XR-E R2 question

LED4LYF

Newly Enlightened
I am going to run an XR-E R2 with an AX2002 multi-level buck driver from download. On high it is spec for 1.4A. I have a solid copper heat sink. My question is should I get a XR-E with or without a star? Will the heat be that big of an issue?

Also does anyone have a good source for XR-E with and without a star?

ahorton

Enlightened
You can do better (in terms of heat transfer) without a star but you can also stuff it up. Since you're asking the question, I'll assume low experience, so a star is the safer option.

I buy most of mine from cutter, but I have also bought some from DX and they've been fine.

Last edited:

Mettee

Enlightened
I would say make your choice based on how high you need the led to be, higher use the star, lower dont use it. You are pushing it hard so deal with the outcome since you have learned the ups and downs for both. If you feel like you can make your own riser if the led needs to be raised up then do that, if not go with the star.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
1.4 Amps is not too much for an XR-E. No need for mounting it to copper. I have a 1.4 A R2 on a star, glued onto an aluminum heatsink. It does 121,000 lux at start, and 114,000 lux at 3 minutes runtime. 94% at 3 minutes......who needs to mount a LED to copper with that kind of performance. Stars work fine.