Ok guys, How do you make it STOP!?

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lately my light purchasing has gone all to hell. I "had" a self set monthly budget of around $100 but here a rough list of what I have aquired since late May/early June....

• Surefire E1B
  • Surefire 6P host (in route)
  • Surefire M3/M4
  • Lumens Factory EO-M3
  • Lumens Factory Seraph P7 3 mode
  • Quark Warm 123
  • Quark Mini123
  • Quark AA2 R5 Tac
  • Quark AA Neutral Q3
  • Wf-139 charger
  • 2-AW17670's
  • 1-AW16340
  • 1-AW18650
  • Thor's Holster for SR3
  • NovaTac Wichita
  • NovaTac Classic
  • EagleTac T10LC2
  • EagleTac PN20a(in route)​
Now granted a couple of these have moved on to new owners but still, How do I slow it down a notch or two?:eek:

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
I'll tell ya one thing, my flashlight purchasing slowed down majorly when I got into customs. For one, customs are way expensive, so they are no longer an impulse buy, but a heavily weighed decision. Secondly, I find them most satisfying, although I do like a good Surefire now and then.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just like Carrot said, going the custom route is a LOT more money and you do think about it more.

For instance, I've been trying to decide now for about 6 weeks what super bright led light to get (custom built) and even whether or not I should wait six months for some newer product to be available as this is going to be a $400-500 purchase.

I bought a new light (Fenix, Quark, Nitecore) every week for a couple of months earlier this year (ended up with 15 lights all basically the same), but the novelty wears off and you find yourself just wanting a couple of good lights. These lights are going to cost you, but you will have what you want.

Think about what you need, how much you're willing to spend to get it and focus soley on that objective. Everything else is just a distraction that takes time and money from where you really want to be.

PeaceOfMind

Enlightened
What helped me was to convince myself that I was not a flashlight collector, and was only buying flashlights that had a particular purpose. Now I try to only buy lights that fill some particular niche or need, or that will allow me to sell whatever was previously filling that need. This stops me from buying endless variants of the same type of light.

....and of course, we all need a few back-ups, right? :whistle:

Also, as you go through more and more lights, you'll realize more and more things that you either don't like about certain lights or that you HAVE to have in new lights, and this will limit your options a lot.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the sub $70 lights I have purchased in the past have been China lights.

The best way I have found to stop spending so much money on these cheapies is to buy a few better quality lights. After buying a Malkoff M61 and discovering the power and perfect beam, I have completely lost interest in my inferior lights!! :naughty:

I still use my Nitecore EX-10 if I want a smaller light for pocket carry now and then, but my Surefires, Surefire/Malkoff combos and Malkoff complete lights rule the roost around here these days!

James...:D

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a couple above have said...get into the custom light world...the price goes up and the purchases become further apart...I do like production light but customs are my favorite....

Track Terror

Newly Enlightened
Wow the OP just got some excellent advice from the veterans! The problem with most of us newbies is that we are enthralled with a whole new world that we didn't know existed and we feel like we need to jump in with both feet to get caught up.

In the end we end up spending way more money than neccesary and having way too many similiar lights. I think by spending a little time thinking and researching your purchases you will end up with a much better selection of lights while spending considerable less overal money.

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
slow yourself down? easy. Paypal whats left in your account to Carrot.

On a serious note, it could take awhile, it took me 4 years...its almost as bad as high school:whistle:
My advise is to stop buying lights and start using your lights. carry on you a pair of lights for a month then try another, you'll soon notice that some lights seem to better suit your needs. Take what you have, figure out what suits you by testing it out in the field, do not buy a new light because you think it suits you because it fits the needs of the other guy. Field testing doesn't mean your tagging it along like putting a leash on Buddy, Fido, or Spot and walk along the sidewalk. Take any combination of lights and commence your social life at night, go on camping or fishing trips, try out different parks and places with your lights. Get comfortable with the output, familiarize yourself with the UI.
As soon as you are familiar with your lights bu using them, you'll find yourself attached to one or another...by then the urge to buy something new will have weakened because it will force you to compare the new light with the light you've used and loved. Think to yourself: "if the new light is better, then I'm wrong about the light I've been using all this time, but I can't be wrong because of so and so events that proves I'm right about this light, if that is true then the new light is clearly less than the light I have, if so and you agree then there would be no point in buying the new light." Presto!

Of course in real life it would be difficult to attain such a logic so early in your journey. Whenever I see new light I ask myself these questions, my conscious then advises me with such answers.
Will I ever use those features?
If you use strobe 4 out of 10 events you don't need strobe, replace strobe with any special feature and in the course of your use with the current lights if it occurs only 40% of the time you don't need it
Is the battery compatible with your existing lights?
One of the biggest headaches about EDCing spare lights is to find out in the field [AKA outdoors, with friends, in front of the girl you've been trying to court for the last couple of years]that your main light isn't working, you carried cells for the main light but those cells doesn't fit in your backup light. It is in the best interest of anyone seeking to EDC [every day carry] lights to know precisely the runtime of the light they are carrying, as well as what batteries they use. preferrably the same kind. I've made it more simple, I carry three identical lights....thats New York reload for ya.
Its a limited edition custom
Forget it, you buy it and you're probably not going to use it...ever, and it'll sit there depreciating to its hearts content then when you finally decide to let it go the LED technology would have evolved so far ahead the only buyers would be diehard customs fans or those who appreciate its sentimental value or have some capability or access to capabilities to modify it down the road.
looks functional? yes, do you like the design? yes, can you afford it? Not without going on credit
Forget it, you'll need those credit dollars for more important stuff, don't spend it on something you've got a drawer full already. Same applies to socks.
but its on sale
Usually it means theres a factory overrun or a less than ideal demand incurred post-production.Besides, just about anything will go on sale when the economys bad, unfirtunately rubbers seem to sell real well when the economy's bad. A light does not become better just because its on sale, its on sale so it attracts your attention. Did you buy it? no? good, you've survived for another day.
Theres lots more where that come from, but I'm tired and I'll bet your tired of me as well.

Last edited:

red02

Enlightened
My new resolution is to spend no less than 140 on any single light. I waste way too much by buying something not reliable and not exactly what I'm looking for making compromises along the way which leave me wanting more. Lot more deliberation and decision making for a single light will result in less and more prudent purchases.

I think the quote was "you buy cheap, you buy twice".

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
My new resolution is to spend no less than 140 on any single light. I waste way too much by buying something not reliable and not exactly what I'm looking for making compromises along the way which leave me wanting more. Lot more deliberation and decision making for a single light will result in less and more prudent purchases.

I think the quote was "you buy cheap, you buy twice".
The problem is that there's tons of cheap lights (by your definition, sub-$140) that are quite good. The problem with that is that at a low price they become impulse buys and are at low prices that are easy to justify. At low costs of $50-60 per light, it's easy to make a couple dozen purchases over the course of the year. At the high cost of say, $500 for a really sweet custom that you've had your eye on... sometimes you can't even squeeze that purchase into the year. (For instance, I've been eyeing a new Haiku for over a year now.)

On the other hand, if you become spoiled by customs like I have, buying cheap lights is like getting half of a Jolly Rancher (one of my favorite candies)... yeah, awesome... but where's the other half???

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmmm im not addicted. Im replacing my crappy lights with decent ones, each having a purpose. Then I replace those with better ones. And on, and on. Im not addicted, im upgrading over time. :naughty:

Larbo

Enlightened
Stop....?? It will never stop :whistle:, there will be slow periods then theres months that will see 3 or more new torches, just enjoy. :D

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow the OP just got some excellent advice from the veterans! The problem with most of us newbies is that we are enthralled with a whole new world that we didn't know existed and we feel like we need to jump in with both feet to get caught up.

In the end we end up spending way more money than neccesary and having way too many similiar lights. I think by spending a little time thinking and researching your purchases you will end up with a much better selection of lights while spending considerable less overal money.
We've all been there.....I did the same thing when I first joined....then I found customs.....the one thing that has remained constant with me is the modded incan lights...just love them...for dog walking and camping etc..although my all time favorite light is the DEFT..which is LED...go figure...but a custom light never-the-less....

My advise for Think2x is to think 3 times...read more...
Here is some great reading on custom mags by LuxLuthor
Enjoy:thumbsup:

1anrm

Enlightened
Yeah you can make it stop. Start looking at knives :devil: I stopped at flashlights at around... 40 Now I have 15 knives :nana: and counting. lol.

red02

Enlightened
The problem is that there's tons of cheap lights (by your definition, sub-$140) that are quite good. The problem with that is that at a low price they become impulse buys and are at low prices that are easy to justify. At low costs of $50-60 per light, it's easy to make a couple dozen purchases over the course of the year. At the high cost of say, $500 for a really sweet custom that you've had your eye on... sometimes you can't even squeeze that purchase into the year. (For instance, I've been eyeing a new Haiku for over a year now.)

On the other hand, if you become spoiled by customs like I have, buying cheap lights is like getting half of a Jolly Rancher (one of my favorite candies)... yeah, awesome... but where's the other half???

Thats the other side of the coin. Also it becomes difficult to manage smaller niceties like lights that are going out of production or become discounted for one reason or another.

This isn't an inflexible mandate, just a rule of thumb for purchases to limit spending on something that isn't needed and won't get used. Besides I think that there is a sweet spot for lights like this. Quality enough to buy, but not too expensive to replace.

KenAnderson

Enlightened
...How do I slow it down a notch or two?:eek:

Think, I believe many of us get into a buying spree when what we are really looking for is the adventure of using the lights. It's good to have a quality light, even better to have more than 1, but it's great to use them and use em hard. Go exploring, find an adventure to use your lights for.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it just comes down to finding a light that suits you ideally. Once you find a light that you use about 1/2 the time, even though you've got 20 other lights, you'll find that you don't need as many other lights around.

Once I got my McLuxIII-PD I was able to cut down to about 4 lights. Of course, I still get my fix from modding 6-20 lights a month for other people, and I'm working on making my own customs....

Hmmm... now that I think about it, I realize I'm not really any less into new lights, I've just found some non-standard ways to get my fix. :devil: