Headlamps? Black Diamond Ion

dasfx

Newly Enlightened
Hey all,
I think I'm gonna need a new headlamp. My GF took my Zipka on a trip and seems to have left it behind. I loved the Zipka because it was small, light, and worked very well. I don't really need a full fledged headlamp, but would like to have one around. So I thought I would ask here. After all, when it comes to things that light up when you shove batteries in them, this is the place.
I was wondering if anyone has any impressions of the Black Diamond Ion? Thanks!

Dasfx

shrap

Enlightened
Is this the headlamp with strange 6v batteries?

I've handled one in a store; it is very, very small and very cool. It makes the Tikka/Zipka look bulky by comparison. But I can't get over the fact that battery changes are $5 a pop, if you can find them.

Grummond

Newly Enlightened
I've seen the Black Diamond Ion over here in some camping stores. It brought a smile to my face but I think I feel the same way about it as shrap. I really don't want to go buying lights that need coin cell batteries, not only because of cost but because they are not always easy to get hold of.
I always feel that coin cells batteries are great in watches where you get anywhere from 1 to 5 years of constant use, at $5 each battery change it's never a problem but in a flashlight where often times you get a few minutes of peak light before dimming, to me that does not seem so good.
I bought myself a Black Diamond Moonlight over a year ago, I find it to be a no nonsense reliable headlight, I like the positive feel of the switch and it seems to be very well made.
I did have a Zipka but it broke after falling on a hard floor.
If you don't want a full fledged headlamp I think you'd be better off buying another Zipka than the BD Ion.
Just a thought but if I am going out and don't want to take a headlight but feel I might need one I simply take a NitEze headband. I nearly always have my BB400QL3 on me so if the situation calls for both hands and a light I quickly slip the BB400QL3 in the headband and I'm set.
Also the BB400QL3 is much brighter than any of the commonly used LED headlights such as the BD Moonlight or Zipka not that brighter is always better but then the Opalec is another light I have used many times as a headlight with the NitEze. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif