G2 LED upgrade for duty light

Aaron

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I am issued a Surefire G2 LED attached to a TDI-Arms BK-2 mount. It is attached to my holster, via picatinny rail, which is very convenient and accessible, especially when seated in a vehicle. The problem is that it's not nearly as bright as my some of my other lights . All of our gear is issued to us, and it is generally frowned upon to replace it with our personal gear. While it would probably be acceptable to use my own similarly sized light (a TK-11 or TK-12 R5 would be ideal), I think I would like to try upgrading the LED in the G2. What recommendations do you have for something that is very bright, with a Fenix type beam (especially the PD-30 or TK-11 type), reliable, and has only 1 mode? I'm thinking about the Thrunite P60 X-PG R5. Also, I would like to use a rechargeable set-up, my EDC is a Fenix PD-30 R4 with AW RCR-123's, and it works very well.

Thanks

Buckles

Newly Enlightened
Surefire just released the new KX4 head that fits the G2L. It replaces the 80l P60L with a 120l head. i think they run about $52

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I would give the new KX4 surefire head a look at. It's rated at 120 surefire lumens and will be very reliable. installation will be as simple as it gets, just twist the old head off and put on the new, done.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
That or a Malkoff Drop-in. While the KX4's look nice, the malkoff's are brighter and are on par with SF as far as build quality goes.

jtblue

Newly Enlightened
I have the KX4 head and it's brightness is equal to that of the xp-e q5 found on the earlier tk11's (225 lumens), however it has a far wider hotspot so it won't throw nearly as far as a tk11 or any other light with that type of design.

Seeing as your department issues you all your stuff, it's probably because they trust the brands they deal with, so they probably won't mind if you swap out the old lamps with surefire components.

unclevit

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I am issued a Surefire G2 LED attached to a TDI-Arms BK-2 mount. It is attached to my holster, via picatinny rail, which is very convenient and accessible, especially when seated in a vehicle. The problem is that it's not nearly as bright as my some of my other lights . All of our gear is issued to us, and it is generally frowned upon to replace it with our personal gear. While it would probably be acceptable to use my own similarly sized light (a TK-11 or TK-12 R5 would be ideal), I think I would like to try upgrading the LED in the G2. What recommendations do you have for something that is very bright, with a Fenix type beam (especially the PD-30 or TK-11 type), reliable, and has only 1 mode? I'm thinking about the Thrunite P60 X-PG R5. Also, I would like to use a rechargeable set-up, my EDC is a Fenix PD-30 R4 with AW RCR-123's, and it works very well.

Thanks

Last edited:

unclevit

Newly Enlightened

Thanks

Check ebay's G8 LED bulb for G2 (US$20 shipped to my country). Super bright and no problem on my 870 and M4. Takes 2 x 123a 3.7v rechargeable. Runtime 1+ hr easily :twothumbs

Kestrel

Flashaholic
A Malkoff M61W LED drop-in would be an excellent candidate, and probably the most bomb-proof option. However, it sounds like your department might be a stickler for OEM components rather than aftermarket parts, so perhaps the new SureFire LED head should be an adequate solution as well.

Last edited: