Fivemega 2D-6AA, 4D-12AA Battery Holders :thumbsup:

DSC_0660.jpg

Locked and Loaded! :naughty:

DSC_0661.jpg

2X momentary switch mods :sick2:

DSC_0664.jpg

Der Wichtel 6 mode buck drivers installed :twothumbs

DSC_0689.jpg

Der Wichtel 3X P7 heatsink with emitters installed, Britelumens P7 heatsink with emitter installed. DSWOJ emmiters from Britelumens.

DSC_0694.jpg

The six mode drivers came with enough extra length of wiring that I used it to daisy chain the P7's

DSC_0695.jpg

Single P7 up close. The soldering looks a little ugly, but don't worry, no cold joints here!

DSC_0697.jpg

Finished products with UCL glass

DSC_0698.jpg

:naughty:

DSC_0699.jpg

Maglite MOP reflector from KD. Had to bore it out a little so it didn't sit on the leads.

Thanks goes out to those that helped me in my other threads! lovecpf :grouphug:

Beamshots to come...

vudoo

Enlightened
Good work...now go out and enjoy!

Let us know what your impressions are of the triple P7. I have been looking at getting one for a while.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let us know what your impressions are of the triple P7. I have been looking at getting one for a while.

i'm not him , but i build the same 3xp7 a year ago, my impression is, it is awesome light, i love it, not much of a thrower, but excellent flood. whenever i turn it on, whoever is next to me with a flashlight, they turn them off.
i also have single p7 with deep reflector, that one is a thrower.

looks like op got all his lighting needs covered.

great job Eddie-M:twothumbs

Eddie-M

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the kind words guys! Here are my impressions:

Single P7 - I was very impressed. Compared to my 210 lumen lifegear flashlight from target, it still seems alot brighter than the numbers would have me assume. Compared to my 1,000,000 candlepower spotlight which runs dirctly off the cigarette lighter in my car, it is almost as bright and comes very close to throwing as far. Except this is a 10 watt LED, not a 100 watt hallogen bulb, with a ~2" reflector, not ~5". I'm very impressed by the single P7. It is my every day flashlight for work. We have 22 miles of converyor belts, 586,000 square feet on the floor, ~40 foot high ceilings, and it really works great at throwing very far and overcomming all the nasty orange lighting since I work third shift. This is at a UPS hub BTW, and I'm very glad to carry the brightest flashlight there.

Triple P7 - Too big for work, but more of a outdoors flashlight for me. My grandmas 1 acre backyard is no competition. Not as much throw as the single P7, but the flood is very nice. It's not all flood as some people say, It still has a hotspot, just not as bright as the single P7's. Now I know your eyes (and ears for that matter) notice changes logarithmically, so it does not appear 3 times as bright at all times. To me its feels about twice as bright in close quarters, until you get out into a large open dark space where you can verify that yes, all those extra lumens are accounted for! If you have a dog for instance running around in a park, this is the light to use where he will always be in sight. Definately a WOW flashlight. I have no problems turning off the headlights in my car and driving off this light alone. I'm tempted to say its equal to both my headlights on Hi (98 camry). I'll have to try it again to be sure.

I'm still waiting to do beamshots, every night so far the park has been muggy, and the moisture in the air lights up instead of the distant trees...

Last edited:

Eddie-M

Newly Enlightened
Two of the emitters are slightly off-centered :tinfoil:

It's the third emmiter in the tripple P7, the one on the bottom in the close up photo, somehow it rotated slighty while setting. I'm not really sure how though. I glued the 3 P7's, put the 3 reflectors in to keep them spaced correctly, and used 3 equal lengths of tube with a weight on top sitting directly on the emmiters. I soldered after the adhesive was set.

Eddie-M

Newly Enlightened
Hi Eddie,

How long can the Single P7 run?

I haven't tried real-world runtime tests, so I'll have to relly on some math. This is just an approximation, there are alot more variables of course.

P7 consumes in watts (On high):
2.8A X 3.6V = 10.08W

Capacity of 6X duraloops in series measured in watt hours:
2Ah X 7.2V = 14.4Wh

Calculated Runtime:
14.4Wh/10.08W =1.43h

Taking into account efficiency of buck driver:
1.43h X 0.90 efficiency = 1.29h

For fun, 3X P7

3X P7 consumes in watts (On high):
2.8A X 10.8V= 30.24W

Capacity of 12X duraloops in series measured in watt hours:
2Ah X 14.4V= 28.8Wh

Calculated Runtime:
28.8Wh/30.24W= 0.95h

Taking into account efficiency of buck driver:
0.952h X 0.90 efficiency = 0.87h

freeloader700

Newly Enlightened
Very nice build. Can this single P7 setup work with an spherical lens? I want to do a build like this