• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FEELER: Fenix Light For The Wife, Pink, Other Duracoat Colors Too

robthefishguy

Newly Enlightened
This is just to put out a feeler to see how many, if any, would be interested in a really nice Fenix light - in PINK. Lights are brand spankin new, from an authorized dealer. This is a hobbyist venture, from real life flashlight addicts, keep in mind that nothing will be lightning fast but will be done with TLC.
He has been Duracoating his own lights for quite some time, and recently began selling these because of so many requests.

-Pink is certain, other Duracoat colors will be available if about 5 or more people are interested in any 1 color or pattern.

-Fenix torch of choice is avg. retail $
-Solid color is $5
-Pattern is $20
-Shipping CONUS approx. $10 or less

Solids:
duracoat_solid.jpg

Patterns:
Duracoat_pattern.jpg

Example in White:
TK40_w1.jpg

Please let me know if there are any questions...Forgive me if there are any typo's and such...And PM with any pricing/shipping questions. Somewhat new to posting, and I really hope I'm going about this properly.

Remember, this is just a feeler. If there is enough interest, we'll get this going for real, and have more info, pictures, etc...

stienke

Enlightened
Is this the same stuff as Ceracoat? , can this coating hold heavy use?
If so I'll like 2 Fenix PD30 R4 in Sniper green for hunting.
I live in Europe , can you tell me the shippingcosts?

Thank,

GJR

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think we need to destructively test 2 of the same model light; one with Cerakote, one with DuraCoat and compare.

Is this DuraCoat heat-cured?

Last edited:

donn_

Flashaholic
You need to be careful with the spelling. DuraCoat and DuraCote are two different products.

DuraCoat is a well-known firearm finish. It's tough paint. It doesn't have to be heat-cured, but can be, for quicker curing.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the correction, post edited.

I've seen people who favor DuraCote, and people who favor Cerakote, but I've never had the opportunity to see them side by side. When I went up to RIE Coatings (the only Cerakote provider in Minnesota AFAIK) they showed me a very high-dollar match rifle with Cerakote on it, which I thought was pretty sweet.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The RIE guy told me that the Cerakote and another non-HA electro-plating type of coating they use on Weatherby rifles were comparable to HA on an aluminum substrate. He said that while they might come off easier if scratched into the metal, the Cerakote/Weatherby coatings are less prone to flake off. I'll have to ask him if he can compare all three to DuraCoat. (Which I'm fairly certain that they also work with)

robthefishguy

Newly Enlightened
Is this the same stuff as Ceracoat? , can this coating hold heavy use?
If so I'll like 2 Fenix PD30 R4 in Sniper green for hunting.
I live in Europe , can you tell me the shippingcosts?

Thank,

GJR

some thoughts...
Duracoat is quite durable. Taking the belt clip on and off the LD20 is enough to scratch up Fenix's black finish but not duracoat.

Cerakote is an epoxy-ceramic coating that is harder to apply, more expensive, and available in less colours than the straight up epoxy resin Duracoat. Cerakote is a bit more wear resistant but will crack a lot easier than the much more flexible Duracoat. The flashlight will likely dent before Duracoat chips. Another difference (plus or minus depending) is that Duracoat can be removed by soaking for up to an hour in harder solvents like brakeen (break cleaner) while Cerakote is more resistant.

Shipping cost for Australia is about $30 (9 day shipping time only if customs don't hold it) so I'd expect any others outside of North America to be less than $30.

Nokoff

Enlightened
I would love to have a light in the bengal tiger look, like my Jetbeam...but I don't want a retail priced Fenix..any other options for lights people already own in the future?

robthefishguy

Newly Enlightened
I would love to have a light in the bengal tiger look, like my Jetbeam...but I don't want a retail priced Fenix..any other options for lights people already own in the future?

That is a possibility to explore. I can't say for certain, but if enough people are interested in a particular color or pattern then we may come up with something to accommodate. Obviously shipping back and forth could be costly for the lights owner, and pricing for the coating would be based on the light in question.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got back from RIE with my stealthed 6P. While I was there I talked to my guy about Duracoat. He says about the same as what is said here: that it's very durable and would work well for our purposes. He still gives the nod to Cerakote, but only a very slight nod.

I've also learned that neither will stick well to threads that have been previously lubed with Krytox, even after going over it with Acetone. :(

I'm really liking that urban mirage, I may need to have a light in that color. :D

Are the threads coated on the lights he's been doing? I'm going to run a second run of coating on threads to see if I get better results with a thread I've not greased with krytox, but I'm wondering what kind of success others have had with coated threads.

Last edited:

robthefishguy

Newly Enlightened
Just got back from RIE with my stealthed 6P. While I was there I talked to my guy about Duracoat. He says about the same as what is said here: that it's very durable and would work well for our purposes. He still gives the nod to Cerakote, but only a very slight nod.

I've also learned that neither will stick well to threads that have been previously lubed with Krytox, even after going over it with Acetone. :(

I'm really liking that urban mirage, I may need to have a light in that color. :D

Are the threads coated on the lights he's been doing? I'm going to run a second run of coating on threads to see if I get better results with a thread I've not greased with krytox, but I'm wondering what kind of success others have had with coated threads.

Threads are coated where previously ano'd, and seem to hold up quite well after proper cleaning. No experience with krytox in particular. Also, the threads being coated could be just an option item for this, but he typically does only apply to threads already colored.
Thanks for your posting/questions.