Tigerlight Terralux Drop-In

PhillyRube

Enlightened
Well, my early model Tigerlight had the hotwire bulb go bad. I tried to epoxy in a WA bulb but all it does is give me a great area light, with very little throw. Tigerlight markets a Terralux drop-in, but it is rather pricey. Are there any LED alternatives out there?

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I own a short Tigerlilght and have looked around also, but there seems to be nothing available except the Terrralux. What I did do with mine was have a pack made, similar to the high power battery pack sold by Tigerlight, installed a glass window made by flashlightlens.com, and installed the TL 375 lumen LA. Very bright, the lumens seem to be dead on (bounce with lightmeter, comparing to other lights I own), and it is an excellent thrower.

Bill

PhillyRube

Enlightened
OK, here's what I did: I picked up a BatteryJunction TerraLUX TLE-110-S-MM Multi Mode 600 Lumen LED Upgrade for Streamlight SL20X Dimmable 110SMM. Fast shipping, well packed. I tried this out in the plastic cased SL20X I have. No problems with fit, except the reflector size is reduced somewhat by the plastic housing. Works like a champ. I ran it on high for an hour, just to see what happens. The plastic housing got pretty warm, and I think I'll replace the plastic lens with a borafloat one. Otherwise, no issues. The website says it is for the metal cased SL20X.

Next I put it in the Tigerlight. You have to pull the large rubber bushing under the lamp assembly, and cut it down. Just for messing around, I put a couple of packing peanuts under the drop-in just so it wouldn't rattle. It fits just fine, and you still have the dimmable function. I ran it on high for an hour, and judt a little heat buildup is noticeable. The Tigerlight comes with a glass lens, so no worries there.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Are you getting good heat sinking contact with the inside metal of the TL? The tighter the Terralux Drop-In fits the better.

B

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tigerlight Terralux MiniStar 110S-MM

I finally ordered the Terralux MiniStar 110S-MM and installed it in my TigerLight FBOP yesterday. What an improvement! Now I have to either cut down the rubber bushing or try the packing peanuts trick.

EDIT: I put three packing peanuts in there and it seems pretty solid now!

Last edited: