The best dog-walking LED?

Rusty Joe

Newly Enlightened
Let's face it...high-end leds are rather unnecessary when taken to our levels of consideration, so why not use every opportunity you took at buying the cheapies and find use for them?

I have found (as have we all) that the less you spend, the less you get--and so with the opposite. One lacking light I treated myself to this year - expanding the collection of lights I seldom ever use - is the Dorcy 200 lumen.

I bought the 160 lumen, which died due to a bad trigger mechanism. The folks at Dorcy replaced it free of charge. I get home and open the package, assuming they just replaced the 160'er. Nope. In the package was a brand new 200 lumen. I, of course, do the honorable thing of playing with it after slapping in those included, cheap batteries.

The beam: sloppy, more spill than throw, but bright, a touch brighter than a 6D mag (the Mag having fresh batteries).

The trigger mechanism: is a twisty, but sucks (even by twisty-lover standards). You can never adjust it to keeping the light from activating, and it activitates (flashes on) when you so much as drop it in your pocket. Never could get it to quit this without basically unscrewing the end piece, so it's no work light for police or security.

So, nightfall arrives. I take it out and play with it at work. As I said, great dog-walking light. That weird beam is so floody with a touch of good throw, making it easy to light up everything around you (think: yards and piles of poop your dog is prodding you to join him in the investigation of). The usable throw isn't going to make too many neighbors mad, and because of the cheap batteries it uses, you have (in my view) the perfect cheapy candidate for walking the dog.

Last edited:

Nokoff

Enlightened
some people like flood for reasons you mention, some like throw saying it helps to keep night vision.. proof is in the pudding, my wife stole my 500+ lumen dual xpg flood torch for dog walks and she isn't planning to return it.. we see a lot of poop on the sidewalks (lazy people) and we don't step in any