Anyone modify a vintage Delta E-lantern to LED?

Bullylite74

Newly Enlightened
Hello All-

I am brand new to this forum, so please forgive me if this has been covered. I am blown away by the knowledge, skill & creativity of some of the members here, so I was wondering:

Has anyone converted one of the many different models of DELTA electric lanterns, (very cool, built like tanks & MADE IN AMERICA) into a cool-running LED lantern? The old 6V dry cells they were intended for are no longer made and efficient LEDS just seems like a great alternative.

Anyone out there who has done it or has the know-how to do so, please come forward. I thank you in advance for your information.

All the best,

Mike

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't modified a Delta lantern before, but I have done some old flashlights with similar reflectors. I used sheets of copper and a brass fitting to create a large heatsink, and put the LED on the end of a section of copper tubing. Keep the current to the LED at a reasonable level (500mA, or so) and you shouldn't have any problems.

The main thing that you need to concentrate on with trying to retrofit an older light with an LED, is getting the LED focused. I found that the LED had to extend into the reflector further than I expected. Also, you do not want a lot of exposed area around the base of LED, or it will show up as a reflection in the beam.

One last thing that I found helpful was that the old reflectors can be restored to a decent polish if they aren't too far gone. I was able to polish the reflectors with some Flitz metal polish, which improved the output and appearance.