Just Ordered My First Light

jf2oo6

Newly Enlightened
So I work the night shift working on aircraft, so I have always used flashlights. For the past year or so I have had a mini mag light led. It worked great the whole time, but I am very rough on this thing. It takes around 10 ft drops on the regular. Just the other day it took one drop too many, and stopped working.

So I was looking for something that had a good mix of flood and beam, could take a beating, used AA's as I get them for free at work, and had a decent battery life.

After some research on here I decided on the Fenix L2D CE Q5. I hope this light does everything I need it too. And I really hope it is durable as these things seem to fall out of my hand, or out of my cranial (helmet type thing) a lot when I work.

What do all you guys think?

chef4850

Enlightened
Fenix is a good brand and well recieved here on the forums. I do not have any first hand knowledge on the L2D but I have several other Fenix lights and the build quality is very good.

If you should be looking for a higher output 123A's are a step up from the AA and there are a few dealers that offer free batteries with lights that you purchase from them.

Hope this helps.

Chef

jf2oo6

Newly Enlightened
Well im hoping the AA will be enough output. If not I guess I will have to look into some other battery option lights.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the L2D and LD20 Q5 and from all the runtime charts I have seen the older L2D will run longer but the LD20 is brighter.

Personally I like the design of the LD20 better for the anti-roll lug and the knurling feels better to grip also it's brighter. Anything from the older P2D/P3D/L2D seems a better chance of getting a tint with some green in it, thats been my experience with the older Fenix models anyway but I guess results and opinions may vary.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first quality light was a Fenix L2D Premium Q5. I was so happy with it, I bought my dad one as well - He still has his and it is a great light. Excellent runtime, 180 lumens on turbo, 2AA batteries.

It is a little slippery in the hand though due to a lack of knurling - not sure if that will be a problem for you, I suggest you use the very good belt pouch they come with and the lanyard too.

Both Fenix L2Ds I bought had perfect, white tints with no blue or green so I was happy with that side of things too.

I think you will be happy camper with this model.

Enjoy,

James....:)

Rusty Joe

Newly Enlightened
A buddy at work in maintenance has the L2D and he loves the f*ck out of it. It gets a beating, too. Had a buddy (also in maintenance) who was given the axe, but he was even worse on it (same light). Worked fine till the end (of his employment). With Fenix quality, it's likely to be there for you.

Alternatively, if drops are that big of an issue, have you considered a helmet or cap-mounted?

Last edited:

jf2oo6

Newly Enlightened
A buddy at work in maintenance has the L2D and he loves the f*ck out of it. It gets a beating, too. Had a buddy (also in maintenance) who was given the axe, but he was even worse on it (same light). Worked fine till the end (of his employment). With Fenix quality, it's likely to be there for you.

Alternatively, if drops are that big of an issue, have you considered a helmet or cap-mounted?

I have not seen any kind of helmet or cap mount. Can you post a link please?

But yea lights are pretty important working in the maintenance department. One of my friend has a dorcy from target and that thing is bright as hell. Hopefully this one can either match or beat his. :grin2: