Glo-toob experience?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am interested in this light; specifically the FX version. I have read what I can on CPF and Craig's site, and was wondering what experience any of you have with them. How much light is given off? Brightest color reports seem to vary. How easy is it to change modes? What is the most inexpensive place to purchase?

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the older Glo-toob, and while effective as a marker light, it is near useless for actual lighting. I can barely read a printed page with the glo-toob held right up to the paper.

Streak

Enlightened
I have played extensively with both models. As Kakster mentioned, it is a superb marker light, better and brighter than any of the others I have tried (Krill, Cyalume etc. etc.) If you place some black tape over one side of the light turning it into a 180 degree light source it becomes easier to read with as you dont blind yourself in the process.
The green has the best perceived brightness. Mode changing is easy once you follow the instructions. In strobe mode the battery lasts many weeks on every night for 8 hours.

They are virtually indestructable. I have dived with mine many times and thrown it acroos thr garden at night for the kids to go and find. I have EMT friends who use it as a marker at accident scenes at night.

Contact Frank at CountyComm and see if he can do you a deal.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not expecting readable light levels per se; I am wondering how visible the glo-toob is at distance.

Streak, I sent CountyComm an email.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I've never seen the FX version - just the regular style.
I'm probably preaching to the chorus here, but I'll say it anyway. The Glo-Toob is meant to be a marker light, not a true flashlight. It can be used in place of Cyalume chemical light sticks or Krill lights, and you can dive with them if that's your bag too. The Glo-Toob was tested to 11,500 feet underwater (not by me of course - my tub and toliet aren't that deep!), and rated for 300 feet. And I don't think divers would go much below 300 feet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
So you can use them in horrible weather, and not have to worry about them. You can also throw them in the pool for the kids to go after. They're definitely waterproof, not just water resistant. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Streak

Enlightened
They are very visible from long distances. I know that many (both IR an visible) have been supplied to the military to mark drop zones for paratroopers.

There are up to 6 LEDS, depending on colour (Vf) in each Glo-Toob. Thet all reflect off a machined Aluminium slg and the whole lot glows in a 360 degree pattern. They really are bright.

Elnath

Newly Enlightened
I use one as an industructable tent nightlight for my kids. Just about perfect for a tent light (couldn't read by it, but you can see around the interior just fine). Mine's amber old style.

Cones

Enlightened
Check my review site link below for a review on the Glo Toob FX. I really like them, compared with the Krill that I have they are far brighter and smaller in size, but the Krill does take standard AA batteries where this needs a 12V 23A cell.

Mark

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Streak said:
Contact Frank at CountyComm and see if he can do you a deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does CountyComm sell the Glow-Toob? I can't find it on their site. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Peter

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I know that Pocketlights.com has the Glo-Toob (that's where I got mine from last summer), but I don't know if they have the FX version yet or not.

(Edit) I was just on there, and they DO have the Glo-Toob FX.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Phaserburn said:
Just ordered one from www.fourseasonssurvival.com in Pennsylvania. $30.95. FX model, in green.

[/ QUOTE ]

That site seems to be locked up for me, anyone else having the same problem? I can get the main page, but can't navigate anywhere else.

I called Countycomm just half an hour ago and they said they don't sell the Glo-Toob?

Peter

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nevermind, the site is working now, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif but I don't see the FX model, only the original Toob.

Peter

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
They don't have it on the site yet; I emailed them for availability. Address your email to Keri-Lynn /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Shipping is around $4.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the link Phaserburn, I just ordered a blue and green. From what I have seen, that is a great price on the FX Toob! I've been wanting to check these out for a while but couldn't quite do it for $45. Very reasonable shipping makes it that much sweeter! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Peter

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't it? I thought it was a good price, too, and didn't want to spend 44+shipping=$50!! Keri-Lynn was very nice to deal with, and does same day shipping.

Can't wait to get mine; I will be taking my family to an outdoors jazz concert on the New Haven Green this Saturday night, and will use the Toob to provide our blanket/chairs location to the kids and folks after dark (amongst several thousands of people) when they go to the vendors, restrooms, etc. I think one of the blinking modes...

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Considering all the question about the battery, I was wondering if someone could do a runtime graph of this beast?

Thanks,

-john

Streak

Enlightened
I dont have the facility to do a graph but I ran the FX in 50% mode every night, 6 hours for a week before it got noticably dim.

In strobe mode the battery never seems to die, I just lost patience switching it on and off every day.

The battery is used in many cigarette lighters as well as vehicle/garage remote controls. Although not quite as available as AA/AAA's I have bever had a problem finding them and they are quite cheap.

I have tested the circuit used in the FX. Attached it to an LS running at 400ma using an external 12v power supply. It's been flashing away illuminating my workshop for more than a week.