LED's Adjustable power levels

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED\'s Adjustable power levels

After reading dozens of posts concerning the power outage, one thing is clear, LED lights that last a long time are very useful.

To me, that make a Light like ARC's LS4 even more valuable with it's multiple brightness levels.

I'm waiting for the LS5. Can you imagine 4 to 8 selectable power levels in a 5w(3w?) light, AND a brief super bright overdrive mode! Too cool!

From long lasting/low level to brief/super bright in one compact flashlight, yea!

GregR

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: LED\'s Adjustable power levels

I agree. Dimming is a tremendous plus, and I wish more manufacturers would take that into account.

Size15's

Flashaholic

This very topic of conversation with dicussed in depth over diner tonight in London. I left with one of the most amazing SureFires I've ever seen. Shame it's only for me to try out for a bit.

Al

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

Al
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic

Don't worry, it was made this time last year. I raided Shelby's parts box when I visited him after SS2003 and I can say that nobody else in the world has the same SureFire.

Back on topic,

Do people want to have continuous or staged adjustment?
And how would one operate the adjustment mechanism?

Al

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

tail clicky like on the brinkmann legend. click it on, and it can be rotated to adjust brightness. steps are ok, but would prefer variable resistor.
on fresh bats, the variable resistor (rheostat?) could be tuned to give light from full bright to palight-on-low.

the beauty: when you click it on, it will be in the last brightness setting.

if SF produces aa 2x123 KL1 with a tailcap like the one mentioned above, i will buy several!

Bob

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

Al
I'm not sure as to adjustments, but I think a 5 watt should
have more levels than a 1 watt. A 1 watt seems like it is
OK with 2 levels of light, something like a L1. I would
prefer a 5 watt to have 3 levels, one = ARC AAA, 2 = 1 watt
3 = 5 watt.

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here is a crude scetch of a semi-continous (locks at stages) variable R actuator.
variR.jpg

It's supposed to be waterproof with a flexible rubber boot, spaces filled with liquid to avoid collapse under ambient pressure. The white lines are channels to equalise the internal pressures.
the pink boxes are pressure sensors, the one not affected by the spring is there to normalise for ambient pressure.
The gizmo could be used to control the output of a bb
for instance, with a + and - input opamp to the iadj.
You can push the side of the button to disengage the
lock and change the brightness.

Size15's

Flashaholic

1W?
5W at minimum. Perhaps 5W is too dim (we shouldn't write-off the Luxeons just yet though)

Al

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think 3 stages is plenty, but then i like things kept simple. Too many choices is sometimes a bad thing.
For the adjustment mechanism, i think that something with a rotary action is ideal from an ergomic standpoint. It would be a lot more intuitive than reatedly jabbing a button to cycle through preset brightness levels. Imagine being able to twist the rubber shroud on the Z48 to change the brightness on your M2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, youre not running a KL4 on an L1 body are you?

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree with palidinbob, I think a mechanism where you click on the light with a tailswitch and then some sort of reostat-thingy to adjust the amount of light would be ideal.

I purchased a combination LED/incan. light and really did not like the concept of cycling through the different modes to get to the light output desired. It would be much more helpful to have the on/off switch sperate from the adjustability.

Just my .02 cents.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would prefer some type of rotary brightness control. Having said that, I think the mechanics and the reliabilty would be a big problem. There are digital pots that you can use to step up/down the resistance value (made by my former employer) that are typically used for something like this.

I would prefer to see 3 maybe 4 levels if they require a push on a switch, anything more would lead to excessive use constantly seeking the right level.

I think ARC is on the right track with their new LS4, low, med, high and a fry their eyes level!

GregR

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would prefer a few presets, not a fully adjustable scale/dimmer switch. A dimmer sounds great, but I think I would be constantly adjusting it, and wondering if my setting is exactly where I wanted it (did the know turn when I brushed my light against my leg, etc.).

Brock

Flashaholic

Al, I can't remember the lowest setting on that light. Is the lowest setting dimmer then the L1 on low?

In any case I would like about 4 steps. Stepping seems to be more reliable and it is rotated or clicked in position it should stay there. I would like a very dim setting though, less then the L1 in low and right up to the KL4 or brighter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Spango

Newly Enlightened

What about having a bluetooth interface so that you can adjust the light level using your PDA? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Okay, just kidding. I think some sort of fully adjustable scale/dimmer switch with a locking mechanism (to lock at that chosen light level) would be a nice feature to have. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Spango said:
What about having a bluetooth interface so that you can adjust the light level using your PDA?... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That would permit hackers to steal your settings /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brightnorm

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast

What about using tiny magnetic reed switches in the tailcap? As you rotate it, an actuator (magnet) closes each of the switches. Then each circuit has a different resistance, and acts to replace a trim pot.