Dereelight DBS V3

Hessy

Newly Enlightened
i was looking to get the dbs V3 but not sure on what config to get :confused:
Can anyone tell me what the main diff is between the XP-G R5, SST-50 and the MC-E led's??
i really like the beamshots of the jetbeam M1X but wanted a light thats a little more compact.
i was also considering the jetbeam rrt1 but the hot spot may be a little too sharp.
pretty new to this kind of thing so any suggestions would be great!:thumbsup:

red02

Enlightened
There is no point in getting the XPG if your going for throw. SST50 or XRE (available upon request from Flashlightconnection) will out throw it easily. The MCE is just 4 XREs inside a single package, they are supposed to be more floody but I'm sure it will best the XPG as well.

RRT1 has a bigger reflector and will out throw any DBS setup.

Bac0n Samm1ch

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a DBS MC-E from the flashlightconnection. Jay answered all my questions via emails. Jay is quick to answer your questions and is plenty knowledgeable. Anyhow, the MC-E is a beast, lights up a huge area for a pretty long ways.

I'm a newbie collector of lights right now, I had just bought a LD20 R4, found out about this site and then bout the MC-E 2 days ago. I recieved the MC-E today and then ordered the SST-50 pill and the SMO reflector, along with both extender tubes so I could use rcr123's or 18650's. I also bought 6 AW rcr123's and 4 AW 16850's from another site. I guess I thought "Go big or go home!".

Midnight Oil

Enlightened
One of the big selling points of the DBS is its modularity and hence upgradebility. Who knows, maybe in the near future, Dereelight will offer a larger turbo head that legoes onto the existing DBS or CL1H bodies and reclaim the title of the "King of Throw."

I don't know of any other thrower with a reflector and a head the size of the DBS that can out-throw the DBS. Eventhough it is no longer the absolute King, perhaps it still is King in its own class?

If you have more questions, do a search for DBS. Members WadeF, Stallion25, to name a few, have extensive experience with the DBS lights.

You can also email Jay @ [email protected]. He is the authorized Dereelight dealer in the US. His CS is top-notch and his responses are always courteous and spot-on. Check out his site at flashlightconnection.com.

I'll be receiving my first DBS from him sometime next week. It will be fitted with a low-voltage XRE-R2 in a SST-50 smooth reflector. It appears the XRE smooth reflectors have been discontinued, but Jay has verified that the SST-50 smooth reflector is a 100% compatible substitute.

Bac0n Samm1ch

Newly Enlightened
From my very limited experience, the DBS gets warm pretty fast with the MC-E in a only a couple of minutes. I have only ran it about 5 minutes at a time but it does get pretty warm. I think anything stronger is going to need some way to dissipate the heat to be able to run for very long. The DBS is much smaller than I had imagined once I got my hands on it.

One of the big selling points of the DBS is its modularity and hence upgradebility. Who knows, maybe in the near future, Dereelight will offer a larger turbo head that legoes onto the existing DBS or CL1H bodies and reclaim the title of the "King of Throw."

I don't know of any other thrower with a reflector and a head the size of the DBS that can out-throw the DBS. Eventhough it is no longer the absolute King, perhaps it still is King in its own class?

If you have more questions, do a search for DBS. Members WadeF, Stallion25, to name a few, have extensive experience with the DBS lights.

You can also email Jay @ [email protected]. He is the authorized Dereelight dealer in the US. His CS is top-notch and his responses are always courteous and spot-on. Check out his site at flashlightconnection.com.

I'll be receiving my first DBS from him sometime next week. It will be fitted with a low-voltage XRE-R2 in a SST-50 smooth reflector. It appears the XRE smooth reflectors have been discontinued, but Jay has verified that the SST-50 smooth reflector is a 100% compatible substitute.

Hellbore

Enlightened
I was thinking of getting a DBS V3, does anyone know, which emitter is brightest between the MCE and SST-50, and which throws better?

red02

Enlightened
DBS is absolutely the best thrower in it's class. I recommend it without reservation. Normally I am quick to notice and get disenfranchised with lights, but the DBS is something I cannot fault. Not to say its perfect but I've passed on bigger and brighter (more lux) throwers and I do not regret it one bit. If I had to do it all over, there is no chance I would choose any other thrower.

Midnight Oil

Enlightened
I was thinking of getting a DBS V3, does anyone know, which emitter is brightest between the MCE and SST-50, and which throws better?

According to flashlightconnection.com

SST-50: 490 OTF
MCE: 500 OTF

Also check on CPF for the integrating sphere measurements by BigChelis and MrGman.

I think the SST-50 in a SST-50 SMO throws farther.

red02

Enlightened
From my very limited experience, the DBS gets warm pretty fast with the MC-E in a only a couple of minutes. I have only ran it about 5 minutes at a time but it does get pretty warm. I think anything stronger is going to need some way to dissipate the heat to be able to run for very long. The DBS is much smaller than I had imagined once I got my hands on it.

Thats a good thing. Means that the body is acting as the heatsink for the module which is usually poor for P60 lights, which normally use a spring. My DBS get very warm, but not hot with 3xNiMHs pushing a Javelin driver.

The MCE needs more current, and there are 4 XREs instead of one so thats pretty normal. Heat will probably worse with the SST-series LEDs since they generate more than the XREs or XPGs.

jblackwood

Enlightened
As far as heat goes, I've run tests about four times with two different battery configurations (8 runs in all) in order to get runtimes for my DBS with an MC-E pill (three stage):

2xRCR123: 47 minutes
2x18650: 1 hour and 10 minutes

Both tests were run with AWs rechargables straight from him. When I picked up the light at the end of each run, yes it was a bit too warm to hold. But those tests were run over two years ago and I've used my DBS just about every night since continuously without any kind of blue shift or reduction in output which is usually the symptom of LED damage. Additionally, I've never had a problem holding light while it wore down an entire charge for whatever configuration I was using.

That light was my first over $100 purchase and still the best money I've spent besides my McGizmos, though those serve an entirely different purpose as my EDC. If I got rid of all my other lights, I'd be left with one McGizmo Lunasol 20, my Lummi Wee, and my Dereelight DBS with an MC-E 3 stage pill and an OP reflector. There's really nothing else like it as far as power. I've read all sorts of reviews for other lights and there aren't that many beamshots or testimonials that move me enough to venture my money on other lights for power and reach as much as this light, especially if you consider that you can fit this guy in a jacket pocket, I have many times, without the extender for the two 18650s, of course.

On a personal note, you never forget your first love. This is the first light that made me feel like a god at night with the amount of output and reach (yes, throw) it has. No other light, not my DBS with an XR-E pill, not my 4sevens Quark Turbos (not even close!), not even my three DEFTs, give me the kind of feeling that this one does. Don't get me wrong, those other lights all have their strengths and I use them as tools for different purposes (the DEFTs throw like crazy!!!), but as far as pure fun, I always pack my MC-E DBS if I want to enjoy myself just like I used to back when I first started this hobby some 24-odd months ago! :crackup:

Keep beam profiles in mind when you're shopping around. I have a nice little Elektrolumens EDC-MCE whose numbers should put my DBS to shame (at least at first, since it's a direct-drive light). The only problem is that the EDC-MCE puts out more lumens in a much more dispersed fashion. It's great if you're only trying to illuminate things about 10-15 feet in front of you. Any farther and you'd be better served by a single cell Quark, it has more throw! But like I said, the lumens are MUCH more spread out so EVERYTHING is illuminated. If you're pointing the light parallel to the ground everything from almost directly below the aperture to a 20 foot high building (as long as you're pretty close to it, that is) is illuminated. The DBS focuses that light much better and sends out the light much farther.

So Hessy, I'm not really sure what to recommend since you never mentioned if you want a thrower or a power light that can throw a little bit? If you're not sure, why not check out this thread? It's got great info and can really help you nail down your usage. :candle:

Oh yes, and a big, South Florida :welcome: from me!

jblackwood

Enlightened
And if you do decide to get ANY Dereelight, make sure to check out the flashlightconnection. Jay has the best selection (I think he's still the only US dealer for Dereelights) and has the very BEST customer service of anyone I've dealt with here, every bit as good as Gene Malkoff and Don McLeish as well as 4sevens. He also has some pretty good prices on other brand lights too (I found out recently!). It beats ordering directly from China, since they'll put your light on a slow boat and you'll end up waiting about 3 weeks like I did for my CL1H before I knew about Jay! :mecry:

Hessy

Newly Enlightened
thanks for all the info everyone.
big thanks to jblackwood too. looks like ill be getting the DBS MC-E.
im looking for a thrower but would like a little more beam spread than the rrt1.
the great thing about this light is that i can change it to a different light depending on need.
so will i get more throw with a smo or op reflect?
Also im in OZ ill get in contact with the guy mentioned above to order.
thanks again!!!:huh:

red02

Enlightened
im looking for a thrower but would like a little more beam spread than the rrt1.
the great thing about this light is that i can change it to a different light depending on need.

The MCE only comes with OP from what I understand. I think you can use the SST50 SMO as the MCE is about the same size, but you'd have to ask Jay at flashlightconnection for more information about MCE+SST50 compatibility and throw.

As far as beam profiles go there is a great beamshot thread that I used to decide to get the DBS:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2995235&postcount=1

Last edited:

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have the DBS MC-E with OP and it's a real wall of white light, but not much of a thrower. The DBS SMO reflector does not work with an MC-E - huge hole in beam due to quad LED design. A better balance of throw and flood is the DBS SST-50 with SMO reflector. It throws much farther than the MC-E with almost as much bright spill.

Either way you won't go wrong with Dereelight, they truly are a modular design.