Found a flashlight in my lawn mower...

Razorhog

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,
I recently got a used lawn mower, given to me by my step father. It is a zero turn radius. Last week, when I was mowing a straight line towards the curb/street, all of a sudden I couldn't pull back on the right steering control - it was stuck. So when I tried to pull back, only the left control moved, which made me take a left turn and into the street (not a busy street, no worries). I had to go full-bore and straight for a bit and finally turned off the key.
Upon inspection, I found the problem - A SureFire flashlight had lodged in the right steering control, preventing me from pulling back on the handle.
I knew my step father liked good flashlights, and sure enough he had lost one a while back (year or two?). The bad news is that only the barrel is present, the bulb/lens part is gone.
My question is this: Is this part worth salvaging and putting new parts on to make a decent flashlight? I think it is a SureFire G2 Nitrolon. I'm not crazy about it using 123a batteries, but if I could repair it for a reasonable cost, it might be worth it. Thoughts?

4850633487_540da9bab8.jpg

horizonseeker

Enlightened
plenty of aftermarket parts will fit the body if you don't have to stick to surefire parts. Solarforce makes bezels that will fit, also any P60 will work in it (assuming minimal damage).

cost will be very reasonable at the marketplace.

nbp

Flashaholic
You could probably get a brand new G2 (with all the parts, haha) on the marketplace for around $30. Or you could take the opportunity to put an aluminum head on it and throw a higher powered LED module in it rather than the stock incandescent module (more expensive option, but a worthwhile endeavor if you like the nitrolon body but want a more versatile and efficient light). Or you can toss the body and tailcap and spend some time here reading up on the zillions of awesome lights available and get something completely different. Or you can do the CPF way and get both. :devil: Lots of options!
:welcome:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Lots of things you can do with that. Seems the barrel or body of the light isn't all you have. Looks like the tailcap is still attached as well. Easiest thing to do is visit Lighthound.com and get a Solarforce bezel. (If the scallops are too aggressive for you, get a lower-profile bezel ring to replace the teeth.) Then just get the appropriate Solarforce LED drop-in, or possibly a Lumens Factory inca. lamp. Pop in a fresh set of cells, and you're good to go. Lighthound sells all the items mentioned above. Should be very easy to salvage that G2.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get a Surefire Z44 head on CPFMP for around $18.

The Solarforce heads fit the G2 fine, but the drop-ins don't seat as well as they do with the Z44.
I have found with my G2 and drop-ins that the drop-in rattles when batteries are not installed when using the Solarforce head.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
I think your stepfather will get a real kick out of hearing that story. I also think it's worth salvaging. There is just something cool about having a light with character and a story to go with it.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why is it that I never ever find any flashlights in my lawnmower? :thumbsdow

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I think your stepfather will get a real kick out of hearing that story. I also think it's worth salvaging. There is just something cool about having a light with character and a story to go with it.
Beat me to it! I was going to say that since you know the person whose light it was and it's a decent quality light to begin with, repair it, use it and treasure it as a family heirloom that came with the lawnmower your step father gave you.

And by the way, I like the idea of finding a used head for it in the Marketplace too - return it to what it was when he used it.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Wow! Neat story. I agree that you should salvage it. As Carrot said, it has character.

Now I'm going to open up my flashlights to see if a lawn mower falls out! :laughing:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are not into modding and dropins, you could always get the latest Surefire KX4 LED conversion head for the G2 but first check to make sure that the threading on the G2 body is still intact. No point getting a bezel when you can't screw it onto the body of the G2.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could put the Surefire lifetime warranty to the test. :naughty:

watt4

Enlightened
the best use of that is to repair it , using as much of the original as possible, and GIFT IT to the stepfather. he might get an extra kick out of getting his lost light back unexpectedly.

if it's easy, you could make it an LED

carrot

Flashaholic
If you are not into modding and dropins, you could always get the latest Surefire KX4 LED conversion head for the G2 but first check to make sure that the threading on the G2 body is still intact. No point getting a bezel when you can't screw it onto the body of the G2.
+1 a good choice.

Razorhog

Newly Enlightened
Lots of great suggestions, thanks! I'm pretty sure he would want me to use the light after fixing it up - he is very giving and already bought a replacement G2.
The threads all look like they are in fine condition. The tailcap screws on and off easily, and still looks like the o ring still has a bit of lube.
I am interested in making it an LED, but the wife wouldn't be so keen on me spending $52 on the KX4 conversion head.
So I'm thinking the Z44 bezel, and a drop in. Question is, which drop in? I'm a little overwhelmed at all the choices - from bezels, to dropins, tailcaps, buttons, etc etc. This place is pretty cool! Dangerous though, I don't have the money for another hobby!
Any suggestions on the dropin would be very appreciated. Thanks!