Flashligt for exploring and photo.

FaniSkogen

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

First I must say I don't have much experience with flashlights of this caliber. I have to this date only owned budgetlight bought at the gasstations etc.
I recently bought the Romisen RC-T6 and I'm very satisfied with this light.
It has what I think very good throw and the output is incredible! It will be very usefull for me when I'm going out and exploring old industries and caves wich is one of my biggest interests!
One other hobby I have is photography and I like to do this when I'm out exploring and for this the romisen is not the ultimate light due to it's concentrated spot and not enough flood.

So now Im looking for a light wich can help me take photographs in dark places.
I think this light should have very good flood (I believe it's called flood?) and also a very even beam. I want to get rid of the concentrated spot in the middle and have a wide even beam that will make the photograps look good and with even light all over the photo.
A good output is always good but it does not have to be as bright as the Romisen.
The price can not be higher than 100$. prefereably under 50-60$.
So my question is, are there any good lights you can recommend?
I live in Sweden.

Last edited:

BarryG

Enlightened
I had an Inova X5 that was all flood and never let me down. Just remember in an X5, the batteries go in backwards.
Remember, 2 is 1 and 1 is none.(in a cave, this is even more true)
:welcome:
Barry

entoptics

Enlightened
A 2xAA light from 4Sevens (Quark), EagleTac, or Fenix sounds pretty ideal.

You'll get approximately 200 out the front lumens which is VERY bright, with lower modes for long runtime. Bright for photography, dimmer for navigation.

I strongly recommend forgetting about getting a "very floody" beam, and consider getting a diffuser attachment instead. It's often stated here on CPF that it's much easier to make a throwy light floody than to make a floody light throwy. Several companies offer diffuser attachments at relatively cheap prices, and it's fairly easy to construct your own using a variety of household items (bottle caps, tape, butter tub lids, etc, etc, etc).

The "standard CPF recommendations" are...

Quark AA2, EagleTac P20A2 MKII, and Fenix LD20. All of these have excellent output and efficiency, smooth artifact free beams, and excellent durability. Cost in the USA will be about $50-$65.

The EagleTac comes with a high quality diffuser and Fenix offers a cheap but effective diffuser as an extra accessory. Quark also has a very clever diffuser/prism/head band accessory, but the price is a bit high at $20.

b29

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered the Zebralight SC50w+. I checked the Zebralight website and they do free worldwide shipping which might be important since you over in Sweden. This will be my second "real" light after my trusty Fenix LD20.

You can search for Zebralight here and find many good beam shots.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi!

First I must say I don't have much experience with flashlights of this caliber. I have to this date only owned budgetlight bought at the gasstations etc.
It has what I think very good throw and the output is incredible! It will be very usefull for me when I'm going out and exploring old industries and caves wich is one of my biggest interests!
One other hobby I have is photography and I like to do this when I'm out exploring and for this the romisen is not the ultimate light due to it's concentrated spot and not enough flood.

I think this light should have very good flood (I believe it's called flood?) and also a very even beam. I want to get rid of the concentrated spot in the middle and have a wide even beam that will make the photograps look good and with even light all over the photo.
A good output is always good but it does not have to be as bright as the Romisen.

I live in Sweden.

First, try putting a light diffuser on the Romisen, see if you can avoid hauling another light. Lightpainting and diffusing it should do the trick.

I have a similar hobby. I'm a huge fan of the Quark AA^2 tactical in neutral white, but the R2 has a more useful pattern for photography than the newer R5 due to its better throw. A general-use light can be used for photography, but you have to learn to light-paint. This spreads out the output and is nice because you don't need a separate light. Its output won't match the RC-T6. With a tripod that's not so important. Mine has survived lots of abuse, swimming, and never failed. I've never needed that much light; but then I bother with a tripod instead.

PatrikN78

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

I live in Sweden.

I agree with other people here, get a diffuser!

Look at these beamshots of the EagleTac T20C with the diffuser:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/235171

I think this is what you're looking for.

I'm also in Sweden and photographer :)

Surnia

Newly Enlightened
iTP Eluma SA2, infinite ramp and 3 preset modes, plus water bottle caps fit perfectly over the top as a diffuser. I use it for biking and some photography

FaniSkogen

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for your answers!
I forgot to say that if there will be a new light, it should be with 18650 batteries because I already got 6 of those and planning to buy some more.

But this reflector seems to be the best. Is there any guide about how to make these? Or should I buy one?

Best regards
Christofer

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
the zebralight 18650 model is all flood, you can go direct to zebralight's website to check it out.

If i recall correctly, you could remove Shiningbeam's RC N3 light's head to expose the LED which would give you 100% pure flood but not much range. You could email Bryan from Shiningbeam for some help on this, he is extremely helpful.

You can also check out the Solarforce L2 and get the Solarforce MC-E dropin, this setup is floody and can run off 18650s.

Last edited:

bullterrier

Enlightened
I agree with other people here, get a diffuser!

Look at these beamshots of the EagleTac T20C with the diffuser:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/235171

I think this is what you're looking for.

I'm also in Sweden and photographer :)

A Maglight 3D with MCE-Drop-in-III, 3 MCE LEDs, 1290 - 2100 Lumens pure flood :twothumbs
works fore me in the forest when i walk my dog and i got my camera with me.

var är ni från grabbar?