The Sleeping Plant...

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, my dad talked about this all the time - there's billions of them in Vietnam - dunno any more info about them...

Dan

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they're pretty common here around Asia... In M'sia its otherwise known as the 'shy plant' (direct translation from Malay language - known as 'pokok semalu'), they have thorns on the branches as well, for self protection. It sorta 'closes up' when touched, and will slowly expand itself again after a few minutes... pretty cool plant!

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grown one?
Hmm, i never thought of that. they are so many of them in South east Asia that no one would ever gave much thought of them. But i like them and i think they are cute. There was also a legend about them.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Mimosa pudica is the right name. You can also get it by the name "sensitive plant". It will produce these ball-shaped fluffy pink flowers in July & August (and maybe even September) if you give it sun.

I had a couple of these plants in 5" pots before I went away last year, but they croaked before I got home and somebody threw the pots away, so I don't have them anymore. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif
And since the Molbak's down the street closed, I probably can't get any more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

As I understand, these grow wild and are considered a weed in Hawaii. Probably the thorns on their stems. :/

E2E4ME

Newly Enlightened
I spent some years in Mississippi as a kid, and we had mimosa plants their. I was in Port Gibson, and this was around 1982. I'm sure they are not indigenous to the area, but this was deep in some woods, so I doubt they were planted by a gardener!

jtice

Flashaholic
I saw these in a flower store one time as a kid.
Wish I could find one now actually, it would make a great addition to my little plant collection.

BTW,, the last few vids that have been posted here I cant play.
Whish is odd, I can ussually play ANY codex. I have tons of them.
Can someone help me out.?
Thanks

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jtice, they have these seeds for sale on ebay for around $3 shipped. I am kind of confused though, they have Mimosa Trees as well? I want to get the seeds but don't want to wait for a tree to grow.

DrGwat

Newly Enlightened
There are several different types of Mimosa. You are probably referring to Mimosa pudica...
http://www.bio.miami.edu/mimosa/mimosa.html

I teach horticulture to middle schoolers. This plant is one of my best teaching tools. However, in the right tropical conditions, it can become invasive. I try to keep it in a container here in south Florida. And since it's a prolific producer of seeds, I'll be happy to send you some. Germinates easily in a couple weeks. Just drop me an email with address.

There are several different species of Mimosa... ground covers, shrubs, and trees. Pudica isn't the only one with sensitive foliage, but perhaps the best example... and fastest to grow.

David
http://teacherweb.com/FL/mcintosh/gwatney/

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I sent a PM to DrGwat for some of these seeds. Let's see if I don't kill these or get whiteflies or something. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
(You can't get rid of whiteflies with a Q-tip dipped in alcohol like you would use for scale insect).

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
they're pretty common in singapore....you get sporadic patches of them in grassy areas. i used to love playing with them as a kid /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

UK Owl

Enlightened
Got some seeds for a mimose pudica plant for my daughter a few years ago.

They are easy to grow (a child can grow it!), but they do get to be quite big, too large for a 'houseplant'. They also have some very nasty thorns.

Watching the expression on peoples faces when she asked them to take a look at her plant and feel the leaves is unforgettable.

DrGwat

Newly Enlightened
Those who requested seeds should be receiving them any day now. I sent them out a couple days ago... with instructions.

d'mo

Enlightened
There are tons of these in the Philippines growing as weeds. On my last visit, my daughter, 3 and a half at the time, found a batch of them beside a quiet road side. She must have played with them for an hour.

From what I understand, they're in the same genus as the Venus fly trap.

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
DrGwat, I got my seeds! Thanks a lot for providing these to the CPF community! Now to plant these... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Dan