbender's offerings.

The latter option is fantastic too, but it will probably turn out more expensive and take more time to put together. It's a good way to experience Surefire's excellent build quality and awesome modularity, but not a good way to experience Surefires the way a good many of us first did -- in a stock format that blew us away.