My custom-made Maglite bezel

The_Police

Enlightened
Hi, I have been working on our lathe creating a bezel my 2D Maglite, I'm not sure where to go from here. I ordered an aspheric lens from kaidomain (about 3 weeks ago, and I sill haven't got it) and I left my bezel long because I don't know exactly how far the aspheric lens sticks out. I was thinking about making some crenelations in it too, but again I need the correct length to do that. I also "thought" about adding some holes for glow-dots in the bezel. Anyway, I want your suggestions and if anyone has an aspheric Mag and bezel combo, measurements and pics would be appreciated.

I'm still not sure why my pics are all small and stuff though...
P7270186.jpg

P7270187.jpg

Last edited:

The_Police

Enlightened
it's made out of solid iron too, so it's got some mass and makes the Maglite feel like it weighs a few pounds... lol it will get lighter once i trim it though...

The_Police

Enlightened
I was even thinking about making my own pointed tailcap, like the glass breakers, only without the hardened tip. then it will look all bad@$$ and be a good defense weapon... lol

The_Police

Enlightened
Solid iron - LOL! Excellent! I reckon Sgt.LED would LOVE one of those...!

it started out as a 2 1/2inch (in diameter) solid piece of rod iron, and I bored it out and got it all in spec on our lathe to fit on the tip of my Mag, and got it threaded. it's a very snug fit, i just need to take off just a tiny little bit more metal on the inside where the lens and o-ring go, because the o-ring is tight and it doesn't screw on quite far enough. then i when my aspheric lens shows up, i can finally bore some holes for the crenelation and cut it to the right length, and sand,polish& paint it. an suggestions as to what clear paint to use to keep it from rusting? :D I'm very happy with this creation so far...

The_Police

Enlightened
What is the purpose? Why so long? Why iron?

didn't you read my previous posts?? lol
purpose: to protect my aspheric lens that i ordered

why so long: i clearly stated that I am only leaving it long until my aspheric lens gets here, as of now im not sure what length to cut it at.

why iron: because that is what was lying around our shop and aluminum as thick as I need it is very expensive.

hope I answered your questions :D

The_Police

Enlightened
Re: My custom-made Maglite bezel *UPDATE*

My aspheric lens FINALLY showed up yesterday :D then I got my bezel all trimmed down and polished up some. I think it looks great, even though i didn't crenelate it. Now I want to add some more glow powder to the inside, does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to mix it??

Here are some pics of it.

93b358fd.jpg

48b7f598.jpg

ffe67169.jpg

5ebebf72.jpg

657ae8bc.jpg

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "down the bezel" shot (4th pic from the top) looks sweet :thumbsup:

Now all you have to do is post some beamshots ;)

The_Police

Enlightened
it feels very solid, and it's gained some weight after the mod too... lol, kinda reminds me of a club, I think a glass-breaker tailcap would really top it off...

The_Police

Enlightened
:twothumbs

i think you should use a cree emitter instead of the rebel.

markus

i know right?? this is my first mod/build, so I didn't want anything too complicated, and the TerraLUX drop-in is way better than I though though, it's fairly bright and it throws a LONG ways... I do have another 2D mag though:naughty: Except then I need a heatsink, driver, and the actual CREE LED. 2D cells probably do not supply enough voltage; which can be solved by D-sized 2xAA holders. I have the LED from my UltraFire CREE Q5, but the driver died in it, and the (-) terminal came off the board so it doesn't connect good at all.
idk, it could possibly be a future build...

The_Police

Enlightened
Re: My custom-made Maglite bezel *now with beamshots*

I added some glow powder, and took some beamshots.

here is the GP.
6bbc9e04.jpg

these shots are all taken at a little over 8 feet, the white rectangular thing is a ruler.
enjoy :D

focused
cab0b6b4.jpg

still focused, only lower exposure and some zoom
7e95db1c.jpg

79cec91b.jpg

unfocused
b08f6f98.jpg

brh

Newly Enlightened
Sweet looking bezel!
Got me thinking, how wild it would be to have an entire light made of iron. Though I'm thinking more like the iron of a cast iron skillet :crazy: coat it with oil and throw it in the oven for a bit to keep the rust away! Ahem, anyway… Neat mod :)

The_Police

Enlightened
I actually thought about doing that, not with cast iron, just regular iron... lol, it wouldn't even be that hard, just kinda time consuming...

Last edited: