Preon 1, will a 10440 fry it?

Buddy L

Newly Enlightened
I just received a Titanium Preon 1, it really blasts with a 10440 but I'm afraid to leave it on for more than a few seconds. The question is-will that increased voltage fry the LED and electronics? Is it safe to use it sparingly with the 10440? I really love the light on a stainless ball chain lanyard with a ss fishing tackle swivel and spring clip. I also got in on the 4 Sevens special on the Preon 2 with the warm tint LED, what a nice instrument.
Thanks for the advice. :shrug:

maxotar

Newly Enlightened
i use my aluminum one on 10440 all the time. i generally try to keep usage on high below a minute because it gets quite hot.

Im sure it would be fine to use it for a few minutes on high as long as it is in your hand. but realistically there arent many situations where you would need 320 lumens for an extended period of time without having a bigger light.

kaptain_zero

Enlightened
There are the Preon Ti with 10440 videos on Youtube. Just search for "4Sevens Ti Preon 10440 Update"

I run a 10440 in my aluminum version as well... no issues here.

Regards

Christian

Buddy L

Newly Enlightened
To CANADIAN BACON-
Thanks for the advice. Which AAA lights are built for the operation with the higher voltage 10440's? I've been using them in my Fenix LD01 SS and my Maratac AAA SS with no problems so far. I'd just hate to fry my new Preon Titanium, it's such a beautiful light and the added extra tail switch clickie makes it all the better in ease of operation. I carry it on a ss ball chain lanyard with a ss fishing swivel and spring clip for a really nice set-up.

TO ALL: What's your favorite single AAA go to EDC light and why?
:thumbsup::wave:

jag-engr

Enlightened
The problem with a 10440 is that it generates a lot of heat on high and the Preon head is very small. I believe the standard is that if you can comfortably hold the light, it's fine. Do not use HIGH as a candle, though - the light needs to be in you hand to: 1) gauge the temperature of the light, and 2) dissipate heat from the light.

The extra heat will also degrade the LED faster, so it may on last 10~15 years instead of 20. I wouldn't really worry about this factor, though.

The main concern with using a 10440 is that the cells are not protected and are therefore less safe. They could explode. Be sure of how to handle unprotected Li-Ion cells before using them.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received a Titanium Preon 1, it really blasts with a 10440 but I'm afraid to leave it on for more than a few seconds. The question is-will that increased voltage fry the LED and electronics? Is it safe to use it sparingly with the 10440? I really love the light on a stainless ball chain lanyard with a ss fishing tackle swivel and spring clip. I also got in on the 4 Sevens special on the Preon 2 with the warm tint LED, what a nice instrument.
Thanks for the advice. :shrug:

FWIW, the Preon is designed to handle up to 3.4V.... the UltraFire 10440 I use is only 3.6v. But as stated by the gentleman above.... I dare not use my Preon I on 10440 (High) for over a minute. If anything... I will switch to medium mode if I need to use it for an extended period of time. I only use high if I want to check something out in the distance. Medium is good enough for every other use.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use an ultrafire charger I bought from eB*y that takes all lithium battery sizes for like $10 I believe. But if you are really particular about your batteries being protected, I would probably either go with the Nano charger or one of AW's chargers for the extra $$$.