Japanese Flashlight?

makar

Enlightened
Hi,
a friend of mine is in Japan. I'd like to have a little luminescent souvenir
wink.gif
Does anyone know if there are any high quality flashlight producers in Japan?
Greetings, Marc

makar

Enlightened
I know that, especially because I'm coming form "the" car city in germany: stuttgart - home of porsche and mercedes
smile.gif

I just wonder because I've never heard of any good japanese flashlights.

yclo

Flashaholic*
The person to ask would be Graham, since he stays there.

If you do find out anything, let me know too since I might be going there next month.

-YC

Saaby

Flashaholic
I want a sweedish flashlight with the button half way down the body that uses expensive sweedish bulbs, which burn out when the batteries get low and are very expensive to replace but last indefinatly if the batteries are replaced often
tongue.gif
winkie.GIF

nihraguk

Enlightened
webley445:

yup...most of asia uses 220v along with singapore. you can get a transformer to make it work in the US
smile.gif

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, Alan has got it - 100V AC. Half the country runs on 50hz, the other half on 60hz, just to make it interesting..

So if you bought a mains powered light or similar, you'd need a step down converter.

In terms of lights, there are all sorts of things here, but nothing made in Japan which compares to the likes of Surefire, or many of the US made dive lights. In addition, what is available here is pretty expensive.

Graham

makar

Enlightened
Thanks graham.
is there anything cheaper in japan then elsewhere?
my friend already told me that everything is pretty expensive...
Marc

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cheaper in Japan than elsewhere?
That's a tough one - not much that's interesting. Some computer parts (and some computers themselves) are cheaper than other places, I don't know about comparisons to Europe though.

I really can't think of anything of note which is cheaper here than anywhere else - its more a case of some things you can get here which aren't easily available elsewhere.

Graham

makar

Enlightened
which things are these?
I'm for example intrested in a fuel/gaz cooker from snow peak. Do you think I can save money there?

Tsao

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by makar:
which things are these?
I'm for example intrested in a fuel/gaz cooker from snow peak. Do you think I can save money there?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">According my experience "No, not really". Snow peak is made in Japan. But in Japan camp stuff is popular but not fashion. It is not easy to find cheaper one. The price of fashion product drop fast and dramatically (including 3C product). I'll spend money on food, 3C product and traditional art in Japan.
My uncle live in Tokyo, he is native Japanese. I've been to Japan several times. In Japan, life is expensive.
Just my humble opinion.
FYI

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Tsao:

This one is not handheld but on bicycle. It got the reflecter behind the LEDs.

FYI
smile.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Tsao, I think Cateye is an U.S. company.

3C product? One of my Japanese friend mentioned these long time ago - Cash, Car and Carema. Are you referring this or something else
tongue.gif

Alan

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by makar:
which things are these?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well, Snow Peak stuff is fairly commonly available at camping stores - I've been looking at some of it recently myself.

I just did a quick check, and based on what is on their website, the retail price for their stuff in Japan is definitely cheaper than the retail price in the US. Since I doubt that prices in Europe would be less than the US (although anything is possible..), I'd say that you could probably save a bit of money on Snow Peak stuff here.

They do have quite a lot of titanium camping stuff, too.

Graham