buying Ultra-G

x2x3x2

Banned
is there any other websites besides countycomm.com that sells Ultra-G's? i live outside the US but countycomm.com doesn't accept overseas paypal accounts. btw, y did they increased the price from $15 to $18?

x2x3x2

Banned
thanks for the reply, but i cant seem to find the Ultra-G anywhere on that website?

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Any reason why you want only the Ultra-G? Yhat's just the Government version of the Ultra. No difference in light output.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
x2x3x2,
I think the other dealers only have the Ultra & not the
Ultra-G. The Ultra-G has type 3 HA & no accessories. The
Ultra has type 2 HA & a lanyard & a pocket clip. Otherwise
they are the same. I think you'll be happy with either.
Texas Tactical also has the Ultra. I hope this helps.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
BroadArrow also sell the Ultra-G - but at $24(!)

http://www.broadarrow.net/lights.htm

To me the Ultra-G is kind of like the ArcAAA LE to the plain ArcAAA.

At one time the CountyComm site had these words:
These LEDs are hand picked for brightness and smooth, even illumination.
UNQUOTE

and Frank of CountyComm has said before that all the Ultra-G's are tested one by one before they go out.......

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=UBB10&Number=244959&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

CMG Ultra-G (#2)

sotyakr

Enlightened
I picked up one of the early Ultra-G's and I can't say that I was blown away by it's quality of construction or finish. Certainly decent enough, but nothing special. The supposed HA-III anodizing is worn substantially around the edges and head, compared to my Arc AAA LE which lives in my pocket and is constantly getting ground into keys. Again, there's nothing wrong with the Ultra-G, I'm just not sure if the "cachet" of the "US Government" engraving is worth the hassle, especially if you're outside the US.

Drjones

Enlightened
I'm in CA, and I thought it would be neat to have a "US Gov." item.

But that's just me... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Drjones said:
I'm in CA, and I thought it would be neat to have a "US Gov." item.

But that's just me... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No it's not. I'm here on the Left coast, own a couple of G versions and also think they're neat.

It's your money, you spend it to buy enjoyment. If you think it's worth it, it is.

Doug Owen

x2x3x2

Banned
well i prefer to get the Ultra-G cos it's about $10 cheaper than the Ultra. and also in the post comparing the 2 sometime back, there was quite a visible difference in the beem shots with the Ultra-G having a less violet tone.

paulr

Flashaholic
Batterystation sells the Ultra to CPF members for $15, same as Countycomm sells the Ultra-G for.

I think there's some color variation from LED to LED and it's likely about the same between the Ultra and Ultra G. I'm skeptical there's significant hand selection going on.

I'm going to get a couple more Ultras or Ultra-G's to give otu as presents. I'm leaning toward the Ultra because of its clip and lanyard, though the G has tougher anodization and the US govt logo may have some humor value for the recipients.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
Someone here contacted CMG a while back and was told the only difference between the civilian and Government Ultra is the type of HA finish. The lights are exactly the same in all other respects except the packaging [the civilian version comes with clip and lanyard, the Government version does not].

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
FlashlightOCD said:
Someone here contacted CMG a while back and was told the only difference between the civilian and Government Ultra is the type of HA finish. The lights are exactly the same in all other respects except the packaging [the civilian version comes with clip and lanyard, the Government version does not].

[/ QUOTE ]

While I don't recall reporting this here, that's exactly what happened to me. I called their Customer Service (Julie?), super service, she offered to exchange my Ultra-G head for one with a 'less bullseye like' beam, but warned me that he HA II color might not match well. She said they were all the same, that Country Com wasn't getting seconds.

Doug Owen

Catapult

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
FlashlightOCD said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. That was me. CMG said they were not hand selected. CountyComm did respond to that, stating that the Ultra-Gs were hand selected. If that is so, then the hand selection must have been done by CountyComm or someone else other than CMG.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another light in this class to consider would be the upcoming ARC AA. Ive got my name down for one of these beauties.

Drjones

Enlightened
I'd take the Ultra-G over the upcoming Arc AA because the Ultra is rated at ~20 hours max brightness, while the Arc is rated at only 10. I know either way its a lot of time, but the Ultra has DOUBLE the runtime of the Arc! That could make a big difference!

I just got one and love it. Here's my thread on the CMG-U!

paulr

Flashaholic
Why don't you do a runtime test and tell us if it really runs 20 hours at full brightness. I think that figure is unrealistic.

Drjones

Enlightened
I may try to, but I did a fair amount of research here and that figure is what I've seen in most threads about the CMG U.

The 10 hour figure is from ARC themselves, in their thread about the upcoming AA. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
I think Arc may be more conservative in its ratings. Just burn an AA and run your Ultra-G overnight and see what happens. It's pretty dim at the end! The Arc AA isn't available yet so can't be similarly tested, but the Arc AAA runs for 7+ hours on a battery with under half the capacity of an AA.