Arc AAA Hard Anodizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

tardis

Newly Enlightened
Just wondering how the HA anodizing holds up on an Arc AAA. At the moment I put my Arc in a leather pouch so it doesn't collide with anything like keys or coins etc. Maybe I'll put it on my Victorinox keyring and see how it fairs.

So how are yours holding up ? How long was it before they showed signs of wear, if any at all ??

Thanks for your time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ChrisA

Enlightened
Good luck for your Victorinox - it'll look ugly in no time if you put the Arc on the same keychain. You'll have a hard time putting a scratch in a type III hard anodized part and the fine knurling on the Arc helps to make it even more scratch resistant. I took my AAA off the keychain because it messed up my keys...

Chris

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i manhandled an old black HA arc AAA i had a while back for a few months before the HA actually started wearing off the edges for me to see the bare aluminium. its really tough /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tardis

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
ChrisA said:
... I took my AAA off the keychain because it messed up my keys...

Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I don't have to worry about the Arc then...the keys maybe, but not the Arc /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks for your replies.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have an le on a keyring(one that would choke a horse)
that in over 2 years of edc has lost the bite of the knurling but has retained much of the natural ha color.
has dings from repeated drops to concrete and asphalt where it landed bezel down.i fumble the keys and drop them once or twice a week so after >2 years it adds up.
the original photon from 95 or so was worn smooth to the point it fell apart from wearthru at edges and corners.
even the nasty vibration from a 400 cc 2 stroke dirtbike hasnt harmed the aaa

tardis

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
snakebite said:
...even the nasty vibration from a 400 cc 2 stroke dirtbike hasnt harmed the aaa

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow...now that's a real testament to the AAA's durability if ever I've heard one! I've yet to test out the AAA while riding my England based BSA 500cc 1939 M20...(don't let the cc fool you, it'll only do 40mph /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Bobvvue02

Newly Enlightened
Mine rides on my keychain. I can't tell that it has damaged the key, but it is tough. The only wear on the HA is around the bottom edge. The HA has worn off and plain aluminum is showing though. Not bad after 9 months of hard carrying.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a year now I've been carrying an Arc in my pants pocket with my keys and change and while the smooth sections are still black, the knurled sections are practically silver.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an Arc AAA LE with natural III HA, and I'm simply amazed at how gracefully it ages. I carry mine in my pocket and not on a keychain, so it doesn't take heavy abrasion, but over the past two years it's certainly seen plenty and, if anything, I think it looks better than new. The HA is worn off or smoothed down on the very highest points of the knurling only, and this gives the light a great looking texture. Certainly not any bare aluminum to it. Very nice.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
My AAA-P lives in my watch pocket with a Leatherman P4. The Arc is practically untouched, while the P4 looks like its been chewed up by a croc.

zorba

Enlightened
I edc a HA AAA on my key chain for a couple of months now, and just now I saw that it has a minute scratch where the light has the ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.