Poll: Should Gene Malkoff continue the M60W/M30W series modules?

Should Malkoff continue making Warm M60/M30 modules?

• Yes

Votes: 77 75.5%
  • No

Votes: 25 24.5%

• Total voters

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is one for all of you Malkoff warm drop in module fans. Reply to the poll to see just how many people around here acutally want Gene Malkoff to continue making the M60/M30 series optics modules in warm tint. I personally like these modules and do not see the new M61W modules as the best repacement for these tints. I really dont think that enough was ever made to satisfy demand. This is a niche that has been left somewhat void. Maybe if enough interest is generated, he just might make us somemore. DONT get me wrong, as the M61/31 series modules are truly awesome.

donn_

Flashaholic
Keep in mind Gene's market is more than just the members of CPF. He also supplies Police Forces and other LEO groups. He rightly considers them as well as us when making product decisions.

I haven't sampled an M31 yet, but I have an M61 and numerous M60/M30 in all the configurations. The M60 and the M61 are entirely different critters, IMO. I've got uses for each of them, but a cop's only got so much room on his duty belt. I imagine the reflectored XP-G emitter would be a better all-around choice for someone who can only carry one light.

All that said, you need a 3rd choice on your poll... Maybe.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
IMO it would be more productive to pursue the warmer tints in the M61/M31 series. I've been in the process of getting rid of my other emitters and transitioning to the XP-G. I gather that true warms in the XP-G aren't available in quantity as of yet, but the XP-G has so many advantages for my uses that I'd much rather go that route. I sold off my last M60 anticipating the M31W (actually neutral - you have a valid point), as from what I've read here, the beam from the reflector is exceedingly useful.

I imagine that this could be a pretty decisive topic. :huh:

My 2 lumens, at least. :shrug:

jellydonut

Enlightened
I won't say anything as I only have a regular M60 so far.. But could you elaborate to those of us like me why the new reflector modules aren't a replacement for the old ones?

Bright_Light

Newly Enlightened
Maybe they'll have optics for the XPG soon? I know they still won't throw as far as the XRE/M60, but good enough from what I've seen from this other guy who sells a dropin similar to Gene's. Maybe Gene will offer M61Os (optic) sometime in the near future. :thumbsup:

I was lucky to find two M60s for my brother and nephew a few weeks ago at Elzetta. The tints were suprisingly neutral compared to the M60 I purchased a year ago from Gene for $55. They are happy with them.

And maybe they'll have XPG S2s in warm tints soon, but I'm beginning to wonder if this is vaporware.... :thinking:

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's more a matter of personal preference to me. I have several reasons to raise this topic to discussion. Please remember that this post is not to bash the M61 as it is awesome and does outperform the former modules in several areas.

1.) M61W's are neutral in tint, the former M60W's are true warm.
2.) M61's have a really nice beam, but it is a fixed beam with no choice. The M61 is neither a true thrower or flooder. The former M60's can be good throwers or awesome flooders depending on which optic. I am a fan of the gradually diminishing spill of the M60. You do not get this with the new reflectored M61.
3.) I personally dont think enough of the warm M60 modules were produced to supply demand.
4.) The M61 series is more of a compromise to give most everyone most of what they want, where the former modules can be tailored to your personal taste of beamshape and tint.

I won't say anything as I only have a regular M60 so far.. But could you elaborate to those of us like me why the new reflector modules aren't a replacement for the old ones?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
M61** is a great module but it doesn't replace M60**. The latter has a tighter beam and has that much more punch outside. The lumens are irrelevant given the hotspot of M60 is more illuminated than hotspot of M61, so you can see better. Per square inch, M60 is brighter even if the total lumens are behind. This is especially obvious beyond 25-50m.

The clear advantage of M61 is inside. It's good for working on the car as it lights up more of the engine bay, or something where throw is not that essential and you want a touch of flood.

What I want a slightly tighter beam. 8 degrees is about ideal for me. But what I really want is a 5-12V M61L or M61LL module that will work in a 2x18650 body and also accept 4x123. It would complement my existing modules greatly and have crazy runtime and also practical for a number of tasks.

Anything Malkoff makes is worth having. But don't sell your old modules just yet.

Casper507

Newly Enlightened
I would think there would be demand particularly for the flood version. As a matter of fact I wish I would have purchased one before they ran out. I would think the most demand would be for the M60W and M60WF vs. M30 because I really like the single 18650 or 17670 which decreases output over time instead of going out without warning. I would think the glass would get excessively hot using a frosted lens on the M61 to achieve flood. If Nailbender made drop ins that were neutral with flood optic that had the same drive options as Gene's I'd say that would be an option but most of Nailbenders stuff says no higher than 6 volts.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think there would be demand particularly for the flood version. As a matter of fact I wish I would have purchased one before they ran out. I would think the most demand would be for the M60W and M60WF vs. M30 because I really like the single 18650 or 17670 which decreases output over time instead of going out without warning. I would think the glass would get excessively hot using a frosted lens on the M61 to achieve flood. If Nailbender made drop ins that were neutral with flood optic that had the same drive options as Gene's I'd say that would be an option but most of Nailbenders stuff says no higher than 6 volts.

Frosting the glass will create no heat issues whatsoever. I would like a slightly warmer LED but using the current M61 reflector, so I voted no on the poll.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Frosting the glass will create no heat issues whatsoever. I would like a slightly warmer LED but using the current M61 reflector, so I voted no on the poll.

+1, no heat issues at all. Diminished output to some degree, maybe 10% but no heat issues. I will not be selling off my M60's, and an LDF lens will suffice for a diffused beam, if I want to do that, that or a SF beam shaper.

Bill

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. One of my main lights has a standard M60, but my favorite is the flood optic in a warm module. My warm drop in is a M60WLF. It is bright, but I wish I had bought a M60WF when they were available too.

I would think there would be demand particularly for the flood version. As a matter of fact I wish I would have purchased one before they ran out. I would think the most demand would be for the M60W and M60WF vs. M30 because I really like the single 18650 or 17670 which decreases output over time instead of going out without warning. ....

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Had to vote yes.

I've got one of Gene's M60W brass beauties. It's sad to think that none will ever be made.

prof student

Enlightened
1.) M61W's are neutral in tint, the former M60W's are true warm.
2.) M61's have a really nice beam, but it is a fixed beam with no choice. The M61 is neither a true thrower or flooder. The former M60's can be good throwers or awesome flooders depending on which optic. I am a fan of the gradually diminishing spill of the M60. You do not get this with the new reflectored M61.
3.) I personally dont think enough of the warm M60 modules were produced to supply demand.
4.) The M61 series is more of a compromise to give most everyone most of what they want, where the former modules can be tailored to your personal taste of beamshape and tint.

1) that is what I have been reading. That the new 61W's are not as warm as the original 60W's
2) is it because of the reflector? Will a difusor on the light itself create an "61WF" feel comparable the the 60F light?
3) Nor were any 60WLL ever created. Many members here always wondered if he was ever going to come out with them. I was one of them. I waited & waited. Had I known he wasn't going to, I would have bought one before they ran out
4) True. But do you think that the M61's, because of that, are selling better?

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) that is what I have been reading. That the new 61W's are not as warm as the original 60W's
2) is it because of the reflector? Will a difusor on the light itself create an "61WF" feel comparable the the 60F light?
3) Nor were any 60WLL ever created. Many members here always wondered if he was ever going to come out with them. I was one of them. I waited & waited. Had I known he wasn't going to, I would have bought one before they ran out

2. It's because of the availability of cree XP-G color bins, going by other companies offering neutral and warm tints, the most common neutral tint being made is in the 4c, whereas the old M60W's used the Q2-Q3, 5A. Looking at the cree color chart my guess as to why there's such a disparity between observed output is due to the side of the black-body line these two tints lie on. I like to think of it as the "green" side and the "pink" side. 5A having more red content, and 4C having more green. Observe:

CreeXR-ENeutral-WarmWhite.jpg

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im sad too, that's the reason for this thread!

Had to vote yes.

I've got one of Gene's M60W brass beauties. It's sad to think that none will ever be made.

1. The reflector is the reason for the difference in the beam.
2. There are several diffuser options if one choose to do so.
3. The supply of warm drop in's has always frustrated me too. Just about every time that my funds were available, Out of stock, Out of stock, Out of stock on the website.
4. It is a possibility. There popularity is largely due to the Malkoff brand and improved performance with the XPG.

I like the 5A tint, maybe they will make XPG's near this tint range in the future.

2. It's because of the availability of cree XP-G color bins, going by other companies offering neutral and warm tints, the most common neutral tint being made is in the 4c, whereas the old M60W's used the Q2-Q3, 5A. Looking at the cree color chart my guess as to why there's such a disparity between observed output is due to the side of the black-body line these two tints lie on. I like to think of it as the "green" side and the "pink" side. 5A having more red content, and 4C having more green. Observe:

CreeXR-ENeutral-WarmWhite.jpg

tolkaze

Enlightened
I never got one of the warm ones, but I do remember someone here a while back getting gene to custom make a M60WLL, or at least was going to. I would have probably liked a M60WLF but I ended up getting a second hand Warm MCE instead, on low, that thing was awesome. Just didn't have room in the rotation for it, so it went back to its previous owner before being shuffled off again. One seriously travelled unit!