Tail cap charging port?

Battery Guy

Enlightened
Greetings Everyone,

I have a few Mag mods that use FM's battery holders. I would like an elegant way to charge the battery packs without having to remove the tail cap. Has anyone come up with an elegant tail cap charging port mod?

Cheers,
BG

BlackAndChrome

Newly Enlightened
I'm pretty new, but my suggestion would be to get a 3 lead DC jack and wire it so that when the charger is plugged in it disconnects your flashlights on/off button and engages a separate charging circuit as to avoid any mishaps. Drill a whole centered in the end cap so that they DC jack can be mounted accordingly.

Excuse any syntax/polarity errors in the diagram. I'll admit I have little experience. Be gentle if this won't work as well lol. And if this blatently obvious excuse me for being on the wrong end of the stick :poke:.

If I remember correctly from what someone told be the 2 or 3 disengages when a plug is inserted, if I had a multimeter on hand I could figure it our but I don't.

EDIT: hmmm... I may been up a little bit to late last night.

-B&C
Flashcharger.jpg

Last edited:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
FM used to incorporate them into his custom hosts. The battery holders would have a longer, extended charging port that would mate up with a hole in the tail. If you search his older, started thread, there should be pics. There may even be some still available.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some ideas:

1) A port just ahead of the on-off switch is better. A tailcap hole would cause a water leak path, even if o-rings were used. So a hole through the battery tube, just ahead of the plastic switch assembly, not at the top of the tube where rain could go down it but maybe on the side or bottom. Also, any wiring toward the tailcap can get twisted or caught up in the tailcap spring when unscrewing the tailcap. Not good.

2) The ground wire should be soldered to the nut on the back side of the port inside the tube. The positive wire should go through the switch toward the positive end of the battery pack, thus bypassing the on-off mechanism.

Any corrections or suggestions?

thanks