35W HID with Li-ion

Ivan29

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

Sory for my poor english, I'm a frog!

Well, I'm building a diving video set with 2 HID 35W form a conversion slim kit for car, probably not the best but it was prety cheap... 35€.

I was thinking to use two 12V 4800mAh Li-Ion, so 12V 9,6A for a bulb.

The matter is, that the battery pack got a protection system and so it's no working. (http://cgi.ebay.fr/12V-Portable-480...rElectronics_Batteries_SM&hash=item4aa310389d)

I tried with a 12V 10A NIMH, and it's fine, but to heavy for what I'm going to do.

I wondering if I can realese the cells from the pack, re-build a new pack and ad a safety circuit, one who can give me the peack curent for starting the light?

If anybody can understand and help me that will be nice...

thanks, Ivan.

Last edited:

Ivan29

Newly Enlightened
Well, I couldn't wait so I had a look at my battery pack, there is no much in...

I mean, 3 cells, one "resistance", a led and a swich, So I think is just the battery who can't handel the "starting curent (don't know how to say it)".

If someone got an idea about a battery pack...

Thanks again, Ivan.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
The picture in your link shows a lithium polymer battery pack.
How are you charging this pack and have you used lithium polymer battery packs before?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
The picture in your link shows a lithium polymer battery pack.

????? i see li ion pack, there are plenty of flat li ions cells, we used to cylindrical, but flats are common in lap top batteries, cell phones batteries are flat cells to, so is his pack.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello,

Sory for my poor english, I'm a frog!

Well, I'm building a video set with 2 HID 35W form a conversion slim kit for car, probably not the best but it was prety cheap... 35€.

I was thinking to use two 12V 4800mAh Li-Ion, so 12V 9,6A for a bulb.

The matter is, that the battery pack got a protection system and so it's no working. (http://cgi.ebay.fr/12V-Portable-480...rElectronics_Batteries_SM&hash=item4aa310389d)

I tried with a 12V 10A NIMH, and it's fine, but to heavy for what I'm going to do.

I wondering if I can realese the cells from the pack, re-build a new pack and ad a safety circuit, one who can give me the peack curent for starting the light?

If anybody can understand and help me that will be nice...

thanks, Ivan.

i doubt the cells in the pack are of good quality to begin with, they pbly are rated 2c, but i'm pretty sure it is the limit, they might either die too soon, or even explode, if you let them take a hit (current surge). rewiring. or installing different pcb will still be hard on them, current spike can be as high as 10-15 amps, who knows.
try another route, eliminate the reason, soften the spike, this way the cells wont be feeling the surge, you need simple inrush current limiter, the cost about a dollar they are simple thermistors, try it, i can't give you 100% that it will solve the problem, (never had to deal with hid spike, but it worked in halogen lights that i build) but most likely it will, for $1 it worth the try.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
alpg,

the original poster stated that there are 3 cells in this pack. Look at the picture the seller link has. How big do you think 3 4800 mAh capacity cylindrical li-ion cells would be in relation to the size of the wire and plug shown taped to the outside of the actual battery?

That ebay seller lists the wall wart 12 volt power supply separately and the diameter of the metal barrel that connects to the battery cord is only 5.5mm.

That pack is just another typical ambiguous fleabay listing. Nothing new here.

Ivan29, your English is better than my French.

:welcome: Bienvenue ua PCF.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
alpg,

the original poster stated that there are 3 cells in this pack. Look at the picture the seller link has. How big do you think 3 4800 mAh capacity cylindrical li-ion cells would be in relation to the size of the wire and plug shown taped to the outside of the actual battery?

That ebay seller lists the wall wart 12 volt power supply separately and the diameter of the metal barrel that connects to the battery cord is only 5.5mm.

That pack is just another typical ambiguous fleabay listing. Nothing new here.

Ivan29, your English is better than my French.

:welcome: Bienvenue ua PCF.

well there is no where that seller mentions it is lipo, neither the marking on the pack itself.
but it doesn't matter, cuz that pack is a pos imo.
no half respectable manufacturer puts 12v on a 3 cell pack.
never seen a lipo pack that didn't have word lipo(or something like that) on it.

Ivan29

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Thanks for helping, I'm going to make some tests on the battery pack and also on the light to understand and know exatly why it doesn't work.

I will try to find those informations:

- the curent "A" when I start the light
- the consumtion of the light after 1minute
- the real capacity of the cell, and the 3 cells, to make sure they are similar...

what is on the ballast:

V in: DC9v-18v
L norm: 3,2A
L in: <6A
P out: 35W

Well if ever you see some think in need to check...

I haven't got a lot of testing gear, but you know how it's work, I know someone you know someone who got a brother in law...

Thank you again for your light, Ivan.

Buy the way I allready find some other pack from batteryspace, for exemple:

http://www.all-battery.com/li-ion18650111v7800mahrechargeablebattery31094.aspx
and
http://www.all-battery.com/li-ion18650111v13ahrechargeablebatterypackwithpcb31067.aspx
and also
http://www.batteryspace.com/customizeli-ion18650battery111v132ah18650x18147whwithpcm.aspx

Well, talk to you as soon as I got some result.

Ivan.

Last edited: