StreamLight TL2 LED 1W Resistored to 5W Regulated

jcciv

Newly Enlightened
I have a SureFire L4, then I bought a SLTL2LED. I wasn't really happy with the beam quality, and I like regulated lights a lot better than resistored lights so:

StreamLight Tactical Light 2 LED 1W Resistored to 5W Regulated Upgrade

This is how I modified my Streamlight Tactical Light 2 LED from a 1W Resistored LED to a 5W Regulated LED. Sorry for the long post. Click on any of the pictures for a larger version, if you want a full-size version, let me know. This is also available here:

SLTL2LED_mod

The first 3 pictures are different shots of the head of the light:

This is a shot of the stock 1W resistored LED unit:

This is a shot of the stock 1W resistored LED unit:

This is the bottom of the stock 1W resistored LED unit:

This is an "exploded view" of the stock 1W resistored LED unit:

This is an "exploded view" of the stock 1W resistored LED unit:

This is the new, improved 5W (V4UW) regulated (BB 750) LED unit:

In order, the modded SLTL2LED, a SureFire L4, and a Pelican M6 with a 5W V4U and BB 750:

Reflector size, in order: the modded SLTL2LED, a SureFire L4, and a Pelican M6 with a 5W V4U and BB 750:

5 foot beamshot, same order: the modded SLTL2LED, a SureFire L4, and a Pelican M6 with a 5W V4U and BB 750:

10 foot beamshot, same order: the modded SLTL2LED, a SureFire L4, and a Pelican M6 with a 5W V4U and BB 750:

Observations:
The BB 750 / V4U combination is brighter in both the M6 and the SLTL2 than my L4. The Pelican M6 has a better head and reflector, so it focuses the beam better than the SLTL2, but it is a bigger, heavier light, too. I really like the SLTL2 now that I have upgraded it, except I wish that it had a clickie tailswitch.

No run times or anything, maybe later.

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very, very cool!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I assume that there is a aluminum core inside the pedestal (its hard to tell in the pics). How hot does the lamp assembly run?

Dan

jcciv

Newly Enlightened
I did not want to break the pedestal, but I am fairly confident that the aluminum core runs all the way through. The entire body of the flashlight gets warm, and the heat from the LED seems to go more into the flashlight body than into the head, so I do not think that heat is a major issue, but I have not run the light all that long yet. I will try to leave it on over the weekend to get an idea about run time, but I am sure that it will be the same as any other BB 750 / V-rank Luxeon.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
jcciv,

Nice job! This was a mod that needed to be done and you've done it well! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Don

jtice

Flashaholic
jcciv...
Great work. Looks very professional.
I love how you setup the linked thumbnails also.

I tried to do that the other day, but couldnt get it to work. It kept displaying the pics URL. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

jcciv

Newly Enlightened
I had a chance to run this for about 20 minutes over the weekend. One nice thing about the light compared to the L4 and M6 is that this one will stand on it's tail.

Standing ot it's tail it lights up the room pretty well...a lot better than my CMG Bonfire, for example (admittedly for a far shorter time and at a MUCH higher expense in batteries).

When I picked up the light after 20 minutes the entire body of the light was pretty warm, so the heatsinking appears to be working pretty well. It cooled down pretty quickly once I picked it up.