SureFire 8AX Comparison Question

WaltH

Enlightened
I recently got a SF 8AX. And yes, it does have the battery/charger problem so that I get about 20 minutes of light on a fresh battery before it craps out. Over all I like the look/feel and design of the light. I know SF will address the problem and it will run to spec...eventually.

My question is this:
How does the 8AX compare to the Mag, US, Stinger HP, etc... I don't see where it is much, if any, brighter than my M2 with P60...much less the P61.

Thanks.

guncollector

Enlightened
Walt-

Try leaving the battery on the charger a few more hours after the light turns green (as opposed to pulling it off as soon as it turns green).

All the B90's--even the "problem ones"--I have will give you a full 35-40 minute run-time hot-off-the-charger (after charging overnight).

The much chronicled "B90 problem" is the rapid self-discharge of the cells in between 2-5 days.

agent8698

Newly Enlightened
I've had an 8AX for about a year. It was my introduction to SureFire and to high performance flashlights (all I had ever seen before was cheap K-mart type flashlights). So at the time, I was pleased. But lately, I've noticed that, even when fully charged, it doesn't put out much more light, if any, than my friend's SureFire D2 Defender with P60 lamp assembly. Plus, his 60 lumens of light looks slightly whiter than my 110 lumens. So, after doing some reading on this board, I decided that I want more light. I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about: I gotta see the light!

I drive a taxi, so I wanted a light that will mostly be either in the vehicle or in my hand. It had to be rechargeable. I didn't want it to call attention to itself as an exotic model by its looks, the way the 10X would. I also didn't want it to call attention to itself by its length, making it look like a weapon, like the UltraStinger or similar long lights. I wanted it to be no longer than about 8 inches long. I wanted it to blow away my friend's D2 in terms of light output. I didn't want to spend more than $200.

The TigerLight 8" model seems to meet all of these criteria, and, after reading Mr Ted Bear's review of the TigerLight, here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002862, I ordered it from Dan at http://www.tacticalwarehouse.com/. The URL for the 8" version of the TigerLight is here: http://www.tacticalwarehouse.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Scree n=PROD&Store_Code=TW&Product_Code=TGSF&Category_Code=T There is a slight mistake in the specs, the length should say 8" and the weight should say 21 oz.

A day after I ordered it for $125.99 + free shipping, I found out there is a special sale going on for CPF members only, through 11-30-2002, I could have saved another $14: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=000162# 000000 Oh well.

Anyway, I ordered it on from Dan's website on Saturday morning and I received immediate order confirmation by email, and then, 3 hours later, I received an email from Dan saying that my TigerLight had shipped!

Max

guncollector

Enlightened
agent8698 writes:
But lately, I've noticed that, even when fully charged, it doesn't put out much more light, if any, than my friend's SureFire D2 Defender with P60 lamp assembly. Plus, his 60 lumens of light looks slightly whiter than my 110 lumens.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">One suggestion, call Surefire Tech Support and request a new tailcap assembly spring. The metal in some of the older units was found to be defective, and was reducing voltage sufficiently to "yellow" the beam.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no spring in the tailcap of an 8AX. I believe the spring problem was only for the 9AN's?

-dan

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
BUT, you can makes the * series a bit better in the "switch" area by stretching the outer spring on the lamp assembly. I have found that this makes the light less prone to self activation, and I like the stiffer feel of the "switch" when this is done...

--dan