Streamlight TL-3 5W Luxeon -- Light Meter Readings

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
859 lux @ one meter. Knock-your-socks-off brilliant white beam. All I had time for right now -- stay tuned...

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I LIKE mine. Not as focused (tight) beam as the TL-2 LED, but gives a large flood of light, while still a nice hot spot. Seems to be a lot more focused beam that the SF L4, while still having an adjustable focus for the ever useful flood.

Jason Burns

Newly Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
I am finally free (home from work, tucked the Kid into bed), but I too am quite tired (it's a little past 1 a.m. and I also work again tomorrow)! So....more tomorrow. Night. Sorry...

arioch

Enlightened
Charlie;

I just got your SNII in the mail when I got home tonight. The first beamshot comparison I made was with ... my SL TL3led! It wasn't even close. Your SNII blew the TL3 out of the water, shredded it into slivers, toasted it over an open fire, chewed it up, digested it ... well, you get the idea. The SNII was brighter by several magnitudes, and had a super bright hotspot versus the TL3's medium sized hotspot. The TL3 is a decent light, but the SNII is AMAZING!

JohnK;

Having read several posts by you concerning the hotspot of the TL2 vs the TL3, I was wondering; does the TL2 with the sharper hotspot seem brighter in use than TL3(I am referring specifically to the hotspot area, and not the spill zone). I ask because based largely on your postings, I have become somewhat tempted to buy a TL2led if it is brighter or as bright as the TL3led.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say to my crude eyeballs, the central hot spot of the two is about equal. Do not take this to mean that the TL-3 is dim or anything, the lumens are there, just a larger hot spot.

I would NOT be surprised if individual examples of the TL-3 might focus a bit tighter than mine.

I know you don't seem interested in the "spill", but the TL-3 sure as heck has a brighter one. Both have about an 80 degree "spill" which I find very useful. In comparison, my 4AA Xenon Propolymer has a tightly focused beam with absolutely NO spill. You would break your neck walking through the woods with it, unless you moved the beam around.

arioch

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
JohnK said:

In comparison, my 4AA Xenon Propolymer has a tightly focused beam with absolutely NO spill. You would break your neck walking through the woods with it, unless you moved the beam around.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with your assessment about "super tight" beams with no spill. I used to search for lights with no spill and "laser beam" like sharpness. Then I found the Pelican "xenon laser spot" series of lights. From this I discovered that there is such a thing as too sharp a beam. Nice to light up a small spot a looong distance away, but not useful for much else. However, what I still want is that relatively sharp beam (maybe 10-30 degrees?) that is functionally useful in the field.

I have no problem with spill on a light, but I do want a super bright, center hotspot. That is key for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
arioch- The TL-2 beam is essentially the same size as the aforementioned 4AA Propolymer Xenon beam. So it is a tight beam, just more peripheral spill as I said before. Both are a LOT less than 30 degrees, perhaps 10-15 degrees.

Latest posts