Anyone prefer a momentary-only tail switch?

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last week, I bought a $20 1xAA flashlight that uses a forward-clicky. Well, yesterday, the clicky stopped working; now the switch is strictly momentary ON. I was going to send the switch back to the CPF dealer to replace it. But I'm tempted to keep using my broken tailswitch, for two reasons:

1. It's guaranteed not to be left on when I slip it back into my pocket.
2. It's guaranteed not to go on, and stay on, in my pocket.

I'm not interested in a twisty, and in any case, I've had twisties go on in my pocket.

Is anyone else so worried about draining his pocket light by accident that he's grudgingly used a tailcap that was momentary only?

Last edited:

Nokoff

Enlightened
is your torch on, or off? you know how 'broken' things just start working again on their own, I wouldn't trust it.. similar thing happened to my romisen forward clicky, you never can tell when it'll cooperate or not

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Truth be told, it's the switch on my Romisen RC-G2 II. It's now normally OFF. The reverse-clicky from my SolarForce 2xAA will fit; but it makes the light about 12mm longer, and this light lives on my keyring.

Nokoff

Enlightened
same torch and version for me, though mine was fine for two months before acting up... I guess if you pay close sensory attention, you'll know if it's in the off or on position, but should you have to.. It could be off, yet in the ON position and come on in your pocket.. yours just went south quicker than mine.. mine will seem off, but then voila on.. I tried making adjustments to the clicky with my pliers, and used different thickness inserts in the tailcap to build it up a lttle, no luck..
I guess I should've asked for a new clicky months ago, but they're so cheap

red02

Enlightened
I'd send it back, even if I thought momentary only was good. The point is that the switch is doing something its not supposed to. Its partially broken, so its only a matter of time before its completely done.

Think about like this: If you had a battery bloat and it still worked would you still use it? Even if it fit into the light better?

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree with the above. You continue using a malfunctioning flashlight at your own risk.

jellydonut

Enlightened
I agree with the above posters on not trusting malfunctioning equipment.

As for a momentary-only tail clicky by design, I can see a use case for that. If I had a light mounted to a weapon, for instance, that is what I would want. You rarely want to keep your weapon light switched on at all.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is anyone else so worried about draining his pocket light by accident that he's grudgingly used a tailcap that was momentary only?

I love my Nitecore D10! When the head is loosened a little the tail switch becomes a momentary only switch, I haven't had the light drain the battery in my pocket yet. Of course I can also tighten the head and have a normal switch operation which is an option I wouldn't like to be without, it can tail-stand and be used to illuminate a room. I find it to be a very versatile light especially because its momentary mode makes it the best light I own for jeans pocket duty.

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you prefer other switches, grudgingly settling for a momentary just because of pocket drain is probably not going to be a very satisfying experience.

The momentary only function is ideal for lights that generally see uses of short duration - but there should also be a twisty available on the light in case longer duration is needed (unless the Flashaholic has one or more other lights handy for that purpose).

Of course, there's another reason to prefer the momentary only: they can be beautiful.

057-1.jpg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Momentary-only switches are as bulletproof reliable as you can get. Still best not to use a malfunctioning tailcap on a light that you EDC.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I dont think I would like that at all. I would prefer a twist on/off ONLY, with no momentary button for bomb-proofness. The Fenix E01 has proven to be very reliable. At one point Surefire had a 6P twist cap that had no momentary button... just a cap with a spring in it.

A Surefire designed LOTC is all I have needed to prevent accidental turn ons.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
True. But if you need to grab your light quickly, as well as switch it on one-handed; momentary is tough to beat.

OfficerCamp

Enlightened
I love my Nitecore D10! When the head is loosened a little the tail switch becomes a momentary only switch, I haven't had the light drain the battery in my pocket yet. Of course I can also tighten the head and have a normal switch operation which is an option I wouldn't like to be without, it can tail-stand and be used to illuminate a room. I find it to be a very versatile light especially because its momentary mode makes it the best light I own for jeans pocket duty.

D10 for the win! Still the best UI in the business for EDC. Also one of the best looking lights under $100.

Viking

Enlightened
I would say a momentary switch in most cases are the best choice , particularly for EDC.
It won't be turned constant on by accident , like a clicky very often will.
It's also more convenient in use for most circumstances.