PT 40 and Attitude

Hutch

Newly Enlightened
Since I haven't been able to find a single flashlight that meets all my needs on a college student's budget, I've tenativly decided on going with the PT 40 and Attitude as a combination of lights to replace (or maybe augment)the minimag I currently keep in my backpack. Does anyone have an opinion on either of these lights by themselves or the two used in conjunction. BTW, I already EDC a white PT Pulsar II and a red Pulsar I.

Thanks in advance.

Hutch

Newly Enlightened
Oh, forgot to mention that the lights will also be used backpacking and canoeing trips, if that has any bearing.

thanks.

EPguy

Newly Enlightened
Will the SF G2 fit your budget? I really like the light and it's pretty cost effective.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the SureFire G2 and the PT Attitude are a better combo. I have the Attitude it's a nice flaslight, tiny slim, 3-LED.

My point is you would be best served by something very bright and something lower powered area illumination.

GregR

Hutch

Newly Enlightened
I really like the G2 EXCEPT it's not waterproof. That's always puzzled me about SF, why they didn't make these wonderful flashlights waterproof, at least to two ATM. If it was, the G2 would definately be on my list, and I just don't have enough $ to go for a 6PN, although it is on my long term wish list. After spending a dark, rainy weekend on the AT last year, I swore off "water resistant" flashlights that don't give depth ratings.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regarding Surefire's waterproofness : i have dunk tested both my E2e and my M2/KL3, and im happy to report they are submersible (bath depths anyway). Also, given surefire's good customer service, i have every confidence if they DO spring a leak, they will be fixed.

JimM

Newly Enlightened
I like the PT Attitude matched with the PT Rage since the bodies are the same, the heads are interchangeable, and they're waterproof.
In AA, I like the UK 2AA and 4AA lights.
All offer pretty good bang for the buck IMO.
Jim

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
they make an excellent combo. the tec 40 uses easy to find and inexpensive pr bulbs. it is also easily hotrodded.
it is not the easiest light to pocket, however.

if you want an even smaller and less expensive package, you can try the rage. it is a very bright little bugger, but has a shorter runtime than the tec 40, and uses a bulb assembly. they do share the same bat type, so you can use the spent bats from the rage in the attitude.

after the power outage last night, i realized that having a super bright light is barely necessary for most of us. the attitude was plenty for most needs.

Bob

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
The Tec40 and Attitude are two of my favorite lights. I think you'll be happy with the performance of both. If I hadn't bought 2 ArcLSs I'd still be using them on a daily basis.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
UK 2L

POSITIVES: Bright, tiny, long burning, waterPROOF, tough, featherweight, cheap

L 4 3/8"
Bezel Dia 1 1/8"
Body dia 7/8"
WT 2.6oz (with batt)
Burntime (measured) 2:45-3:15 (equal to PT 40/alkalines)
Total light output (measured) Equal to PT 40. Throw (with 480 lamp) superior to PT 40)
Waterproof to crushing depths
Uncommonly resistant to physical shock
Lightest 2x123, tied with original E2 for shortest, slightly thicker than E series.

NEGATIVES:

Proprietary lamp assemblies. #480 very bright considering long runtime, but narrow beam. Other (usually older) lamps somewhat inconsistant beam.

GENERAL:

One of the best and most popular very small general purpose/emergency incandescent lights on the market. As with any incandescent, this light should be backed up with an LED light and/or extra lamps & batteries.

Brightnorm

Sharp

Enlightened
You'll never be disappointed with any PT. Attitude's a great choice, but a Rage would be better that a PT40. First of all, size! You can put both of them in your pockets an anyone will hardly notice. OR you could get a Blast. That's great too. I'd say Blast if you don't really need power(hey,it's always 1 watt!), since the Blast can also be attached to your watch or cap via Clip.

jtice

Flashaholic
I have a PT Tec 40 and LOVE it.
I use it as my "bright" long throw light.
Completely Kills a 2, and 3D Mag. And is much smaller.
I think it will make a great bight, long throw light for you. Best of all, it uses easy to find AA's.

Something like a SL 4AA led light might make a good softer, flooding light. With good runtime.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
the pt40 is one of my favorite lights.. it's my most used light outside of the apartment.. (it's too bright for the indoors in my opinion)

check out the underwater kinetics 4aa light for a nice xenon light..

for led lights (that are waterproof) check out the cmg infinity ultra for 20 bucks.. and you can sometimes find the inova x5t on sale for less than its common 40 something dollar price tag..

paulr

Flashaholic
PT40 is a nice light but kind of heavy for backpacking. I prefer the UKE 2L which is about as bright, but much smaller and lighter. It's more expensive though.

There's also the PT Rage, not quite as bright, but uses the exact same batteries as the Attitude, so you don't have to carry so many different kinds of spares. The Attitude should be able to run ok on very weak batteries, so when the the Rage's batteries get too weak to run it brightly, they'll still run the Attitude for a while.

Then there's the PT Blast, which uses 2 AAA's and is smaller (and dimmer) than the Rage. It's still bright enough for most purposes. I'd say it's a little brighter than a stock minimag, to give a basis for comparison. It weighs less than 2 ounces.

Finally, you might consider an Aurora (headlamp) as a possible alternative to the Attitude. Costs a little more but operates hands-free.

Lose the Mini-Mag, it weighs too much and is pretty weak.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
good points, paulr.

i have all of the lights you mentioned: tec40, attitude, rage, blast and aurora. i bought the little blast on your recommendations--nice little light.

i wonder if PT intentionally made all the smaller lights AAA format? really, it would be very easy to carry the attitude, blast/rage and aurora. very light and small, waterproof, tough, same bats and inexpensive.

Sharp

Enlightened
pedalinbob,
My EDC setup is made mostly of PT's. I carry an Infinity at the neck. Everything else is PT: A blast, rage, attitude, and Impact II plus an Eclipse. I usually carry my Aurora with me and I'm waiting to get the Eclipse II and Scout. The third one is smaller that the Aurora, but uses 4 CR2032 and are very hard to find and expensive, but it's small and can be detached from the headstrap.
Together with these lights, I'd suggest to bring some spare batteries and by doin so you get over 200 hours of light!
One last note, I tested my PT40 and won my E2 out. Both battery sets were new. Is somebody else's PT40 as bright or is it just mine(I modded the bulb)?

EDIT - If you really want a bright light with long throw, get a Surge and put some Energizer Ni-Mh 2100. It makes great light almost for free and can compete with SF Z3. I know it's quite big, but you can always find a pocket in the winter... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Grummond

Newly Enlightened
Hutch

After reading your requirements I think the Tec40 and Attitude will serve your purpose well.
Personally I wouldn't (in this case) change the Tec-40 for a SF G2, as you say you are on a collage budget and you will be going backpacking and canoeing.
On a limited budget I'd want cheap readily available batteries, (not expensive lithiums) if backpacking I'd want more than 1 hour runtime, if canoeing I would take comfort knowing that my lights are waterproof.
I think your decision to go for the Tec-40 and Attitude are practical for your needs and make sense.
Not to sound too fussy but I'd probably want an Arc aaa round my neck under my shirt, if you are in a boat at night and it goes over your kit could end up going over board (including your lights).
I have my Arc aaa in a Kydex holster on a leather lanyard round my neck (the lanyard is strong but not so strong that if it got caught on something I would choke, if I pull hard it will snap).

Hutch

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all your help everyone. I only got a few hours of sleep last night since I was up playing with the Attitude I picked up yesterday. Very cool little light. Thanks again for all your help.