Finally decided on a JetBeam; thanks to all who gave advice.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all,

For the last couple of weeks I've been trying to decide on a new main EDC light.

As much as I love my Quarks, I've come to prefer throwers and neutral whites. I also wanted something that would have the most run time I could get in a small package.

Thanks to Selfbuilt, UnknownVT, and others here, I've finally figured out the perfect light for me.

JetBeam Jet-III Pro ST BVC Q3.

It will be my first JetBeam, as well as my first CR123 capable light (I've stuck with the AA form factor up until now).

I like the power and throw it seems to have, plus the run time I'll get from the 18650 compatibility. I'll be able to take from my pocket to the TwoFish block on my bikehelmet at will.

Thanks to all who provided advice and wisdom in helping me come to a decision.

PS: I'm planning on buying from Going Gear, can anyone pass along their current CPF code for me? Thanks again. :)

BarryG

Enlightened
I've got 2 Jetbeams and have been happy with both.
Code for bugoutgearusa.com is "cpfjet" for %20 off, is you want to compare prices.

Barry

Newly Enlightened
Great choice, I just got that same light 2 weeks ago and it is the one I grab when I head out at night.

I run the 2600 mAh 18650 flat top in it.

Get the 20% at BOG. :thumbsup:

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info guys. :)

I'll be ordering on Tuesday. I'm on my way to check Going Gear and Bug Out Gear and see who's got what.

Thanks again for the info and advice. :)

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps there is a misprint, but the BOG website says that the ST get's only a few more minutes run time at 240 lumens than the Pro-1 v3 gets with a 14500? Seems pretty inefficient.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I know. Which is why it's so weird. The Pro-I v3 gets 1.3 hrs at 240 lumens with a 14500. The Pro-III ST only gets 1.5 hrs at 240 lumens with a 18650. Either the ST is incredibly inefficient or the numbers are wrong.

CVClaus

Newly Enlightened
I think the numbers are wrong, it should get close to 3 hours at 240.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, that's what I seem to recall seeing from Selfbuilt's run time tests, three hours off an 18650. Since one of my primary uses will be on my bike helmet, I'm willing to carry a little extra weight for the run time, and the 5A tint will be perfect for night riding.

Edit: I've also recently read about the new 3000 mah cells, I think Trustfire is making them. They're supposed to be fully protected, so that should increase the run time. I'll order an AW high capacity one, and one of the new Trustfire ones; that way I can compare them and see how each does. Since this is going to mainly be a bike light for me, I want as much run time as I can get. And medium mode should be plenty bright enough for me for riding, which will increase my run time even more.

Regardless, I feel I've made the right decision to get this light, and thanks again for the input you all have provided. :)

Last edited:

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Placed the order last night with Bug Out Gear. Got order confirmation this morning and was told it should ship out in 24 hours. It will replace the Quark AA2 R2 I've been using on my bike helmet, although I'm sure I won't be able to resist EDC'ing it in messenger bag... :-D

Next on the agenda is to order a couple 18650's for it and a charger... I'll use CR123 primaries in it until then; just one more little bonus of the light... :)

The CPF code was a nice help, thanks everyone.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my new light yesterday... :D been playing with it a bit and think I got the settings where I want them; two low modes and full blast for use on my bike helmet. Can't wait for it to get dark so I can go outside and play with it a bit more. :)