Newbie with questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarshalMoroni

Newly Enlightened
Greetings to all of you Flashaholics,
I just bumped into this forum as I have been researching alternatives to my Streamlight Scorpion. Though I like it very much it's a bit big for daily pocket carry. Can't seem to get used to strapping things onto my belt, unless its a holster on a gun belt. But since I can't leagally carry a firearm in the great state of CA, I have been feeling the need to carry a bright, sorry Bad Guy, you can't see me light. Plus of course all of the other reasons a fellow might have for needing light.

So my question for you experts is can I use the Arc LS, to fill this bill? I've never seen one in person, but have read the reviews. Looks like a fabulous little light, but how bright is bright? If you know what I mean. I look forward to learning more.

Thanks for helping me out.

Marshal Moroni

notos&w

Enlightened
i would not recommend the LS for this purpose. while it is not wise to stare at the business end of the LS, many other lights put out much more light than an LS.
in your situation, id look at the E2E or L4. surefire considers 60 lumens the min. for "tactical" applications.

there really arent many lights appreciably smaller than the scorpion that are brighter or as bright.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
MarshalMoroni,
Welcome to CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif
The ARC LSH-P is the premium EDC, but I don't consider it a
tactical light.
You might want to check out the Surefire E2e HA. This is
small & bright, with good throw.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
or even wait for the LS4 with its "burst" mode if you're so inclined /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
in the meantime a surefire E2e or L4 seems the best alternative if you need a light bright enough to blind someone.

GearGuy

Newly Enlightened
at approx 25 lumens, the lsh-p is bright enough to blind someone in the dark. If someone's eyes have grown used to the dark... say 5-10mins of exposure, the LSH-P will surely make them see a big spot in the middle of their vision long enough to either run away or kick them in the mommy daddy button.

At the same time... the E2's 65 lumens will DEFINATELY put the singe on anyone looking into the beam, light or dark. My beef with them is that wmen I EDC'd one it would just be dead sometimes... or get dim fast. Then you have the fact that bulb replacement costs $20. I really try to leave as little trash behind as possible. Batteries are BAD TRASH. Even though I dispose of them properly, I feel a little better given the LSH's battery usage is 1/4 or less than the E2.

Yes sir, there's only one answer to your question...

The upcoming LS4. I could type all day and only touch upon the wealth of info supplied on the first few pages of threads in the Arc Forum.

On the other hand...

The LSH-P is a REALLY nice light. I might get a bashing for saying it, but for me, 65 lumens is tooooo bright for everyday applications. The current run of LS' has impressive output, but is still usable indoors. I find the E2 excessively bright unless I'm illuminating something over 25' away.

Something that has not been said, and is very important is that Arc is an investment quality product... meaning they do not depreciate very much, and in the future they will be collectors items. Something most folks will look right over in resale(junk) stores of 2045. But YOU... you will KNOW! That's a damn Arc!!! Get yourself an Arc and have a story to tell... free! Or just use it 'til somethin' better somes along and store it like you would anything of value 'til you wanna sell it! I reckon the LSH-P will be totally replaced by the LS4 in less than 6 months. After that, prolly 1/2 of them will swim around the market...which will become tighter and harder to find... until one day EVERY high bidder is a serious collector.

Me? It's just the light for me. Sure it has functions that outdo anything it's size and many bigger lights... It is also very pocket carry friendly. In your hand, it has the smooth, solid feel of an old zippo. Not to mention that all jeans, and a bunch of pants/shorts come outfitted with an LS pouch... unless you carry a pocket watch.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
GearGuy says,

[ QUOTE ]
I might get a bashing for saying it, but for me, 65 lumens is tooooo bright for everyday applications. The current run of LS' has impressive output, but is still usable indoors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said! I agree completely. It's not that there aren't situations where a really bright light isn't just the ticket, but FOR ME, an EDC light is just right at around the Arc LS's brightness level. (If I can only have one light level, which will not be the case when the LS4 comes out!)

Now, MarshalMoroni may certainly need more light for his tactical application, and the Arc LSH may not be the right light for him, but it's really an awesome, awesome light. The kind of product where you only truly appreciate the quality and excellence of design after many months, not to mention the ruggedness. It's a beauty of a light, and it's so easy to carry. No bulbs to replace, regulated output, and a reasonable run-length to boot.

It seems to me that the only light that is going to fit his needs is going to be the Arc LS4 with its burst feature (or whatever it is going to be named), given his need for a pocket carry light.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are looking to replace your Scorpion. The only thing on the market from a major manufacturer that may fill the bill, is the Surefire L4, with 65 lumens of light output. With surefire batteries, it is rated for 65 minutes of 65 lumens, followed by 25 minute of moderate light, then hours of 'useful' (enough to locate an extra pair of lithiums). It is built on the E2E executive elite body, and uses a 5 watt high dome luxeon in a surefire reflector.

It would certainly do, until the LS5 comes out.

GearGuy

Newly Enlightened
The upcoming LS4 will have a boost mode of 65 lumens. I may be wrong, but I believe that Peter discovered that the 1watt LS can actually handle 3watts for 5-10 seconds at a time w/ no prob. Also the run time will be INCREDIBLE due to the multi settings. Even 25 lumens it more than you need most of the time. Lower settings will allow more use! Also it's 1/2 the size of the SF L4!

jtice

Flashaholic
MarshalMoroni,
Welcome to CPF.

I dont think you are going to find something as bright as your scorpion AND smaller than it.
You will have to give up some brightness if you want it smaller.

The Arc LSH-P is plenty bright enough for daily use, and will throw very well for its size.
Mine throws ALMOST as far as my 2D M*Glight,,, but totally out performs it in every way.

If you HAVE to have that bright burst, to blind the bad guys, wait on the LS4, it will have an overdriven burst mode, which should be bright enough.

Goto the New and Improved BeamShot DataBase for tons of good beamshots, including the Arc LS.

Here is the beamshot I took of all my lights. LS included.
Click image for larger view.

Heres another good one with the LS included.... sorry, I couldn't find one of LS vs. Scorpion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Can anyone help with that???

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI everyone,

MarshalMoroni bought an Arc LS second. He posted that in the thread "Could not resist." Just thought I'd mention it.

MarshalMoroni

Newly Enlightened
Howdy Everyone, As JS pointed out I couldn't stand it anymore, so I ordered an Arc LS second. I really appreciate all of the advice anf the beamshots are incredibly helpful and convincing. I can't see how I could go wrong with an Arc-LS. I have already decided to started saving for the LS4 or 5 for the burst feature. Having a pocketable light as powerful as the Arc LS looks wonderful to me.

I'm sure i'll have more questions, especially when I get it and start playing / experimenting.

Thanks again,

Marshal Moroni

Status
Not open for further replies.