Clicky switch cycles

sonrider657

Newly Enlightened
I read this excellent flashlight review on Vuurwapenblog.com and the author noted that "the switch was certainly activated over 3000 times. It showed no signs of deterioration, and still looks and feels new". This sounds very impressive but I have no frame of reference. How many cycles should a clicky switch hold up to?

wquiles

Flashaholic
I read this excellent flashlight review on Vuurwapenblog.com and the author noted that "the switch was certainly activated over 3000 times. It showed no signs of deterioration, and still looks and feels new". This sounds very impressive but I have no frame of reference. How many cycles should a clicky switch hold up to?

There is no way to answer your question without knowing the "exact" switch in question, as each switch manufacturer has different specifications, for not only the number of times the switch is rated to, but also at what current/voltage that rating applies.

Reputable makers always include this information in their data sheet, so if you can identify the specific switch you are interested in, then you would need to find the specific data sheet to answer your question.

If for example you look at this specific switch, you will see under life expectancy a minimum number of 50,000 operations:
http://www.omron.com/ecb/products/pdf/en-a3a.pdf