Inova X5T vs. Streamlight TT 2L

gadgetnut

Enlightened
Trying to decide between the two. From all reviews I've read, both seem like excellent lights. I like this size of light for portability. My thinking is this: The SL TT 2L does everything the X5T does. According to the specs, it will do it for about 8 hours longer, plus it has the Xenon bulb option if I ever need it. Some of you guys on here seem to know ALOT about these things. If you had to choose between those two, and you didn't have any other similar lights, which would you pick?

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have any experience with the Inova X5T but have one of their Microlights, can't really compare the two but I would place the Inova X5T like 5 of the small microlights, a nice output for no light situations.

During the black out last night I hung a microlight in the bathroom (white), and gave my little sister the green one. My mother took my Streamlight Scorpion for blasting dark parts of the house and when she was cooking and used my Energizer LED flippable light to guide around the house. My brother had my 2AA mag lite. I was roving the streets with my brand new SL TT L1 and my 6D maglite.

My thoughts on the TT 1L. I love this small little light. It sure doesn't have the output and throw of my Scorpion and the white is a yellow tint, BUT for its size and 3 LED's for long run time (think 9.5 hours for my 1L) and only needed 1 123 Lithium to run (I have a nice supply of 123's) I like it. For such a small light, the output is nice.

The TT 2L only gets better, longer run time and the light output is a bit whiter in xenon bulb option (not near the Scorpion though.)

www.flashlightreviews.com is how I came upon my choice of the SL TT 1L.

Personally both could be very useful. Have one for the house in blackout conditions (Inov X5T) then have the SL TT 2L for EDC.

EDIT: I also tried to put a Chisco power lanyard onto my TT 1L, didn't quite workout. So it now goes onto the 2AA mag.

www.brightguy.com is one of my favorite light sources.

E2E4ME

Newly Enlightened
There are two guys where I work with an X5T, and both need another light for checking equipment in areas with a lot of ambient light. For example, there are equipment tags hanging on pipes 15 feet or more in the air. Some of these tags are a little hard to read due to shadows, but there is still a lot of ambient light in the area. An X5 just doesn't have enough throw to illuminate the tags when there is ambient light.

However, another coworker is using a TT 3C, and he has the best of both worlds. For equipment cabinets, oil levels, etc, he uses the LEDs and for everything else he uses the incandescent.

For versatility I would get the TT 2L. The X5 seems to be good for a lot of things, it just doesn't have a lot of throw.

The only negative thing I've heard about the TT is having to cycle through the different modes one at a time to get what you want, but this is a minor quibble.

gadgetnut

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Stainless said:
"Buy Both."

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif One at a time. No matter which one I get, I'm also going to have to order a 12 pack of 123's from Surefire.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
My personal opinion, if comparing these two lights, get the TT instead of the X5T. The usefulness of having both low-level LED light and bright incandescent light capability in the same light is unappreciated unless experienced.

If you can swing it, get a Surefire A2. If not, the TT is an excellent option.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
If the TT 2L switches in the same manner as my 1L it would be a no-brainer!

click - LED (or Xenon if it was off after LED)
click - off
click - Xenon (or opposite of above)
click - off

I LOVE IT!!!

My 1L and 3C are my most favorite lights right now!

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight rang the bell with this series, even if they are re-badged Nuwai's. All the models are versatile as all heck, great workmanship, super long run time, good feel and function. I include the wonderful 3AA Lux Task Light here.

I now cannot really think of a reason to pick up anything else, unless I need suppeeerrrrr long throw (aka, Ultrastinger, SF 9P, etc.) The 3C TT makes a great club (if need be) also.

$ 20-30, jeezzz, thats a LIGHT.

If they had dual switches, they would border on perfection.

LightofMine

Newly Enlightened
For me that would be a very easy choice. I would go with the Streamlight. I don't have the 2L-Twin Task but I do have the 3C-TT. I like the Twin Task so much until if I lost mine I would order another one immediately. I agree with what John said about dual switches. That is the only improvement I would like to see SL make on the 3C-TT. For $30.00 it is a lot flashlight. It has a look and feel to it that says quality.

James

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
LightofMine- I saw that intro too. It should be a great pair. I like the extended run time of the 3C model.

I've had enough trouble with my rechargeables to not get too excited about another.

Batteries are cheap, and unless I go into Law Enforcement, and routinely run down the batts, (at 60, I doubt it), I'll stick with the battery models.

I am getting quite used to the click/on/off/on of the TT's, it's not a real problem, but wish they had two switches just the same.

You should try the TT 2L, it's small, and approaches the nice Xenon beam of the 3C model. Damn nice light.

zyk

Newly Enlightened
In my opinion, I will get a flashlight with two option in one, that mean Xenon bulb + LED, so I have bought a SL TT-2L
one month ago. Before I bought this flashlight, I have compare the Inova X5?(I'm not remember the model exactly) and SL TT-2L, I found that both of them have a near brightness in LED mode but the price have a big different
between them. Inova X5? is about HKD$470 and the SL TT-2L
is about HKD$333, so I bought a SL TT-2L.

For my next target, I want to buy a Pila GL2 and SL TT-1L,
but at that moment, I can't find any SL TT-1L in HONG KONG.

I hope the above information can help you to make a good choice!!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Re: Inova X5T vs. Streamlight TT 2L vs. TT 3AA

Ah, the weakness in man.

When in doubt BUY BOTH! Which is just what I did today.

I now own 2LTT and 3AATT Streamlights. They probably cost me almost 20 bucks more than ordering them from Brightguy, but hey, they were there!

I also got a Rip-offs (60 I think) holster that was intended for 4AA lights.

The 2L is just like my 1L, but a more perfect size!

I can see no significant difference between output of the 2L and 3AA, in fact 2L seems a smidge brighter on LEDS, 3AA just a teensy bit brighter on Xenon. Again, not enough to get excited about.

The 3AA is WAY too long to carry EDC, but it looks like the 2L in the Rip-offs is going to be SWEET!

Neither light focuses as tightly as some of you seem to want. But I like 'em just fine as is!

X-5 looks funky to me. So I recommend TT!!!!

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gadgetnut, I have the X5T and the StreamLight TT 3C. If I were in your shoes, I'd choose the SL TT 2L. It would have been my next choice after the 3c. Size and weight wasn't much of an issue. But, I plan to pick a TT 2L up for the wife's glovebox. I love my X5T too, but it doesn't have that focusable Xenon throw.
BC

gadgetnut

Enlightened
Wow...thanks for all the great advice guys! I think my mind's made up. It's going to be a SL TT 2L and a 12 pack of 123's from Surefire. That should hold me for a while /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I just have to wait a bit since I'm about to order my Luminox Marine series watch. The wife would kill me if I got the light too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

Latest posts