Fenix TK11 - how has it held up as a weapon light?!

Neo9710

Newly Enlightened
Well..Looks like I am in the market for a weapon light on my AR. Fenix as always peaked my attention (I have a O-Light M20 for my duty light) and I would like to know who else here has it as a weapon light and how has it held up? Do you use the 18650 rechargeables? CR123's?

Of course Im looking at Surefires. A friend of mine suggested a company that makes a Q5 Cree Drop in for a G2L. But, I was thinking about going rechargeable and I don't believe the 18650 fits in it. http://tnvc.com/items/illumination_tools/q5_lamp.html (look at the bottom of the page for the package deal - $114.00)

Thinking about the two, the Surefire has one mode (On and BRIGHT) and the Fenix has more and is significantly less. I MIGHT use it also as a backup light but I already have two other backup lights.

http://tnvc.com/items/illumination_tools/q5_lamp.html

unclevit

Newly Enlightened
Well..Looks like I am in the market for a weapon light on my AR. Fenix as always peaked my attention (I have a O-Light M20 for my duty light) and I would like to know who else here has it as a weapon light and how has it held up? Do you use the 18650 rechargeables? CR123's?

Of course Im looking at Surefires. A friend of mine suggested a company that makes a Q5 Cree Drop in for a G2L. But, I was thinking about going rechargeable and I don't believe the 18650 fits in it. http://tnvc.com/items/illumination_tools/q5_lamp.html (look at the bottom of the page for the package deal - $114.00)

Thinking about the two, the Surefire has one mode (On and BRIGHT) and the Fenix has more and is significantly less. I MIGHT use it also as a backup light but I already have two other backup lights.

http://tnvc.com/items/illumination_tools/q5_lamp.html

I use single mode, click-click, no rat tail, flashlights in my 870 and MP5. Both 2xrcr123a or 1x18650 rechargeables. M20 works very fine for me, and as well G2 with G8 upgrade LED bulb. My men use their upgraded G2 in their M4 regularly. For me, I like the M20 most. Rugged, Dependable, Bright and Long hours with UF 18650 3000 mAh protected (just threw away my 6's GTL 18650 - poor runtime). M20 holster is the best in tactical usage, from my experience :)

Neo9710

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all:

I use single mode, click-click, no rat tail, flashlights in my 870 and MP5. Both 2xrcr123a or 1x18650 rechargeables. M20 works very fine for me, and as well G2 with G8 upgrade LED bulb. My men use their upgraded G2 in their M4 regularly. For me, I like the M20 most. Rugged, Dependable, Bright and Long hours with UF 18650 3000 mAh protected (just threw away my 6's GTL 18650 - poor runtime). M20 holster is the best in tactical usage, from my experience :)

I love my M20. DOes it have enough..if my terminology is correct..spill/flood around the mail beam? Primary goal - Active shooter situations. Thats why one of my friends suggested the previously mentioned. Where do you have yours mounted? 12 oclock?

unclevit

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all:

I love my M20. DOes it have enough..if my terminology is correct..spill/flood around the mail beam? Primary goal - Active shooter situations. Thats why one of my friends suggested the previously mentioned. Where do you have yours mounted? 12 oclock?

Both the M20 and G2 with G8 bulb have the same beam pattern. Not as sharp in the centre as SF LX2. But I like it as the coverage is very useful. Mounting on 3 o'clock. G2 with G8 bulb, to me, is more powerful, though using the same Trustfire 3.7v 123a protected rechargeables. For leisure time, out at night, I like SF LX2. Too expensive to use in missions :D
BTW, any experience on ExtremeBeam brand ? Their SR21 Ballastic looks like a tank to me :eek:

TwitchALot

Enlightened
If you're going to use it as a weaponlight, I don't recommend li-ions, as recoil can potentially damage the protection circuits.

msloshooter

Newly Enlightened
I use the TK11 as a weapon light on my duty AR. It has been on for about a year now and is running strong. It has lasted through 6 rifle classes ( I am an instructor) and several of my coworkers bought TK11s they were so impressed. I run 3volt primary cells.

bikenjam

Newly Enlightened
While i by no means have conclusive evidence, i have not run into any issues with my trustfire 18650 batteries with regards to recoil. I have on several occasionaly beat my lights (Solarforce L2 with stock or hand made pills) by throwing them several stories in the air and let them land on dirt, gravel or grass with no effect to the battery and few effects to the pill. Even after throwing them at cement, trees and, well, a friends old car (college weekend), i have never seen an effect on the battery. The only problems i have run into with these batteries are found to be right from the factory (i buy cheap, so no big surprise).

With that being said, it would be interesting to see recoil or impact tests done on lights to find a limit and know what to reasonably expect from them.

Oh, i also have a TK11 and have used it as a weapons light with good success.