Quark 123 regular will not turn on

lovenhim

Enlightened
Hello everyone. I did a search and did not find anything about this. I have a Quark 123 Regular UI. Sometimes the light will not turn on when the bezel is slightly loosened so I can use it in modes. I can tighten the bezel and it will run on hi. If I loosen it, the light may not turn on. This is the case with a primary or RCR123 in it. I have a DMM and a test light, so where and how do I start checking for problems? This would be my first flashlight diagnostic. :)

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello everyone. I did a search and did not find anything about this. I have a Quark 123 Regular UI. Sometimes the light will not turn on when the bezel is slightly loosened so I can use it in modes. I can tighten the bezel and it will run on hi. If I loosen it, the light may not turn on. This is the case with a primary or RCR123 in it. I have a DMM and a test light, so where and how do I start checking for problems? This would be my first flashlight diagnostic. :)

Start with a brief search. In short, a few things can need tweaking. The ring in the switch may need tightening, you may have overlubed it, or your batteries may even be nonstandard in size.

Turn it on in high, and slowly loosen it. What happens?

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like the switch may have worked loose in the tail or just needs a good cleaning. Inside the tail cap there are two holes in the switch retaining ring. I use pointed tweezers to unscrew this ring, clean all contacts with alcohol and deoxit and then reassemble. It sounds to like poor contact connection where it requires a certain amount of current before the contact passes current. JMO.

Good luck and let me know if this helped.

lovenhim

Enlightened
Start with a brief search. In short, a few things can need tweaking. The ring in the switch may need tightening, you may have overlubed it, or your batteries may even be nonstandard in size.

Turn it on in high, and slowly loosen it. What happens?

If the light is on hi and I loosen it, the light turns off and only runs on hi/strobe.
This is with a RCR123 cell in it. I just took a lint free cloth and wiped off the head of the light inside and some light, black goo came off of it and I put it back together. It seems to be working now. Strange, I have not done anything to the light other than put batteries in it. :) It was a used light I got from the list of Craig.

Last edited: