Closed - LED fatality...Flavio steps in...Read more about it.. + Stupidity Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, somehow I lost the Poll (yes, I know yall think I somehow ESPN'ed it but I swear, I didn't) so I've put up a new one, identical to this one so please come back and vote and of course, you can change your vote now if you want to.
DM51 is prolly gonna merge the threads so for those who posted, check back and see if your post is there and if not, feel free to repost and also, for those that posted something that is completely irrelevant like, when we discussed the problems, feel free to delete that post to shorten the thread down. I'm deleting a couple of my posts at the end.

Anyway...the new thread is obviously in this same forum.
=========================================== original thread/post below

Ok, so I've always wanted a JetBeam. I simply love the way they look and I've had a few. Had you say? Yes, I had but the problem is I'm dumber than a blonde with blue eyes and too damn stupid to figure out how they work so I sold them.

Now, the other day I see Flavio offer a killer deal on the Jet III M R2 and after being reassured by one of CPF's finest that IF needed, he will help me set it to the desired modes, I decide to pull the trigger.

Well, Flavio stepped in and offered to set it for me before he shipped it which he did.

So, today I get my light after tracking the mailman down (Yes, he DID call as instructed but I was asleep and YES, I have him well trained. He has been known to get a flashlight or two from me...)

I rip the box open, drop some parts that I can't find, realize the floor is too dirty to venture down on my knees and proceed to put a regular 18650 in there.

Beautiful light and lo and behold, it IS programmed. Max and moon.
The moon mode is so low I can't see it with the light on in the living room while shining it on the wall. This is too cool.

Now I got to thinkin' (never a good idea). I was gittin' ready to buy some more batteries as I only have a few 18650's and RCR123's and now I had another light that needed the above.
Again, I GOT TO THINKIN' and remembered that I may have a Wolf Eyes that's run on 18650s and sho nuff, there's a whole bunch in there so I cannibalize the light and see that they don't have a top.

Well, no problem, I'm smart as $hit and I can do this. Both ends are flat and my eyesight is...well, not present but I can see well enough to notice that the wolf eyes 2200mAH protected battery has a round indentation on one end. Surely this must mean that this is the positive side...?

Yep, logic dictates I'm right so I cram that one in (I kid, there was no cramming involved..slid in nicely and smoothly...am I the only one that thinks this sounds dirty?), indentation end towards the light.

Hmm, nothing happens. Maybe there's no charge. I turn it around, nothing.
Damn battery. Must be empty.

I get out a green flat top Sony I got with the Wolfhound. Again no markings but hell, one side DOES look different and again, logic dictates that this IS the plus side. I mean, I have a whole lot of life experience and if I've learned anything, it is that nothing beats experience (except stamina someone said...)

I jam it on in there, logical side up and again nothing. Damn these batteries that don't hold a charge. I turn it around and nothing. Oh well, no harm done, I'll put the original battery and go back to playing with my light....

Seriously, do I really need to continue...?

Well, I promised more reading so here goes...START at post #34 (http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=230976&page=2)

Anyway, I'm afraid to say this but post comments below and feel free to vote in the poll above...meanwhile, can someone tell me how to tie one of these knots on a thick rope?

:sigh:

By the way, just FYI 'cause there's one in every crowd...this is NOT a sales thread but a tribute to the great service of Flavio and BugOutGear and again, a thanks for fixin' my bad..

Oh, and for those replying, I will reply in kind, or MORE so do NOT take it seriously and get mad. It would defeat the purpose of this thread :D

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Re: LED fatality...Flavio steps in...Read more about it.. + Stupidity Poll

It's not just a banning. We're all coming over to beat you with our modded, full-size, Maglites. Then, the ones who have Mag623 versions are going to turn on their lights . . . and burn your house down. :nana:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast

Now, what part of BE GENTLE didn't you understand...?

:rolleyes:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm in with my stock 3D mag!!

oooooo sharp tactical strike bezels!!! :D

KuKu427

Enlightened

I got two Catapults. One for each hand. :whoopin: :twothumbs:twak:

KuKu427

Enlightened

Na, regular Al with SS bezel.
If you want Ti I can bring this along.
P1060723.jpg

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well duh, nothing but the best for me and besides, titanium doesn't rust and god knows how long that bezel will be embedded in my skull. Besides, I eat a lot of salt so you know my blood will tear up some metal in a heartbeat. Nah, Ti is the way to go, fer sure.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm in with my stock 3D mag!!

oooooo sharp tactical strike bezels!!! :D

Please don't bring the strike bezel .... Psst...do NOT click this link! See? You're thinking about it! What the hell did I say? :mad:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

C'mon now you've been around awhile I'm sure you can program that Jet M it's simple when the light is off and the head is loose momentarily tap the switch three times then click switch on..wait for it to ramp to the mode you want and turn it off. The output is set to the mode you want on the loose head/general mode, the tightened head/max cannot be changed on the Jet-M so your only dealing with the programming on the general mode (loose head).

ptolemy

Enlightened

That's why I sold mine aw's 18650...I just don't trust myself with dots for 1 end!

DM51

Flashaholic

LOL George! Er.. did those batts have a little + symbol on one end...? Love the poll :crackup:

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Before I vote in the poll, can you post photos of the batteries that caused all this problem?

I have several types of 18650 including those rescued from old laptop batteries and am curious to see the ones you have.

When reading your description my first thought was of D cells which always seemed to have a dent in the middle of the *negative* terminal, but always best to check with a multi-meter.

All this talk of 6/5 cell Maglites.... the best I could do is bring a Monadnock PR-24STS, but that is not very gentle :)

Last edited:

BarryG

Enlightened

If a battery has no markings, you can use a tester to check the voltage . Go by the red and black wires on the tester. Positive voltage and good. Negative voltage and polarity is reversed. Then mark with a Sharpie for future reference.

Got a 5D mag to bring to the party.:hitit:

Barry

mr.snakeman

Enlightened

Well duh, nothing but the best for me and besides, titanium doesn't rust and god knows how long that bezel will be embedded in my skull. Besides, I eat a lot of salt so you know my blood will tear up some metal in a heartbeat. Nah, Ti is the way to go, fer sure.
Then I will bring my Ti Fireworm F1-nice and heavy, makes big dents:devil:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast

You *******s completely ignored the "be gentle" part didn't ya...and they say that deep down, everybody's good...:banned:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast

Then I will bring my Ti Fireworm F1-nice and heavy, makes big dents:devil:

Ooooh, Ti...nothing says "I care" better than a piece of Titanium embedded in the back of your skull...remember boys, I'm a classy guy....OBVIOUSLY!

Thank you sir, may I have another...

:naughty:

Last edited:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast

If a battery has no markings, you can use a tester to check the voltage . Go by the red and black wires on the tester. Positive voltage and good. Negative voltage and polarity is reversed. Then mark with a Sharpie for future reference.

Got a 5D mag to bring to the party.:hitit:

Barry

See? I don't get it. Is this not some crap you could have brought up BEFORE I did this? Noooo, now that you've kinda gotten all the answers from me, you're gonna come in with some fancy schmanzy solutions AND, as if that weren't enough, you're upping it to a 5D! Now, that's just plain old, down south rude I think!

No milk and cookies for you :rant:

Besides, where's your spirit of adventure...testers...sheesh! I laugh at your suggestion sir! I laugh in your face I say...here, just like this! :lolsign:

Now, I bet you didn't see the sign I was holding did ya?

Using a tester! Who the hell does that? It would be like using a key to open the door...makes very little sense to me. That's what the door handle does, the thing below the key hole...sheesh...people!

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened

I'M kinda suprised the reverse polarity (idiot blocker) didn't save you.. Guess it didn't work on an 18650 and only blocks the cr123 head contact.. I'm not about to try it on mine!

Oh and I'm joking about the idiot comment. Kinda...!

Status
Not open for further replies.