Help me Decide, Nitecore, Jetbeam. Oops, Just Bought None of the Above

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all,

Im having a hard time deciding on my next purchase, I dont have £100 to spend on a new torch but here we go again.

I have had a few Nitecores, the only one I kept was the D10 and its still going strong after 2 years, I have owned 2 Extremes 1 NDI and 1 EX10, all sold them within a few weeks because of minor issues.

On to the Jetbeam, did they buy Nitecore recently or something.
I have always wanted a jetbeam but something else always came up.

The 2 I am interested in are the new Iniflux IFE1 and the RRT-0.

How reliable is the Jetbeam compared to the Nitecore, I have heard issues with the Nitecore already.

Likes and dislikes,

Nitecore, variable output, forward clicky SS bezel. Dislike, reliabilty.
Jetbeam, Tailstand ability (big like), SS bezel, forward clicky. Dislike, none apart from never owned one before.

Or should I save the £100, throw in a little more money and get an HDS Clicky to send away to get an XP-G, or wait and see how the new D10 lookalike Jetbeam fares

Im hoping for some hands on opinions of each and possibly both as a comparison, really on the edge with this one.

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Help me Decide, Nitecore or Jetbeam

Just wanna spend money you don't have? I feel the same often... :eek:

Buying another Clicky to have it XP-G modded? Well, I'm not the modding freak and I'm pretty sure Henry will come with something XP-G like soon, so I wouldn't recommend a Clicky by now if you feel it's not bright enough for you.

I have both the RRT-0 (R2 version, OP reflector) and the IFE1. Both are really good lights with a similar UI and beam. The advantage of the Jetbeam ist the availability of an OP reflector and I like the UI better (no strobe, no standby!!!). You surely read the thread with our comments about the IFE1. The idea for the light is good, but the brightness change on the ring needs improvement, the standby is a useless function (0,1 Lumen would be standby, wouldn't it?) and no comment about the strobe, Nitecore seems to like it, they spoil each and every light lately with that disco blinking.

The new RRT-0 has an XP-G now and it surely has a bigger hotspot than the IFE1 now and the better beam thanks to an OP (if you take it, which I recommend). Go with that little light and take the extender with it to run a 14500! :wave:

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Help me Decide, Nitecore, Jetbeam or not

So the Jetbeam is more of a tool than the Nitecore?

BTW I already have my RA Twisty on its way to Tekno Cowboy for an XP-G and I like my high cri Clicky the way it is

UpChUcK

Enlightened

Ok, let's just get this out of the way now ... Buy both! :D

I highly recommend the RRT-0. I have the R2 OP version w/ AA extender and holster. I love the control ring, the separation in levels, SS bezel, high quality fit & finish, tailstands, fwd clickie, beam pattern, low low, high on 123/16340/14500, battery versatility w/ aforementioned cells + AA's icluding alkaline, NiMh & Lithiums and it is a really nice looking light. My RRT-0 goes everywhere with me and is the light I "show off".

Nite core is great too. I have the D20 and love it too, though not as much as the JB.

daimleramg

Banned

The new RRT-0 has an XP-G now and it surely has a bigger hotspot than the IFE1

Why would the RRT-0 R5 have a bigger hotspot then the IFE1? They both have similar sized reflectors(some people say its the same one) and they both use the XPG R5.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast

Why would the RRT-0 R5 have a bigger hotspot then the IFE1? They both have similar sized reflectors(some people say its the same one) and they both use the XPG R5.

Good question! :poke:

It was my feeling like I remembered the beams, I didn't think about the reflector...

I checked now and they are almost the same size (XR-E/OP against XP-G/SMO). The one of the RRT-0 looks bigger because of the OP, it doesn't have smooth edges. So, an XP-G in there should give a bigger hotspot than the IFE1. If both have an OP, the hotspots should be the same, if teh reflectors are indeed the same, I don't know, I don't see a difference in size though.

yowzer

Enlightened

I had the same two lights in mind a few days ago and went with the RRT-0 because of all the people reporting a very gritty control ring in the Nightcore and the trouble getting at the very low outputs (If you can't reliably access moonlight levels, why bother having them?), and because the Jetbeam can run with AAs.

The only issues I have with the RRT-0 is that my XP-G has a very blue tint, which I don't care for. Otherwise... well built, good range of output levels, very smooth, easy to use control ring, no disco modes. It's not going to replace my D10 as my normal EDC (I'm not sure if anything could do that.), but it's a nice light.

The hotspot is very small and well defined using the 'hybrid' reflector (Which is smooth), yet still has a fairly bright spill area.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh crap!

My hand slipped and clicked the buy button for a RA Clicky 170T :naughty: :green:

Anyway thanks for your suggestions, maybe next something doesnt come up ill get that Jetbeam huh :rolleyes:

Will an emitter swap will produce more lumens out a 170 as opposed to a 120? Im thinking it would seeing as the 170 is calibrated to give the LED more power, or is the LED used in the 170 just more efficient than that used in the 120 and 140 and thats the only difference, either way I think I will be pretty happy with my high cri and my bunny blaster :twothumbs

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Clickys are calibrated to run (at least) one hour on maximum. So, the 170 is more efficient as a 120, but the current that goes to it is not the same on each light.

I have not much knowledge about emitter swaps, but I think the Clicky is one of the worst lights to do that, you'd need to send it back to Henry to get it calibrated and I have no clue if an XP-G can be put in a Clicky.

If the operation is possible, I'm pretty sure that it has already been done, you just need to find the modder who did it...

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here we go, I have sent him my Twisty to get the warm XP-G that runj4c has. Have a look at his beamshots :candle:

As for getting it calibrated, the newer emitter will be more efficient so it will still have a minimum 1 hour runtime on high so that wont bother me.