Just recieved Surefire E1B backup, mixed thoughts on Quality Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just recieved my E1B backup from UPS about an hour ago. Very nice little light but I immediately bothered by the quality control on this light. First thing, some small spots of anodizing are missing along the head of the light and a small chip on the tailcap. Not a huge deal, as these spots are very small, I'm not happy about it but it isn't a big enough issue to worry too much about. Second, small spots of what I'm thinking is glue are present on the light, they seem to come off with with your fingernail so not a big deal but not the kind of workmanship I expect from a $139 light. Issue three, there are 3 small marks or scratches present on the TIR "reflector, ok I know not a reflector but you get the idea" they don't seem to affect the beam but I don't know if this is a common issue with these TIR lights. I don't own a camera so I can't take a picture but when the light is on low mode if you tilt it on an angle the small scratches are visible. here's a thread desciribing a similar thing, though the scratches on the TIR is abit worse that the photo in the thread https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/254687
Can any other TIR light owners please share if their lights make this same issue?
And is the lens supposed to look sort of "cloudy", not dirty, when looked at, cause all my other lights the lens is obviously clear but this TIR equipped light looks cloudy when viewed when the light is on.

beavo451

Newly Enlightened
Bought new from a reputable source?

Mine was perfect and the lens is a little cloudy. Its a few years old now though.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TIR's use delicate materials and often have scratches on the surface. They don't affect the beam however.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TIR's use delicate materials and often have scratches on the surface. They don't affect the beam however.

Well they are more like marks not so much scratches. Also, can you comment on the percived "cloudyness" of the lens. I am guessing this is normal on TIR lights, all my other surefire lights have a crystal clear lens, but then again they don't use the TIR optic.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Marks, scrathes, scuff... all the same thing.

I'm not sure what you mean by "cloudyness", but often the lenses can have opaque appearance at certain angles.
I believe it is due to the AR coating. It can also have a purple hue.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Also, can you comment on the percived "cloudyness" of the lens. I am guessing this is normal on TIR lights, all my other surefire lights have a crystal clear lens, but then again they don't use the TIR optic.
I know what you mean, I have a modest collection of SF's and my TIR SF L1 is as you describe - but it's really very minimal. I imagine it's normal & nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
The lens is cloudy for slight diffusion.

I promise you'll be really happy with the E1B. Just stop staring down the barrel and drop it in your pocket. You'll be another satisfied customer, and in no time at all you'll forget that even a "high end" light like the E1B can have some aesthetic issues.

Surefire's promise to customers is of a durable, reliable light that you can trust in even the worst of conditions. Not a perfect jewel to be kept in a velvet-lined box or behind a glass case. That "big money" is spent on getting the most reliable internals and a durable, precisely machined interior. Not on making sure users armed with a magnifying glass can't find imperfections.

Last edited:

Dan FO

Enlightened
The cloudiness you describe is actually a slight film used to smooth out the beam. Most of my TIR Surefires have the marks you are talking about. It's common. That Backup is a great little light a throws really well.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
The cloudiness you describe is actually a slight film used to smooth out the beam. Most of my TIR Surefires have the marks you are talking about. It's common. That Backup is a great little light a throws really well.

Yeah the cloudyness is not really an issue. The inside of the glass lens could be cleaner though, it appears abit smuged, and there is a 1/4 inch scratch on the glass itself, nothing I can't live with though. I'm so used to seeing the crystal clear lens' of my other surefire's I am a bit upset at how "smudged or I guess dirty you could say" the glasss lens is. Now the marks or scratches on the TIR itself, although they don't affect the beam, I am not happy about it. I don't know if these marks are from the manuafacturing process or what but I am hoping that this is a common issue.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah the cloudyness is not really an issue. The inside of the glass lens could be cleaner though, it appears abit smuged, and there is a 1/4 inch scratch on the glass itself, nothing I can't live with though. I'm so used to seeing the crystal clear lens' of my other surefire's I am a bit upset at how "smudged or I guess dirty you could say" the glasss lens is. Now the marks or scratches on the TIR itself, although they don't affect the beam, I am not happy about it. I don't know if these marks are from the manuafacturing process or what but I am hoping that this is a common issue.
If you not happy with the light, then you are not happy. You say that the light has external scratches on the HAIII finish - not good enough. Send it back for a replacement.

I bought a used E1B from the MarketPlace - it had no external scratches or TIR scratches. The glass window did not have any 'smudges' at all - it was perfect and that was a 1 year old light that had been EDC'd.

Good luck,

James....:)

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys to be honest I am so sick of RMA's and returns I almost want to puke, literally. Besides,even if I did return it there is a chance that the replacement could be worst.

Last edited:

seale_navy

Enlightened
hiii...

i have seen e1b with like small scratches in the TIR lens when u switch on the 5 lumen mode.

however, you can always go back to surefire for a warranty replacement. Also, about the glue, sometimes the glue comes off with the anodising if u try to scrap it off though but i have seen a few e1b that has the glue stain.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast

DimeRazorback, in this thread https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/254687 you mention that most of your lights that use the TIR lens have these marks, scratches or imprefections on the TIR itself, can you elaborate on how many marks there are on average or how bad they are, or do you have any photos of these imprefections?

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
hiii...

i have seen e1b with like small scratches in the TIR lens when u switch on the 5 lumen mode.

however, you can always go back to surefire for a warranty replacement. Also, about the glue, sometimes the glue comes off with the anodising if u try to scrap it off though but i have seen a few e1b that has the glue stain.

They are actually more like wide marks than small scratches, and to be clear I'm not talking about these marks on the glass lense, they are on TIR optic itself.

purelite

Enlightened
I would send it in to SF. They will make it right but it could take a cpl weeks or a month. I agree that for the money it should be flawless. This stuff that its made to be a mans tool and a mans tool comes with flaws is hogwash. Part of a top of the line product is overall QC. If I get a car or a bike or whatever and it has scratches in the paint and the salesmen says just pay up you wuss and if you drive it like a real man its gonna get banged up anyway I am walking out the door. Seriously.

Theres too many issues to just accept it and you are obviously bothered by it so dont hesitate.

dcycleman

Enlightened
If the beams good then keep it. I bet there is nothing functionally wrong with your light. I bought an e1b a few months ago and mine had some anodizing wear right out of the package too, like where it was rubbing during shipping or something. Its by far my fave now. just use it, you wont be sorry.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
DimeRazorback, in this thread https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/254687 you mention that most of your lights that use the TIR lens have these marks, scratches or imprefections on the TIR itself, can you elaborate on how many marks there are on average or how bad they are, or do you have any photos of these imprefections?

Yes they do.

To be honest I have never sat there and counted them out as I feel it is redundant. I would guess 3-4 :shrug:
They aren't "bad" and none of them affect the function of the lights at all, or the beam characteristics on a white wall.

I don't live at home during the weeks so I don't have any TIR lights in front of me right now, but I can check on the weekend.

With that said, if you really are unhappy with the light I recommend that you get it replaced or get a refund. None of the issues you are mentioning are affecting the function of the light, so maybe it isn't the light for you.
I am not saying that your concerns aren't valid, but a SF has a higher price tag for a number of reasons, but a few marks on a TIR lens or a few specs of missing ano that don't affect the function of the light aren't any of them.

If you want a single CR123 light that is perfection in function and construction you really have to look at the higher price range lights and go to customs.

Status
Not open for further replies.