Solid Gold Brass - How about a brass LS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardent

Newly Enlightened
Hi Peter;

How about making some LS's out of brass? The LS's are wonderful and unique lights as it is (a large part of their attraction), this would make them more so. Brass is pretty, and you see so few lights made in it. With the popularity of the brass AAA, and recently, the brass fireFlys, I think you would have an INSTANT market for these lights. If you price them modestly, I think people will buy several - for themselves and for gifts.
I know I would like one, maybe several. Anyone else?

PS. My LS was the hit at the pool party during last night's blackout - and I brought several nice lights over.

Regards

Arden

BigMac

Enlightened
I would love one, but I could barely afford a regular LS. A brass would almost definitely be out of my price range.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ardent,

Peter has said, and I quote:

"OK, sorry to be harsh, but no on any fancy metal. It has to be utilitarian. I already feel like I compromise my principles too much with things like the brass AAA, LS3 and the Arc-AA.

Now the LS4, pure Arc... uuuh huh!

Sorry if I am being too opinionated.

Peter"

So, not much hope for a brass Arc LS in the future.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
This isn't a flame- just a comment! Brass doesn't hold up anywhere near as well "in the pocket"- with keys and the like, to anodized aluminum. IMO you would wear .025" worth of knurling down to smooth in less than 2 years! Anodizing electrochemically-converts an aluminum surface to aluminum oxide- (really hard major abrasive!) No other material/finish combination offers a better engineering compromise (thermal/electrical conductivity and general wear resistance) than TypeIII anodize! I left-out cost effectiveness! Forgive the rant!

Larry

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I should add that Hard-chromed brass should hold-up pretty well! Some pocket lights where thermal mass will add to the run-time-to-ouchfactor might benefit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shrap,

Aluminum has a density of 2.70 g/cc.
Brass has a density of 8.6 g/cc.

In other words, more than 3 times as dense. Thus, I think it is conservative to estimate a brass LS at twice the mass of an Aluminum one. Just a back of the envelope calculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.