New here! Recommendation wanted for hunting torch

trumbledewe

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm new here, sorry if this is the wrong place to post.

Looking for a new torch for hunting. Currently have a LedLenser P7 w gun mount. Is ok but not awesome. Mate has the Led LEnser X21 which seems pretty cool, but very expensive and big..

0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?
I am in Australia. More precisely I am in Melbourne. Happy to order from OS.

1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
I am willing to spend $80-$120. AUD!

2) Format:
I want a flashlight. or
I want a portable spotlight.
Would be awesome if I could mount it to my rifle, but if that means sacrificing a huge amount of brightness/burntime then handheld is fine

3) Length:
I don't care.

4) Width:
I don't care.

5) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.

I want common Alkaline batteries. (AA, AAA, C, D) or
I want lithium batteries. (coin cells, CR123, AAA, AA...)

6) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens

7) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below.

Throw (distance)xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|----------------------Flood/close-up

8) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries.

360+ min. (More than 6 hours)

9) Durability: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Self-defense, Survival.)

8) Switch Type:
____I don't care.

9) Switch Location:

____I don't care.

10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.

____A simple on-off is fine for me.

11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?

____I don't care.

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).

____Red (night vision preserving) filter (Removable) -would be cool but not essential.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks for your help.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the Fenix TA30 it's 3xcr123 and uses a selector ring for changing output, I love the light it's long but the output is good and the runtime is great. Also the Jetbeam RRT-2 is another selector ring UI light with good throw uses multiple battery types. Also search for Tiablo A9 and Dereelight DBS V3 for really good throwers that are not to big.

TA30- http://eliteled.com/products/flashlights/fenix-ta30.html

RRT-2 http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/raptorrrt2.html

Another option could be a Surefire with the TIR for really good throw like the E2DL or LX2 but that may be a bit over your budget.

Last edited:

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
By hunting I assume you mean shooting and are not using the British sense of the word. English is so fraught that way. Part of the problem with low responses so far is probably that the use of flashlights for hunting is not exactly legal in most hunting countries, nor is it considered in the least ethical either. Of course you may not mean for use at the same time as you are shooting, or you may be a roo shooter, where the practice is, I believe, standard and required by law. Anyway, I know mainly Surefire and any of their higher lumen lights are good for just about anything requiring throw. If you want to walk in in the dark without spooking game, then a red led is desired, if you want to follow blood spoor under the same terms, I've seen it posted that yellow-green is best and I know blue is quite good. In that line, SF has a few including the aviator versions but most expecially the Kroma, which is a light I personally crave but have yet to reserve the capital for. Good luck!