Novatac 120 or Ra clicky?

Cole07

Enlightened
I want to replace my EDC light which is currently an iTP A3. I am torn between these two. I want one made in USA and they both are (new Novatac models aren't though (storm, special ops, classic)). The Novatac will cost me about the same as the HDS. The HDS does have more personalization though, beam patterns, output, bezel color/material. If I was going to get an HDS I would want a custom one with 140 Narrow beam (would go 170 but its +$40!!) tactical style turn-on, flush button for pocket carry, standard SS bezel with crenellations, and regular glass lens. Novatac I would go with the 120P so its programmable. I want to be able to trust this light too. Which one is more durable? What would you guys do?

tolkaze

Enlightened
The HDS EDC is like a more hardcore, updated version of the Novatac. All Novatacs are essentially the same, The 120M, 120P, 120E are all the same (when cracked) and the newer models are all the same but cheaper again.

The HDS is also programmable, customisable, and definately a favourite amongst this forum.

If I had my choice again, I would have gone the Ra Clicky (now the HDS EDC)

Jeff S.

Newly Enlightened
From this thread:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3462852

DarwinsDead,

Contact customer support about a remote switch for a HDS Systems (Ra) flashlight.

Here is a quick comparison of the two different brands:

* HDS Systems: constant power electronics, flat regulation, stable light levels. Novatac: constant current electronics, many comments about flickering on the low settings.

* HDS Systems: armored and padded stainless steel bezel fully protects scratch resistant ultraclear glass lens without fear of breaking, sapphire optional. Novatac: stainless steel insert bezel, scratch-prone plastic lens.

* HDS Systems: smooth battery case interior - no battery damage when dropped, unique dampened dual spring contact system that prevents damage to either end of the battery and maintains electrical contact even with severe impacts, attached well protected signal wire. Novatac: spring-lined battery compartment can damage battery in impact, spring signal wire has many signal failure modes and can fall out, (older design: ) dimpled plate positive contact, conical spring negative, rubber spring negative generates high forces - roughly 20 pounds pressure, battery can still move off positive contact and cause reset.

* HDS Systems: lightly loaded heavy duty threads - no significant thread wear. Novatac: (older design: ) heavily loaded thin threads - thread failure around 200 battery changes.

* HDS Systems: sealed switch with gold plated contacts for higher reliability. Novatac: dome switch on circuit board, not sealed.

* HDS Systems: runtime on High setting: 1.25 hours typical. Novatac: runtime on High setting: 30 minutes.

* HDS Systems: many output options including IR, 100, 120, 140 and 170 lumens, high CRI, different beam patterns. Novatac: 85 and 120 lumens, one beam pattern.

* HDS Systems: fully automatic rechargeable battery detection and protection. Novatac: manual rechargeable battery detection - Battery Detect Reset.

* HDS Systems: numerous improvements to the user interface, both the Option and Brightness menus work the same so less to learn, all lights can be customized. Novatac: Option/brightness menus work differently, P models customization on, E and T model customization off - requires 250 click back door.

* HDS Systems: no retaining rings to come loose and cause bad connections. Novatac: retain rings can come loose and cause bad connection, company video on how to use ballpoint pen to retighten.

There are more items, but you probably get the idea.

Henry.

Cole07

Enlightened
Sorry, but been there seen that. I want to know what you guys would buy. I am pretty torn as they are both great lights. And I like the polycarbonate lens on the Novatac. Less likely to shatter and more durable albeit not as scratch resistant, and hardly any less transmission light from what I've read. That is another thing I'm considering.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the NovaTac Wichita during the special offer and sent off for a Classic. I mostly bought for price and was thinking of keeping one and selling one to help offset the cost. I got the Wichita just under three weeks ago and my Classic was in the mail Saturday when I got home. I did the 250 click trick on both of them and really like the UI the best of all my lights I believe.

If I were paying roughly the same price, I would go with the RA clicky over the NovaTac but that's because I want a high CRI.

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, but been there seen that. I want to know what you guys would buy. I am pretty torn as they are both great lights. And I like the polycarbonate lens on the Novatac. Less likely to shatter and more durable albeit not as scratch resistant, and hardly any less transmission light from what I've read. That is another thing I'm considering.

:thinking:

The Novatac is a good light. The Ra/HDS corrected all the *mistakes* in that model and now we have the Clicky. Personally, I would rather have the Clicky simply for it's sheer versatility and reliability. If you decide on buying a '98 Corvette then by all means go for it. I just rather have the '10 model myself:D. YMMV.

:). Also, you do know the CPF saying don't you??;)

Cole07

Enlightened
:thinking:

The Novatac is a good light. The Ra/HDS corrected all the *mistakes* in that model and now we have the Clicky. Personally, I would rather have the Clicky simply for it's sheer versatility and reliability. If you decide on buying a '98 Corvette then by all means go for it. I just rather have the '10 model myself:D. YMMV.

:). Also, you do know the CPF saying don't you??;)
Yes yes I know just buy both but I just don't have the money. I'm broke. :broke::shrug:

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to know which one these guys would buy, you should check out this thread: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/279454.

Darwinsdead

Newly Enlightened
@Jeff S. Thank you!:popcorn:

I think what Jeff S. reposted pretty much sums up any of my "which/why would I buy" questions...

Novatac might be cheaper but there is a reason they are cheaper.

Last edited:

Cole07

Enlightened
If you want to know which one these guys would buy, you should check out this thread: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/279454.
Wow, that about seals the deal. Glad I own a Surefire cause its the highest rated manufacturer. :party: I didn't even see a Novatac on the lists at all. I think I'll end up with my hybrid HDS Clicky Executive/Tactical. Can I get any discounts from HDS for being a CPF member?

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that about seals the deal. Glad I own a Surefire cause its the highest rated manufacturer. :party: I didn't even see a Novatac on the lists at all. I think I'll end up with my hybrid HDS Clicky Executive/Tactical. Can I get any discounts from HDS for being a CPF member?

Glad it was helpful. Actually, there were 3 votes for the NovaTac 120P - one of which was mine. However, it will be down to 2 votes since I will have to recall my vote for the 120P as it's going up for sale...:ohgeez:Between my HDS high CRI Clicky and high CRI Twisty, neither of my NovaTacs ever get touched. Both will be going up...

fyrstormer

Banned
Ra Clicky, hands down. I've had both and the Ra Clicky's design is much more refined than the NovaTac at this point. NovaTac has basically done nothing to update their design since they first came out with it, and it shows. The ONLY complaint I have about the Ra Clicky is the stock clip is clunky, but Moddoo is fixing that problem one (very small) batch at a time.

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ra Clicky, hands down. I've had both and the Ra Clicky's design is much more refined than the NovaTac at this point. NovaTac has basically done nothing to update their design since they first came out with it, and it shows. The ONLY complaint I have about the Ra Clicky is the stock clip is clunky, but Moddoo is fixing that problem one (very small) batch at a time.

I actually love the new stock HDS bezel down clip (non-screw version). It is small, out of the way during use, and works perfectly for me.

Jeff S.

Newly Enlightened

For what it's worth, the design of the Ra Clicky protects the lens much better: not only with the steel bezel, but the thick glass lens is surrounded by rubber o-rings. I no longer have my Novatac 120T, but it was a really nice light. I bought it because it was brighter than my HDS Systems EDC60GT, plus it has a protruding button. Novatac is a good light, as it's in the same family of design as the HDS Systems (all designed by HDS), but the current offerings by HDS Systems completely outperform Novatac.

It seems to me that the Ra Clicky is more preferred on candlepowers, and my post (Henry's quote) was an illustration of why. It's not just because it's newer; it's because it's better.

prime77

Enlightened
This is a post I put together to answer the same question a member had on another forum. Maybe of some help. Maybe not.

018-6.jpg

027-6.jpg

The NovaTac is smaller than the Clicky and features a bezel down pocket clip. While the Clicky has it's black factory clip installed. It's bezel up and rides deep in the pocket. Much has been discussed about this clip and can be found in numerous threads. Fortunately, if you don't like this clip there are many custom clips available here on CPF.

037-3.jpg

Both the Novatac and the Executive Clicky utilize the same LED and have very similar beams that have a have a nice hotspot that transitions to spill really well with no rings in the beam. Both lights have a stainless steal bezel to protect it against falls. The Clickys bezel is bigger and incorporates itself into the body of the light.

047-3.jpg

057-4.jpg

Here's some shots of the light taken apart. You can see that the tailcap of the NovaTac can be removed from the body of the light while the tailcap of the Clicky is pressed fit to the body and battery tube. Some other differences to note between the two lights is the use of a spring on the NovaTac to send the signal from the tailcap to the head. While the Clicky has a signal wire incorporated into the body of the light. One other difference that has been disused in many threads is the beefier threads the Clicky is built with.

Here are some beamshots taken using the highest levels of both lights. Something to note here is that the Clicky has a higher level than the Novatac called a burst level where the light will shine 141 lumens for 10 seconds then drop down a level to 100 lumens. While the highest level setting on the Novatac is 120 lumens.

001-3.jpg

005-8.jpg

001-3.jpg

009-6.jpg

Both lights are built like tanks and will handle tons of abuse. Choosing which light isn't easy so I hope this will help somebody new to both these lights make a decision.

118.jpg

The tactical clickies have a tighter beam because of the Golden Dragon emitter. This is the EDC Tactical which has one less level than the 140C but makes up for the less lumens with more throw.
007-7.jpg

012-7.jpg

I knew that the GD was small but seeing in person you really see how small it is.
055-1.jpg

Some beamshots of the 140C, NT, and EDC T.
082-1.jpg

085.jpg

077-2.jpg

[/quote]

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found the greater length of my Ra as opposed to my older HDS EDC B42 made it alot more comfortable for my thumb to use the tail switch. Also, the Ra's provide greater output, and much better runtime than the Nova's, which if you use only primary cells, like I do, can mean alot of savings very quickly.

Also, the newer bezel down pocket clip is very nice. It doesn't allow for deep pocket carry, but is very secure, without being overly difficult to clip to your pocket.