TK12 R5 Wall Beamshots!Who likes Donuts!I rather the chocolate ones!

ieslei

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys! Here I am with my recent TK12 R5! Is bright, hve a good runtime 2h50mins TURBO on AW 18650 butttttt it has a delicous donut! Specially when you are far like 50 meters from the object. One of these days i was in the woods and saw an animal, at first i wasnt able to see it(center of the beam), so i was forced to move the light aroud in order to see the small animal.... That fact bothered me so much.... I had so much work to sell my flashlights to get the expensive one Tk12 r5 and look what happened. I`m a bit frustrated though... I sent an email to fenix suport and they said they are sorry and SOME of the flashlights hve the donut and some dont. How come a good company like fenix sell products that hve this much of a difference?:thinking:

Hope they get better in the future assembling XP-Gs with smooth reflectors!:poke:

Thanks a lot guys!
IMG_6347.jpg

IMG_6345.jpg

Both pictures taken using ISO50 Exposure -2 1/200 and the flashlight was about 1,2m from the wall. Sorry about my english...
:):wave:

Last edited:

Tally-ho

Banned
This issue has been reported in several threads on CPF, it's too bad for you to discover it tardily by your own.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/282249

Even with this donut hole, the center of the hotspot is enough bright to see clearly up to 30 meters. How far was the animal ?
Maybe you need something that throw a little bit more than an XP-G.R5, like an XR-E.R2.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Donuts in my flashlight beam irritates me to no end. Yours is extreme, send it back. I think the XRE R2 TK11 would be a better model for you for the throw and there should not be a donut.

ieslei

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody. Tally-ho i`ve read that post but in his picture the spot seems brighter than mine, so I didnt care much, but when i saw mine it was completly disappointing....:faint: I`m sad cause now i got to pay 20 dollars to send it back...wait 15 days until they receive it and then wait 15 days more to get my return...so i hve to wait a month! Does any body here like a donut hole or dont care about it just to cheer me up? uhauha:candle: The animal was about 60 meters away from me

thanks guys

Xak

Enlightened
Glad I am stuck with my 2 Olight M20 R2s. I felt bad when they came out with the M20 with XP-G, but when I heard the R2s still out threw them I was happy again. I have the XP-Gs in my key-chain light and a pen light and they are perfect for that application.

Only XP-G that seems to be an improvement in 2x123 size lights is the Maelstrom G5, probably because it was built from the ground up specifically for the XP-G? All the other brands seemed to have stuck an XP-G in a former XP-E light and modified the reflector slightly. Does anyone have former XP-E R2 lights and a newer XP-G version of that same light and prefer the older beam more?

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad I am stuck with my 2 Olight M20 R2s. I felt bad when they came out with the M20 with XP-G, but when I heard the R2s still out threw them I was happy again. I have the XP-Gs in my key-chain light and a pen light and they are perfect for that application.

Only XP-G that seems to be an improvement in 2x123 size lights is the Maelstrom G5, probably because it was built from the ground up specifically for the XP-G? All the other brands seemed to have stuck an XP-G in a former XP-E light and modified the reflector slightly. Does anyone have former XP-E R2 lights and a newer XP-G version of that same light and prefer the older beam more?
Stay on topic....

ieslei

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys! I received an email from fenix and i was told by them that the difference between the beam on the same flashlight is because of the emmiter that comes with some differences from each other...That`s what they told me...i don`t know...I still think that the reflector is not completly adapted to xpg emmiters....They said that some people dont care about the donut cause the brighter beam is what`s worth it.... I still dont know....:hairpull:

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
I have an XP-G R5 in a Dereelight P60 drop-in, in a 6P host. This has the the most beautiful beam I have ever seen but it does have a med. OP reflector and one that is
XP-G specific i.e. tiny window for the LED with no surrounding casement.

4SEVENS seems to be able to position the R5 in smooth reflectors correctly. My Turbo Q R5 is free of rings, donuts etc. I suspect the problems are simply sloppiness on the
part of some companies.

PerttiK

Enlightened
The problem is shallow and wide reflector with an xp-g.
Deree DBS has no problems with xp-g because the reflector is deep and relatively narrow in comparison to the depth.

And what's with all the lights pushing out now having xp-g and a smooth reflector, LOP doesn't do much harm to throw and makes the beam in my opinion much useful.

Last edited: