Looking for the ultimate in throw

Hellbore

Enlightened
Hey guys, I have a little flashlight collection now, with at least a few lights that have a good combination of throw and spill, or some that are just floody.

What I DON'T have is a mega-thrower, something with laser-like focus and throw.

I would like to add something like this to my collection, preferably something that runs on RCR123 or 14500, or even better, 18650's.

If I want something like this to add to my collection, what sort of light should I be looking for? Would a light that uses a TIR lens be best? Or one of those big collimator lenses? Or reflector? What provides the narrowest, longest-throwing beam?

High overall output would be nice too, are there any SST-50 offerings for example that can compete throw-wise with the smaller emitters?

Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated! Remember, for this light I'm looking for maximum throw, and high output, in that order! It doesn't need to be a well-rounded light, I don't care about usable spill, etc :) Just throw!

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does it have to be in a small flashlight size? If not, I'd suggest an HID spotlight. When it comes to throw distance versus dollar spent, they're tough to beat as long as you can live with their larger size.

Hellbore

Enlightened
I wouldn't mind a larger light, like an HID. Any suggestions for a good one in terms of bang for buck?

I would eventually also like something smaller too though... Like something LED-based.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the throw I like brute lumens and reflector or TIR Optic.

Now if you can power a CBT-90. AKA. SSR-90 domeles from the Factory:hitit:

Here is the VARA2000 CBT-90 with what I predict will be 100k lux at 1m and 2000 plus lumen OTF.

VP2KST1.jpg

Copper Star and Copper heatsink......now thats what I like. Now; how do you fit this into a 6P size ligth?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aspherics will create lazer like throw, but alot of lumens are lost in the process. Most loose as much as 40% of the OTF lumens, but the DEFT uses a collimator too so thats cheating. :laughing:

BUT

Now SST-50's come without Domes from the Factory too. With copper dedicated stars and a good heatsink I can already see 60k plus lux at 1m.

Note: I got 56k lux with my SST-50 domeless and 800 OTF or so. So, I can only imagine a 1100 OTF CBT-50 would offer at least 60k lux and from a reflector to boot.

bigC

Hellbore

Enlightened
That DEFT looks sweet, what kind of emitter is that using???

Does it lose a lot of lumens like you were saying aspherics usually do, or does the collimator solve that?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does it lose a lot of lumens like you were saying aspherics usually do, or does the collimator solve that?

Collimator helps, but doesn't completely fix the problem.

In fact; I have a sphere where I can test the DEFT with Aspheric on. In the past when I tested it I only had the 10.5in Sphere and with no bezel it was 245 OTF.

bigC

HKJ

Flashaholic

The DEFT in my photo is using a XR-E R2 led, it can also be equipped with a MC-E led, but this has less throw.

You can also get other cheaper aspheric light, Dereelight has one (CL1H+Aspheric head), but it has less throw than DEFT. I have both DEFT and Dereelight included in this beamshot.

Edit:
The Dereelight is fun because it is P60 compatible, i.e. you can try many different emitters in it.

Last edited:

Hellbore

Enlightened
Can reflectors come even close to having as good of throw?

What are the longest-throwing reflector-based lights?

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight SR90 but it's big and quite expensive (~$450). A little over $100 you can buy Tiablo A10-G or Jetbeam RRT-1.

Hellbore

Enlightened
After a very rough 12 hours of Monday work I desperately needed to buy a light to get some instant gratification, so I swung by Wal-mart and grabbed a Stanley HID. I hope I got the right one! It says HID Spotlight and Stanley HID 3000.

It's pretty cool! I don't know if it's fully charged out of the box, but even with whatever charge it had in the battery, it was nice and bright in the parking lot, brighter I think than my headlights!

I can't wait to play with it in a dark area, maybe a big field or park or something :D

I have a feeling this new toy is going to get some Ooh's and Aah's from the kids at the next campout!

P.S. - the LED's on top don't appear to work! I'll make sure the battery is charged up and try again, and if they still don't work, maybe I'll have to exchange it... Unless I'm doing something wrong? LOL... Not that the LED's are a big deal...

EDIT: Ooops gotta be careful or this will be off-topic for the LED flashlight forum! :) Don't worry though, it's not off-topic... I still want an LED thrower! Any great SST-50 throwers out there, perhaps using asphericals?

Last edited:

07gttom

Newly Enlightened
get the olight sr91. thing is awesome, but will cost ya 400 bills. 3 hour run time on high, 10+ on low

GeeS11XaaR

Newly Enlightened
I have a SF with a nailbender SS50 (whatever its called) and this is real nice thrower. I also have another SST50 but forget what that is now (Its less throwy than the nailbender)
However none of these beat my old DX thrower on either 2x18650 pr 2x18500

SKU 3356

If anyone has anything to add re LED size and throw that would kill the DX PLEASE let me know too ;)
Col

Edit. The 'other SST50 light I mentioned is a Xtar TZ50, altho to be fair the Nailbender drop in (and the DX) have SMO while the Xtar is a std OP reflector.

Last edited:

stallion2

Enlightened
I have a feeling this new toy is going to get some Ooh's and Aah's from the kids at the next campout!

P.S. - the LED's on top don't appear to work! I'll make sure the battery is charged up and try again, and if they still don't work, maybe I'll have to exchange it... Unless I'm doing something wrong? LOL... Not that the LED's are a big deal...

EDIT: Ooops gotta be careful or this will be off-topic for the LED flashlight forum! :) Don't worry though, it's not off-topic... I still want an LED thrower! Any great SST-50 throwers out there, perhaps using asphericals?

i wasn't going to suggest this but after reading this post it might be a good choice, so here it is. take a look at Dereelight's DBS product line. i have my own Pelican case dedicated to Dereelight lights and components. i have enough to make three lights at any given moment but can probably make as many as 15-20 distinctly different lights out of a collection of parts which all fit in a single case about the size of a lunchbox. i did pickup a Nailbender SST-50 2.8A single mode a few months back and have been using it w/ a modded SMO originally designed for the DBS/ XP-G setup. it works awesome. very compact, runs on a single 18650 and has output that approximates my Thrunite Catapult but it the Cat still throws a little better.

-now, this is where it gets interesting. the DBS does have an aspheric attachment. it is capable of accepting any standard P60 style pill. i still use mine w/ an XR-E because the XR-E still offers the most throw. i have also used it w/ an MC-E, XP-G and SST-50. it seems to collect the MC-E's light pretty well but the beam is a little odd. the XP-G is virtually uselss in the aspheric. the SST-50 does rather well in it. it does a reasonable good job of collecting most of the SST's output and provides you w/ very large, square beam. its not as intense as using an XR-E but its still probably more useful than the XR-E in most applications.

there is also a thread that keeps popping up on here about the 'Flydragon Aspheric'...i think that was the name. it uses the SST-90 and had some pretty impressive beam shots.

GeeS11XaaR

Newly Enlightened
Aye. forgot to ment ion the Dereelight DBS. Ive heard good things bout these and will have to get one sorted out soonish I think.
The XRE is a good thrower you say? and they take the P60 drop ins (ie my sst50?)
I would be interested because never could make up my mind which setup to get it in.
Col

stallion2

Enlightened
Aye. forgot to ment ion the Dereelight DBS. Ive heard good things bout these and will have to get one sorted out soonish I think.
The XRE is a good thrower you say? and they take the P60 drop ins (ie my sst50?)
I would be interested because never could make up my mind which setup to get it in.
Col

my personal favorite is their MC-E setup. has pretty good range but not so much that an obvious dark spot forms in the middle like the Jetbeam MX-1. it WAS the best MC-E "long" range light i had seen until Surefire released the M3LT.

i don't think Dereelight is doing anything w/ the XR-E's now but any typical pill will work. my DBS/aspheric is using a single-mode XR-E i bought through DX. the XP-G version was a little disappointing so i modified mine to use the SST-50 but Dereelight has their own version of it now.

Icanman

Newly Enlightened
SR90 is a $400 flashlight? Holy cow...

What does it do that makes it so expensive?

Hellbore

Enlightened
What about this...

The DBS v3 and Thrunite Catapult appear to both be available in SST-50 versions.

My understanding is that with both these lights, the total output is higher with the SST-50 (significantly), but the THROW suffers. Is this correct?

Also, which throws better, the Catapult or DBS V3, in this configuration (SST-50)?

Thanks again for the info... Great stuff...

P.S. - That SR90 is very tempting, it would be fun to have a real monster light! The price is steep but I might do it... You know what they say, a fool and his money are soon parted!

Last edited: