Can an x ray machine see inside a maglite heatsink?

Eddie-M

Newly Enlightened
Soo, I built a 3X P7 maglite, and I'm paranoid about how the driver is sitting inside the body. I don't know for sure if the driver board went right down into cavity on the backside of the heatsink or if it got twisted along the side and is diagonal ect.

I'm sure the guys that work the xray at work would let me see through the flashlight if I asked them, do you think it would work? I don't want to tear apart the maglite just to smack myself in the head cause the board was plum down the middle all along. Next time I will glue the driver to the heatsink/body, but for this flashlight, if the driver is centered correctly it will never move due to the pressure of the wires. I really shouldent be worried anyway b/c the heatsink is anodized and so is the maglite tube, but is still bugs me. Think the xray machine would work?

It01Firefox

Newly Enlightened
That would depend on what materials were used for the light/heatsink, how thick the material is and how powerful the xray machine is.

I guess the easiest thing would be to take it to them and ask them, they should know what their machine is capable of doing.

Markus

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
No reason why it should not work. Aluminum doesn't need much power to see through. Is this a medical X-ray machine or industrial? I don't know if medical machines have enough power, but industrial machines are normally strong enough.

Depending on what you normally X-ray (if it's for industrial application), you might need to bring the power down. It all comes down to the right kV and exposure time. Ask your radiologist and he should be able to tell you if your machine can do it or not

Mikis

Newly Enlightened
I work in security control. It will work. I see almost daily X- rayd flashlighs... :) you must go to the airport...

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
idk he'll have to look thru 10mm of aluminum,( tube itself, and heatsink) not the same as plastic body and thin aluminium shells of the supercaps, of the 5,11 light

imo, it doeasn't matter, if it works, leave it alone, actually i doubt you want to pot driver to 3xp7 heat sink, (a assume you talking about der witchel's kit) on full power, in 5 min heat sink gets so hot that it would do more harm than good to the driver, i have mine isolated between 2 ****s made of heat resistant tape, i use the light quite alot lately, works fine.

Last edited:

Latest posts