Looking for information about Sunwayled

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
A new brand of flashlight has hit the street...

May be some have noted that I have a preference for ring controlled flashlights. In my opinion, the control ring will become the standard for controlling the functions of advanced flashlights.

When, if we will ever see that day, the "advanced" flashlights will be commonly available at supermarket shelves, and not only on selected websites, they will all have a selector ring. The "Average Joe" will never deal with multiple clicks, timed presses, and fast head rotations, not to mention programmable lights.

I have noted that Sunwayled flashlights mostly uses a control ring in their flashlights. I'm very happy to see that a newly born flashlight company oriented toward a choice that, in my opinion, is the only sensible choice for advanced flashlights.

I am looking at their smaller models; namely, the M10R (single 123) and the M20C (two 123).
The first thing I noted is the fact they use R2 binned, XR-E LED. Outdated? Yes. Relatively low brightness, relatively high Vf and low efficiency LEDs.

I believe Sunwayled values throw above runtime and brightness. OK, I can survive to this.

Let's now see some other aspects. Consider the M10R. I read the specs from the website, I may want to buy one. Then, I stop to the voltage specification of the flashlight: 0.9 to 3.2 V. I check the suitable battery for it: CR123, no mention to rechargeable Li-Ion.

I have the JetBeam RRT-0, and the Nitecore IFE1: did I mention I am ring-haholic?
The RRT-0 is happy with every AA or CR123 of every chemistry, primary or rechargeable, I can place in it. The IFE1 will accept only CR123 sized batteries, but it will work with any voltage from 0.9 to 4.2 V.

Now, back to the M10R. Has any fellow CPF member bought one yet? Can you confirm it will work with Li-Ions?

If not, I may want not to consider buying it, as it would mean Sunwayled went for a futuristic interface, but for an outdated LED, which is still OK because of its throw, but I can't accept they used an outdated converter.

I apply the same reasoning to the M20C. I see in the voltage specification: 4 - 10 V. The specs says that the M20C is bored for a 18650 cell, but the voltage specs says differently. With the Vf of a R2 LED, an high efficiency buck converter will not keep regulation down to 3.3 V, you need a buck-boost converter.

Now, for who has already bought a M20C, does it stay in regulation, on high, until the 18650 is depleted, just like the Jetbeam RRT-2 does?

In any case, I'll stay tuned for reviews of the M10R and M20C.

Regards

Anthony

Last edited:

chef4850

Enlightened
The Sunway lights are a preorder as of now. i placed an order with BJ for the M10R and the original date was late July to early August.

I just checked the BJ site and now it states that the preorder is scheduled to be in late August.

There is a review of the M10R as well as a couple of other Sunway lights here on the forum. But no first hand knowledge.

Hope this helps.

Chef

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chef,

thank you - I didn't realise Selbuilt already released a review on this light.
I've gone thru its very good review, and this light, as he confirms, cannot take Li-Ions.
BTW, the Sunwayled line is already on sale here in Europe.

Regards

Anthony

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just saw their banner here on CPF. Appears very promising and it looks like they're heading in the same direction as SF with smoother designs and less knurling...

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also - be sure to check out the SUNWAYLED thread in the Mfr's forum on CPFMP - there's a special promo contest going on there.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's for real .... :cool:

2enpb0o.jpg

chef4850

Enlightened
Well arrived at work to get a shipping notice from BJ that my M10R has shipped and I should have in my hand in approx. three days.

I can not wait. Looks like a very interesting light!

Chef

chef4850

Enlightened
Well I recieved the M10R today. Here is are my impressions.

UI - Magnetic ring - Has a really great feel when changing levels. Positive indents which will keep the selector ring in place with little chance of switching levels by mistake. :thumbsup:

overall build - Nice fit and finish. Great anodizing with no blemishes. I personally really like the looks of the light. Seems very well though out. :thumbsup:

Switch - I like the feel of it. positive click however a little stiff to press. I did not have a problem with activation as stated in other threads. Recessed enough to allow for tail standing and using as candle. :twothumbs

Levels - Here is where I have an issue with the light. It seems to me like there was a good deal of thouhgt that went into this line of lights. Although the M10R is the only Sunway light that I have had the opportunity to see in person. The spacing of the levels are "different". I love the low mode. Just about right for navigating a dark house. Then there is a drastic jump to the medium mode and very little change in the medium and high modes although there is a noticable difference i think there should have been more though put into this aspect of the light. A lower medium mode would have worked out better IMHO. :thumbsdow

Beam - I believe this is an XR-E R2? Ringy beam to say the least and comparable to the Jetbeam line of light as mentioned in other threads. I do not know how this will come into play outside but the JB beams never really bothered me and I do not see this one being too noticable in real world use. Color is a cool white on medium and high and low is well a little low to make a difference at least to me.

Clip - I am not a fan of the "clip on" style clips. Although I will say that of any that I have used this one seems to be the most secure. For it's intended use I am sure it will keep the light secure. I personally would have like to see a "non anodized" clip instead of the black but overall it looks like it belongs on the light and not an after thought.

Emitter - Perfectly centered on my light.:thumbsup:

Overall I can see Sunway becomming a recognized brand on CPF. I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

Chef

veleno

Enlightened
I received the M20C.

My general impression are very positive, the quality seems high and I love the selector ring. However I have a couple of less positive notes:

- I hoped the "dark ring" due to the XR-E was less noticeable. It's a pity they didn't use an XP-G with a good OP reflector.
- the levels are well spaced, but the medium is a little low for my taste, I would prefer to have 50-60 lumens.

Anyway it's a good flashlight!

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
After two days I am not too happy with my M10R. :(

First of all the beam is too ringy for a small EDC light where throw is not the main feature.
Secondly while the control ring action is very good the strobe is too easily accessible and you end up with it quite often.
Third issue is the levels. As chef4850 says there's too much difference between low and med and in total darkness the switching is startling to say the least.

Apart from the above the light appears to be well made but IMHO some choices made by the manufacturer are not in line with the purpose of a small pocket light. :shakehead

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
the above the light appears to be well made
Excellent
but IMHO some choices made by the manufacturer are not in line with the purpose of a small pocket light. :shakehead
I hear yeah, odds are you'd find the control ring et al more meaningful in a +500 lumen field light

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Hmmm, sorry to hear that folks are finding their XR-E R2 lights (M10R, M20C) too ringy. My samples were actually fairly good for this emitter (relative to most I have tested with it). But I agree, definitely would be better with XP-G R5s in there.

BTW, my review of the 500 lumen M40A (4xAA MC-E) is now up.

soloxx

Newly Enlightened
Any info on the 'new Sunwayman 800 lumen M30 and M60? I see them at their website, but nowhere else.

New here, so hello!

soloxx

Dual

Newly Enlightened
I purchased one of their "Falshlight" a couple of weeks ago.
Very well made and works as it should. I like it alot.

M401.jpg

spydercosunwayled.jpg

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have bought a M10R in the meantime.
The light is of excellent manufacture. The beam is acceptable in my opinion. The magnetic ring works as it was supposed to, with a clean and precise action, and doesn't rotate by itself easily.
THe M10R doesn't work properly with a Li-Ion, but I knew it beforehand. I bought it to replace a iTP A1 EOS which I have permanently in my carry bag: the A1, being seldom used, develops some oxide (or displace some grease) in the electric contact area, and when you need it suddendly after a long time in the bag, it starts switching crazily between modes. Therefore, I thought a M10R -with its highly stable magnetic control ring - would have fit the bill magnificently.
Well.
I can withstand the fact that the magnetic ring works the opposite way of all other flashlights I have (basically, ALL of them), even if I keep wondering why.
What I cannot take, is the brightness level selection. The low is too low, it is ok with dark adapted eyes, but not for "survival" long runtime. The medium is too high, and on short distances is undistinguishable from maximum.
The strobe, I don't use it.

So the M10R goes from my carry bag to the light shelf.

"Follow the crowd if you don't want to go wrong" has never been more true in the case of the new class of magnetic ring controlled light. Why Sunwayled decided to make the ring work the opposite way of the majority of other magnetic controlled lights?
Why they went for such odd selection of brightness levels? While there are no written standards, there are well established criteria for selections.

Regards

Anthony

Dadof6

Enlightened
I bought the M10R and the L10A. I have to say that my feelins on the M10R mirror what the others say. I thought it was going to be a lot better than it was. Too ringy, mid level and high level too similar to the naked eye.

However, I love my L10A. It feels great in the hand, and it puts out great light for an AA light. I wish the clip were tight against the head when the body screws in but it is a little wobbly, but that is my only real problem. Overall, a great little light.

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
I purchased one of their "Falshlight" a couple of weeks ago....

Too funny! I dug out my box for my M20C and it is indeed a "Falshlight" as well. I cant believe I didn't catch that upon opening! As long as it only says it on the box and not the light, Im cool with it!

Looks good with your nice Spydie there too.:thumbsup:

Overall, I am pretty happy with it. The selector ring is cool but I have kinda gotten over it already with my RRT-0. When I reach for something in 18650, I usually have been grabbing my Jet III M before the M20C however...